Watch of Today

mk3

Today its a Vostok Amphibia from the 80's I think I'm sure someone will put me right. Its one of a group of 4 I won on the bay all none running but with a set of 4 movements used as spare donors purchased from the Ukraine for £5 yes that's 5 whole English pounds including postage they've all been serviced and are running a dream 3 of them including this one I had to re-lume. Now I have a dilemma do I leave them be or do I mod them ie pepsi type bezel new dial nato type strap or should they be left original your thoughts are as always welcome.IMG_0506[1].JPG

To me the answer is easy. Mod away! Just carefully mark and store the parts that you replace, so that you can restore the watch to original condition if you want to. Even if you sell the watch, you can offer the parts to the buyer, or if they are not interested, then you have parts to restore other watches!

• Like 1

think I'll try one to start with I know some people like to mod but there's something about a watch in its original state with chips dents an all it shows its age I think I'll mod one to sell see if I make any money back or I may really like it and end up keeping it :D

P_20160802_194253_1_p.jpgWearing hand-winding Rigi, I believe it has a ST96 movement. Has red accents on the hands, markers and rehaut (minute track).

Being a handwind it's quite thin and sits nicely under the sleeve.

This watch came from Turkey and others I've seen on the net cone from there as well. Local brand?

BTW that's not a modified bezel insert. The markings are painted directly on the bezel and it has worn round the edges, giving the impression that someone has modified a bezel from another watch to fit.

Anil 

• Like 1

Wearing a hand-wind Elgin. Got it with a badly damaged dial with the lacquer lifting off...gave it a scrub and underneath was this nicely suffered finished. Powered by a nice Elgin 524 movement.

P_20160805_100710_1_p.jpg

Have a good weekend everyone!

Anil

• Like 3

Looks as though the square ones are a little rare...

The one above now has new hands fitted, those originals had really faded and discoloured--not so easy to see in that picture so have been replaced--exactly the same type--but nice bright and clean with fresh lume. The faded day-glo almost yellow seconds-hand is now replaced by nice new bright orange one.

Only the case and crystal left to sort out......Then I'll have to stop wearing it every day for fear of damage--No free lunch!

• Like 2