Waltham Traveller 16S

Well after stripping and cleaning and looking through my little ebay 60x mono microscope at all things on the movement including, replacing a roller jewel and table, using a staking set for the first time, swapping out jewels, pinning and un pinning hairsprings buying 3 extra movements on ebay for extra parts, realising after lots of checking that the balance staffs are .1 of a mm to short so fitted another, all this plus pegging the jewel holes and rubbing the jewel faces etc etc.

only to have the movement work intermittently, very annoying and frustrating, I was going through multiple train checks wheel by wheel the multiple wheels all were moving freely etc. In the end tonight I had that eureka moment after a small washer from the ratchet wheel stuck to my tweezers the light bulb ill e minted above my head, yep get the demagnetiser out and put the whole movement over it, both sides (twice) and yeeess it's now running approx 1min fast on my ticko print app on my tablet, not bad for a movement from 1908 that was presented by a Lt Flathers and men of the 283rd Royal Field Artillery ( to who I don't know as that's all the inscription says) so it's dated from the first world war.

I will let it run in different positions over the weekend and see how it runs, its a keeper purely for its history.

The only question is, is that it's in an elgin case? I have read somewhere that some waltham made under licence in the UK were fitted to elgin cases but I can't remember where and im sure they weren't but maybe someone here will know different.

moral of the story do the simple stuff aswell as the hard stuff in the beginning of a project to save yourself 3 weeks of frustration.

Edited by transporter
  • Like 2

Been a tad busy this weekend so apologies for the delay in posting, but here are a few pictures of the strip etc.

First one is a general picture of the start

92527D88-0164-430B-B9AD-336859E95C81_zps

And abit further in to the strip down, starting to find lots of crud in the movement now

1230FC70-7424-443D-A28D-9F3DC0B20629_zps

And a strange blue in colour dried up substance that I can only assume is old oil

638B7013-0051-470A-BCC3-15CAFFA7DDEA_zps

You can see it pretty clearly where the pallet fork sits

8ABB69E9-97D6-48CE-80DB-5B9C15B53F25_zps

And now after a good clean I just test fit everything for the first of many many times in this project

F054CA9E-50CB-4516-911A-7697ADA78EDB_zps

Here's the original hairspring, I soaked it in hairspring cleaner but the rust stayed, also after purchasing a couple more spare movements I also realised the balance staff was 0.1mm too short so I had to change that aswell as replacing the hairspring

1AD16E13-3DE2-4FB5-BE47-5C6FA5D42EB3_zps

Here's the replacement hairspring re pinned and also the roller table and roller jewel fitted, I have to say roller jewels seem to disappear very well from these movements, out of 4 movements only one had a whole roller jewel present.

After lightly pressing the roller table onto the staff and fitting the hairspring to the cock I manipulated the table so that when the hairspring came to rest the roller jewel was as near as dammit smack in the middle of the banking pins, I then staked it in place.

F1C8DDD1-1F7E-4D3D-8330-C940B774A691_zps

So after much wheel swapping and a plate swap and also swapping the jewels on the balance cock for a decent set I finally got it together and running after I demagnetised the whole movement fully cased up (twice both sides)

This picture is a genuine shot of the time after 24 hrs of running after being set to the time on my tablet when I fully wound and set it going, as you can see it's just on a minute slow on its first full run in god knows how many years, not bad for a non jewelled (apart from the balance) movement.

I have to say I'm more than happy with the result, it's still going strong after 2 days in my jeans pocket being bounced around.

B1B10FF2-6E06-4797-AA0A-FFAE143A7F4A_zps

Edited by transporter
  • Like 3

That's the Beauty of these old watches. The history that goes with them. Very unusual to find a British inscription like that on an Elgin case and not to be confused with Elgin watchmaker as they were different companies. Never heard of Waltham being made here under licence. The movements were imported into UK and normally cased by Dennison.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'll post a picture of the inscription in the morning, forgot to add it to my photo bucket earlier, next project is an elgin 18s with he balance that sits on the top plate and the pallet fork sits in that little turret feature in the top plate, thats gonna be a test for my patience getting everything lined up between them plates

I've done a few Waltham full plate movement's. There not that bad depending on what's been done to them in the past. The tricky bit is the pallet (English lever) When you remove the bottom plate you have to angle it and rotate it several degree's to clear the Lever. Before you lift the plate away you must ensure you've fully cleared the Lever. If not and your lucky the Lever will come away with the plate (No harm done.) But your more likely to snap the pivot in the top plate hole. Have a look on Ebay and see whether you can get an old movement for parts and practice on that first.

Tony

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nice post and thread. It was quite common for watch movements by one maker to be housed or re-housed in cases by another maker at that time. American pocket watch movements and cases were of regular and similar sizes, so a 16s movement (say) would fit snugly into a 16s Elgin case, a Waltham case, a Dueber case, Dennison case, etc. The choice of case material varied - such as gold, gold-filled, gold-plated, silver, silveroid, etc. Silveroid was particularly interesting, being as bright as silver but much more hard-wearing - a particular favourite with railroad men - and was an alloy of copper and nickel.

• 2 weeks later...