Waltham Traveller 16S

On 26/03/2016 at 3:41 PM, jdrichard said:

Strange because they all start with A and 5 numbers not 6??

Not really must watch makers had their own code when it came to marking. This way I said only the repairer would know. This is a practice I never ever did. I kept a book with every repair carried out, with the antique clocks I would right up all the work carried out including parts made and hand the list and old parts to the owner.

• Like 1

Not really must watch makers had their own code when it came to marking. This way I said only the repairer would know. This is a practice I never ever did. I kept a book with every repair carried out, with the antique clocks I would right up all the work carried out including parts made and hand the list and old parts to the owner.

Good insight. Now for the second last question, how do I remove the stem from this watch without disassembling it? Is these a trick.

If you still want to remove the stem you first have to take the movement out as described by oldhippy.

You should rarely have to remove the stem but if you need to, with the movement out, push the crown back in to extend the amount of square stem showing inside the case. Grip the stem carefully across the square with small pliers then using the fingers of your other hand unscrew the crown from the stem. ( Some watches have a small grub screw through the crown so loosen that )

You will then need a special shaped tool to unscrew the adjuster inside the tube where the crown fits. The stem and adjuster sleeve will come out through the top.

You can then separate the stem and adjuster by pulling them apart in opposite directions with your fingers.

Re-fitting is the exact reversal of the above.

The little adjusting sleeve is to hold the stem within the case and also to adjust the position of the stem in relation to the movement.

You will see that it has four slots cut in it like the collet in a lathe and it allows the stem to be held in place but still lets the stem revolve for winding and hand reseting.

Be careful with this because it is hardened and will easily break if you try to prize it open. Just use your fingers to separate it from the stem.

The adjusting sleeve is often in pieces when you remove it but it can still be used if there are enough of the four legs in place.

Edited by Alaskamick

2 hours ago, Alaskamick said:

If you still want to remove the stem you first have to take the movement out as described by oldhippy.

You should rarely have to remove the stem but if you need to, with the movement out, push the crown back in to extend the amount of square stem showing inside the case. Grip the stem carefully across the square with small pliers then using the fingers of your other hand unscrew the crown from the stem. ( Some watches have a small grub screw through the crown so loosen that )

You will then need a special shaped tool to unscrew the adjuster inside the tube where the crown fits. The stem and adjuster sleeve will come out through the top.

You can then separate the stem and adjuster by pulling them apart in opposite directions with your fingers.

Re-fitting is the exact reversal of the above.

The little adjusting sleeve is to hold the stem within the case and also to adjust the position of the stem in relation to the movement.

You will see that it has four slots cut in it like the collet in a lathe and it allows the stem to be held in place but still lets the stem revolve for winding and hand reseting.

Be careful with this because it is hardened and will easily break if you try to prize it open. Just use your fingers to separate it from the stem.

The adjusting sleeve is often in pieces when you remove it but it can still be used if there are enough of the four legs in place.

That's a hard way of going about it. If you don't get the adjuster right you can have all kinds of problems in getting the depth right for winding and setting the hands. You need the proper tool to remove the adjuster. This should only be undertaken as a last resort.

10 minutes ago, Alaskamick said:

old hippy, surely thats the correct way to remove a stem.

What would you do?

I'm not saying its not correct, it is fiddly. The pocket watch has a two piece stem. The person wants to remove the movement from its case which I have explained in one of my previous posts. You would only need to go through the fiddly task if say the sleeve of the adjuster had broken or the part stem in the case had broken. If all is well there is no need to remove it. 

• Like 1

I think when you get the movement out you will be able to see whether the stem is tight or the keyless work within the movement is tight. When you get to that stage you will know where to move to next.

Usually the crown and stem in a Waltham case are quite sloppy.

It would be better if you start another thread that describes these watches JD as the title  the tread does not reflect the new content.  I say this because anyone looking for so thing in particular sully checks the thread titles first.  This title specifically says Waltham Traveller 16S.

Geo!

It would be better if you start another thread that describes these watches JD as the title  the tread does not reflect the new content.  I say this because anyone looking for so thing in particular sully checks the thread titles first.  This title specifically says Waltham Traveller 16S.

Geo!

Sorry and will do

• Like 1