A Long Tradition :)

MrBeat

Its funny how despite having handled and still handling so many timepieces i have never bought a watch brand new for myself. So with a few ideas in mind i decided to bite the bullet and say yes, treat yourself :)

Whilst i do still love my Omegas,JLC's and Rolex's, they are all pre-owned and have always been someone else's first. My first watch which i bought myself was actually a Casio but that was well over 25 years ago now and i felt the need to finally have something i can happily say is mine, and mine first. The problem i had is likely the problem we all have as watch lovers, and that's choice, so with a few key factors in mind i thought about and searched for my perfect everyday wear watch.

Its been a long tradition in the male side of my family to buy a Seiko, my great grandfather and grandfather both had Seiko's as has my own father ( in fact he has had 3 ;) ). I myself have owned a few good Seiko's, again these have been used, never new. So in keeping with a family tradition i set about finding one that was just right and ticked the boxes.

Requirements >

Good Looking - Both daily and Dress

Reliable Quality Movement 

Tough & Waterproof

Value for money 

Fully Automatic with day & date

Comfortable 

This is what i found and fell in love with.....

Seiko SNZF17 K1 - aka Sea Urchin 

DSC02123_zpskithh4qv.jpg

DSC02124_zpsz1bnlhu8.jpg

DSC02126_zpszcgalbuc.jpg

It's still very factory fresh and running a little fast ( i expect it to settle down after a few days of wear ) but she fits like a glove. The watch is stunning quality for the money ( £90 with free shipping :) ) with a very good strap that is heavy but comfortable. It is still early days but i have to say im impressed with the quality, and for what i paid i think i have a good daily wearer.

I may be investing in another Seiko in the future ;)

Just sharing my thoughts :)

• Like 4

Interesting, the first thought I had when I read the second sentence was 'I hope it's a Seiko' and sure enough - thats what you got. Well done!

I reckon you have made an excellent choice for an everyday watch.

And looked after well, this watch will out last all the board members I will wager.

When asked and money is not an endless supply I always recommend Seiko & if  accuracy is their thing quartz. If quality is required and willing to spend a few grand then Rolex or Omega BUT not new buy a used one from reputable dealer.

Thanks for the replies guys and yes Mark id imagine it will outlast most of the members here ;)

My Grand Father's Seiko lasted over 30 years without issue and many i have owned i have passed on in fine working order. It is quite pleasing when you get something far nicer in quality than you expect and having paid only a small sum.

I feel i may have to add further additions to my collection ( vintage Speedtimer ;) ), but there's no rush im going to enjoy this one for sometime. :)

Dear MrBeat,

You could not have made a better decision. I wear nearly the same watch every day and it has never failed or disappointed, even in my line of work.

I've done a few things to mine to make it my own. If that interests you the possibilities are endless.

If I may make one humble suggestion, replacing the crystal with a sapphire is not too pricey and moves the watch even further into "works flawlessly, no drama" territory.

Here's a link in case you're interested. I have no relation/interest in the seller, but I have purchased a fair number of crystals from him and they've worked just fine: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Sapphire-Crystal-Flat-Watch-Crystals-Diameter-27-5mm-40-5mm-2-5-mm-thick-/301651086575

Take care,

Mute

• 8 months later...

The high-end Seikos and Orient watches cost a fraction of the "big bucks" Swiss brands with identical quality and durability.

A fraction.. not really. A basic Grand Seiko cost like a basic Rolex or Omega, maybe a bit less depending on exchange rate and in-country taxes. A premium one.. like a premium Swiss one. Precious metals and one-off units, same story. Seiko savings is only in entry-level.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...