Name of the parts described?

DFKG

Hello all, I am totally new to W.R and am glad to be here. I've introduced myself but this is my first question. Please forgive my ignorance as I am also new to movement work..... I am in the middle of disassembling my first ever movement, a cheap slava 2428. There are two jewels in this movement which are held in by a brass ring with 3 tiny lugs around its outside which slot under a recess in the movements casing. One of which is on the top of the balance wheel. Well one of these pinged out of my tweezers across the room and god only knows where it is!!!(beginner,lol...) Could someone please tell me what this type of jewel and it's lugged brass ring are called so I can order a new one. And the best place to get them from would also help... Many thanks......

Edited by DFKG
Mistake

• DFKG changed the title to Name of the parts described?

Looking at the Ranfft entry; http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Slava_2428 this seems to be a difficult movement for a first attempt - see his comments about the stem and the calendar - so go carefully.

Re the lost jewel and setting, someone may be able to provide a parts list to identify them, but they may not be available any longer. You could buy an assortment, and hope something fits or can be modified, or (best option) keep looking for the part you lost. They usually turn up sooner or later.

Edited by Klassiker

As @Klassiker has already said the 3 lugged ring you refer to is actually the shock protection spring, and if you can't find it your best bet is to track down a donor movement (eBay perhaps?) and cannibalise one from that.

The Slava 2428 is a fun movement, and a bit different from the norm. If you want any guidance on your rebuild check out the link;

https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/5232-those-crazy-russians-my-1000th-post/?tab=comments#comment-53022

On 9/30/2021 at 8:49 AM, Nucejoe said:

Are you talking about the shock spring?  

Every watch repairman hides a strong magnet in his bag of tricks.

Strong magnet will find the spring for you sooner or the next day. 🤠

Regs

I would of thought a magnet anywhere near watch making tools & parts would be a bad thing? Your gonna say I need a demagnetiser now? Lol... Even now some of the tiny screws slightly stick to certain tools like there slightly magnetised! Is that a bad thing? Do u recommend demagnetising everything I work on? Or is that slight amount not worth worrying about? Probably due to cheap tools?

3 minutes ago, DFKG said:

I would of thought a magnet anywhere near watch making tools & parts would be a bad thing? Your gonna say I need a demagnetiser now? Lol... Even now some of the tiny screws slightly stick to certain tools like there slightly magnetised! Is that a bad thing? Do u recommend demagnetising everything I work on? Or is that slight amount not worth worrying about? Probably due to cheap tools?

Demagin all parts and tools is a good idea. 

I let the spring find my magnet first and demag if your have a demag -er.  Considering the small mass of the spring, its not going to affect surrounding parts much, not strong enough to make hairspring coils stick. I doubt your timegrapher would notice the difference.

Regs

• Similar Content

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Following on from my question about identifying screws in the AS2063 movement that basically fell out of the case in bits, I’m pleased to report that I’ve got it all back together, and the movement is running pretty well.    But… There’s something wrong with the keyless works and hand setting. It’s fine in winding and quickset date position - these work - but in hand setting position winding the crown turns the whole gear train.  I don’t really understand how it’s meant to work. It doesn’t have a traditional friction fit cannon pinion.  The second wheel is unusual with a pair of smaller pinions on it, which seem to interact with the barrel and the motion works.    Could this be the problem? I must admit I just cleaned it and popped it in place when reassembling the gear train. I’ve lubricated the pivots but didn’t do anything to the extra bits on the second wheel.    Does this make sense and is anyone able to figure out what I’m doing wrong? Thanks in advance, as always.    ETA - the parts list calls it the Great Wheel, not second wheel. 
    • You're thinking metal to jewel in general I guess. Maybe it would be a good idea to peg the pallet staff jewel hole on the main plate after the epilame treatment. I think that could work as it is my impression that the epilame doesn't sit very hard, but I could be wrong about that so feel free to educate me. I didn't remember that 9501 was thixotropic (thanks for the link). That would mean it's even runnier during impact (lower viscosity) so perhaps it's time I get some fresh grease as mine seems a bit too runny. What I have seen is a whitish surface after washing but it goes away if I scrub the surface with a brush in a degreaser (Horosolv). I don't think it embeds itself in the metal but sticks very hard to the metal. I don't worry too much about the cleaning solution. I just want perfectly clean parts and my solution can be replaced for little money (ELMA RED 1:9). Anyway, I quite often need "to strip back and rebuild" and scrubbing parts by hand isn't exactly the most stimulating part of a service. Just got confirmation that Moebius 9501 has a lower viscosity (68 at 20° C) than 9504 (305 at 20°). The viscosity of Molykote DX is 285-315 at -25° to +125° C. I was surprised to see that the viscosity of Moebius 9010 (thin oil!) is higher (150 cSt at 20°) than my 9501 grease.
    • I’ve had a couple movements where it is clear the previous watchmaker was diligent with lubrication but the old epilam had turned to a fine white powder covering the pallet fork and keyless parts, which can’t be good for parts. I’m spare with epi since I don’t know how long it takes to degrade to that state…
    • I have read some suggestions that it can cause wear , particularly on the fork horns of a fully treated pallet fork. I've had half a kilo of steriac acid powder on a shelf for almost a year now, might have a little play today with a heater and a jar.  I think its because it gets into their cleaning solutions Mike. Theirs or anyone else's that services the watch next time, or if they need to strip back and rebuild. Could preclean but thats all time for a pro. I thought the idea was for the epilame to create a barrier, a wall between the lubrication and anything else, so the lube cant spread.
    • As I'm only cleaning watches in small numbers at home, I pre-clean any significant deposits of old grease and oil before using the cleaning solutions. I scrape off deposits with pegwood and Rodico, and if really dirty, wash parts in naphtha with a brush.  So I'm happy using DX, but can understand why it's avoided by the pros.