Longines 19AS movement in need of a new crown and winding stem, a new incabloc spring and a jewel on the top of the balance wheel.

Hello,

This is my first time posting on here because I figured I needed some serious help and I'm an infant in the watch servicing hobby. I don't really know much about the lingo so just bear with me please. 

The movement in question was one that I purchased off Ebay with not much of a description. I needed it for a history project and it was relatively cheaper than the other options. Looking back on it now it was dumb to even buy it. 

I tried to solve the issue of not having a jewel that'll fit the balance by buying one online on a website called URDELAR.SE. Incase you would like to give it a look and see if I got the right one, the part number and item description is here:

VAT No:SE559196569301

Item: Longines Shock-Resist, Insetting for balance upper and lower

Description: SKU: L-Shock-Resist

IMG_6660.thumb.jpg.e524f6acfb5f43bf0665d6e28b9832a8.jpgIMG_6662.thumb.jpg.e4287ce2699a3435d52b925659b341c4.jpg

If you took a look at the part then you'll notice that it looks nothing like it should, but the website said it fit a Longines 19AS movement. I dont know if I was mislead or something because today (April 12th 2024) I tried to place it into the chaton holder. I was met with the unfortunate surprise that the jewel doesn't even reach the pivot because of the interior angle in the chaton holder. Maybe I'm putting it in wrong but I'm not sure. I've tried looking for sources that would tell me how to put this thing in there, but to no such luck. 

I may also need some help taking out that chaton holder but I think I'm way to inexperienced with that and I dont have an incabloc press. 

It's not totally obvious in the pictures, but, the jewel that I purchased (left image) is way smaller than the diameter of the chaton holder. But the metal ring on the outside (Imma assume thats the spring) blocks the jewel from going anywhere near the pivot of the balance. I know I said I purchased the jewel and not a spring and a jewel before but I'm a bit too lazy to go and find where I said that.

My question is to anyone, could you please help me? Even if you direct me to a different website, thats still helps.  

To prompt my second question, I also had an issue with the winding stem. It came broken. 

I'm not sure what kind of information I would need to show someone on the case itself but what I can tell you is that the crown and stem are very tiny. 

Could someone direct me to a website that could help me find a new crown and stem?

Reguards,

tripleman

We like new members to make an introduction before you start to post.

You say you don't know very much about watch repairing. What you are trying to do is normally carried out by those that have very good experience in their advanced apprenticeship.  

I was looking at your pictures and maybe this is an optical illusion but it appears to be you have hairspring issues

image.png.33d4bd729102853353398c5a69c029ea.png

Then one of the sources I like for watch parts is this

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=LON_19AS

What would be nice to see the other side of the balance bridge because of give us an idea of what's holding in your balance jewel assembly as it will have to come apart to get the spring in. Plus we can have a look at your balance wheel and see how bad the hairspring really is

then I found a listing of the balance parts Of the shock system

image.png.85f9a73020cb3022a6266a05a7500988.png

Then they get a better idea of things I have an image of what the upper jewel assembly looks like

image.png.a8bb2285a955506377c2388f023b577a.png

Then looking online I found another source for parts

https://www.ofrei.com/page1776.html

Edited by JohnR725
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2024 at 4:00 AM, oldhippy said:

We like new members to make an introduction before you start to post.

You say you don't know very much about watch repairing. What you are trying to do is normally carried out by those that have very good experience in their advanced apprenticeship.  

Yes, I'm so sorry about that. I had no clue what to say about my introduction because I've only started a few weeks ago and I've only mended 2 pocket watches. And yes you're right, I'm totally unequipped for this project, but I'm a little too deep into the water to stop. 

I appreciate all of the information that you guys have given me and I will use it to find the parts I'm looking for. 

On 4/13/2024 at 4:05 AM, JohnR725 said:

I was looking at your pictures and maybe this is an optical illusion but it appears to be you have hairspring issues

image.png.33d4bd729102853353398c5a69c029ea.png

Then one of the sources I like for watch parts is this

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=LON_19AS

What would be nice to see the other side of the balance bridge because of give us an idea of what's holding in your balance jewel assembly as it will have to come apart to get the spring in. Plus we can have a look at your balance wheel and see how bad the hairspring really is

And to respond to your statement, yeah, the hairspring is shot. I have no idea why it would be.

I'm not sure if this is frowned upon or not, but I ordered a new balance wheel complete, with the bridge included (or so I think, because I checked with the seller and they said that everything in the image came with the product, which was the balance bridge and jewel setting attached to the balance wheel and hairspring) and the hairspring itself looked good. What I'm trying to say is I think my problems are solved. However, with that said, going back to how I'm unequipped for this project, I accidentally snapped the pivot on the escape wheel, but not before I wound the mainspring in the teeny tiny barrel the wrong way. 

I have also ordered a new mainspring without y'all's guidance. There were no available Cal 19AS mainsprings, however I did purchase a Cal 19A mainspring. I looked it up and saw that the first source said that they're interchangeable. 

I'm sorry if I have made y'all cringe a little bit here. For any other posts I'll figure out how to posts them where they belong. 

Regards, (spelled right this time) 

-tripleman

Here's a picture of that hairspring and upon further inspection, it looks decent. For some reason thought it's off the center of the top pivot and so i have to force it to move into the pivot forcing the spring to bend like you see in the previous photos. 

IMG_6744.thumb.jpg.d8df44dc09abf6f776eebb4e7d615a29.jpg

here are some more clarifying pictures for Johns question earlier. also something else I noticed was the position of the stud on the hairspring. Should it be crooked like that?

IMG_6746.jpg

IMG_6747.jpg

7 hours ago, tripleman said:

Yes, I'm so sorry about that. I had no clue what to say about my introduction because I've only started a few weeks ago and I've only mended 2 pocket watches. And yes you're right, I'm totally unequipped for this project, but I'm a little too deep into the water to stop. 

Typically for introductions all you would have to say is hi I am interested in repairing watches and nobody's going to care about the technical details. Then to certain degree the introductions are not life or death in some cases I guess it depends upon what you did when you came to the discussion group.

I'm not sure if this is frowned upon or not, but I ordered a new balance wheel complete, with the bridge included (or so I think, because I checked with the seller and they said that everything in the image came with the product, which was the balance bridge and jewel setting attached to the balance wheel and hairspring) and the hairspring itself looked good.

Here's a picture of that hairspring and upon further inspection, it looks decent. For some reason thought it's off the center of the top pivot and so i have to force it to move into the pivot forcing the spring to bend like you see in the previous photos. 

It's good that you're getting a balance complete for variety of reasons and getting a bonus balance bridge. Because I want you to pay attention to something when you get it as your hairspring still has a problem quite an amusing problem in a way.

You notice your hairspring stud is a triangle or shape and it fits into a triangular shaped hole. It also notice how your hairspring has some weird bending right around the stud?

So when you get your new balance bridge and the balance complete if you look carefully you'll find that I'm pretty sure the stud will be rotated and that they hairspring will come out the end not the way it's coming here you have managed to twist the stud putting it into the hole and that's why it looks so bad in the previous image. If you are skilled at fixing hairsprings which are not you can fix this. On the other hand are getting replacement so that's good.

image.png.f43e96339850aba816d4f1fe59fc845e.png

Should it be crooked like that?

No it's supposed to be straight up and down. So in addition to twisting the stud you also bent it. On the other hand this is the most common place where people like to bend their hairspring and yes if you had practice with bending hairsprings this is all relatively sort of easy to fix. But I would really suggest practicing on another watch or basically scrap of balance wheels off of eBay that nobody cares about. Because practicing on something you care about really isn't the best.

Then the reason I wanted the image below was to see how the balance jewel assembly is attached to the bridge. Sometimes it needed jeweling tool to push it out but in this particular case all you have to do is remove the U-shaped clip in the whole thing falls apart. But if you're lucky here replacement balance bridge will solve the problem.

image.png.14d0c3f1f707e3842fb9f13d66814468.png

Ok. I've pretty much solved a lot of the problems. However, the donor movement was a Cal 19A and the one I'm working on is a Cal 19AS. From what I can tell from the naked eye there's no difference. But I know that variations can be within the microns so I'm reserving my super duper excitement till I'm done. I would appreciate some opinions on how well this fits in.  Hopefully the hard part is over... also I noticed that it might not be spinning as freely as I'd hoped. Might be an issue, I don't know. 

spinning balance wheel

Also I feel that this post might be coming to a close so is there any possible way that I could "start over" and make an introduction anyways? I know I did it wrong, but I like this website and want to respect its rules.