Hello Folks!

I've just picked up for £1 a ladies 17-jewel Tissot watch which has lost its Crown & Stem. It bears the model number "17172-1" so was produced before Tissot introduced the "T" prefix. I have wound it a little via the crown wheel & it runs to time so it seems worthwhile seeking a replacement Crown & Stem. Unfortunately, Tissot UK cannot help even with providing the part number(s) let alone the parts themselves as it is too old. Cousins has replied to my enquiry to say that the parts are restricted by Swatch Group & are currently unavailable. I'd be grateful for any suggestions/information colleagues feel might assist my search - even a photo of a Crown & Stem from such a watch in case the parts feature in another model.

1 hour ago, mikepilk said:

What is the movement number? Can you provide some pics please?

Thanks for your interest. There is a number on the movement which appears to be 6967183. Pic attached

Tissot 17172-1.jpg

Looks like the movement might be a 709 variant, as @mikepilk says there should be a number stamped underneath the balance.

Is the stem actually missing or is it broken off, in which case is there enough thread left, and room in the case, to use a stem extender. This might be an option if a replacement can't be tracked down.

According to windingstems.com the Ronda number for the 709 stem is 1330, a quick Googlefoo on Ronda stem 1330 does return results.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203794267564

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Its a Tissot 2451.

There might still be piece of the stem in the movement , thats if the stem had broken. Worth to check.

No it isn't 🤣 @Nucejoe   Looks nothing like the 2451 on Ranfft. 

It does look like a 709 as @Marc suggests.

If you search ebay for "tissot stem 709" you will find some (assuming that is what it is)

image.png.39f9b76edfd2bab681c8668cf9f833ef.png

Edited by mikepilk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

That will be the serial number. The picture is not clear. I cannot read anything else.

Can you read anything under the balance

image.png.dd46bc436a41a61b6c7f4dbe7c4c1ab9.png

Thanks, again Mike. The number there is, I'm pretty sure - influenced by Marc's inspired guess - "709". 

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Its a Tissot 2451.

There might still be piece of the stem in the movement , thats if the stem had broken. Worth to check.

Thanks for that thought - there isn't though but it seems from other helpful responses that I have a way forward.

1 hour ago, mikepilk said:

No it isn't 🤣 @Nucejoe   Looks nothing like the 2451 on Ranfft. 

It does look like a 709 as @Marc suggests.

If you search ebay for "tissot stem 709" you will find some (assuming that is what it is)

image.png.39f9b76edfd2bab681c8668cf9f833ef.png

That's the one ! BTW is the small screw just past the 12 0'clock position in your photo the one to loosen when inserting/extracting the Crown & Stem ?

1 hour ago, Marc said:

Looks like the movement might be a 709 variant, as @mikepilk says there should be a number stamped underneath the balance.

Is the stem actually missing or is it broken off, in which case is there enough thread left, and room in the case, to use a stem extender. This might be an option if a replacement can't be tracked down.

According to windingstems.com the Ronda number for the 709 stem is 1330, a quick Googlefoo on Ronda stem 1330 does return results.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203794267564

Thanks very much, Marc. On  following your ebay link I see, under the main picture, a Crown and Stem for sale: did you highlight just the stem in case the stem of such a combination might not be of the right length for my watch ?

19 hours ago, dnhb said:

It bears the model number "17172-1"

17 hours ago, mikepilk said:

That will be the serial number.

if it's a serial number it's not a very unique serial number. It is probably more likely and what it looks like is a casing number. then searching for that we do get better pictures at the link below.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224410066581

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dnhb said:

did you highlight just the stem in case the stem of such a combination might not be of the right length for my watch ?

Buying an existing stem/crown combination always carries the risk that it isn't quite long enough. Best to get a new stem and fit it to your crown/case combination.

Cousins will be able to supply a suitable generic crown.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 2:02 PM, Marc said:

Is the stem actually missing or is it broken off, in which case is there enough thread left, and room in the case, to use a stem extender.

The stem was broken off but there was no thread left. Managed to get it out but had to remove dial as releasing the screw I asked about in an earlier response to you wasn't sufficient to get the stem to drop out. Was doing OK replacing the part of the keyless works I'd had to remove but securing it with Rodico while replacing the screw from the other side resulted in the Rodico fouling some of the nearby cogs. So I had to remove all the KW bits & clean everything up. During reassembly the part I'd removed to get the stem out pinged away from my tweezers ☹️. So a nice little hunt in prospect tomorrow......

Edited by dnhb

Posted (edited)
On 2/26/2024 at 11:26 PM, dnhb said:

The stem was broken off but there was no thread left. Managed to get it out but had to remove dial as releasing the screw I asked about in an earlier response to you wasn't sufficient to get the stem to drop out. Was doing OK replacing the part of the keyless works I'd had to remove but securing it with Rodico while replacing the screw from the other side resulted in the Rodico fouling some of the nearby cogs. So I had to remove all the KW bits & clean everything up. During reassembly the part I'd removed to get the stem out pinged away from my tweezers ☹️. So a nice little hunt in prospect tomorrow......

Found it but then subsequently lost - & found - 2 other sub-mm parts before completing the reassembly. In the process I found that using my oilers as screwdrivers for some of the tiniest screws was an effective work-around! They were also useful for gently nudging parts into place - an approach designed to minimise the use of tweezers & hence the risk of further dispiriting 'pings'. When I had to use tweezers I found it 'safer' to use nylon(?) tipped ones even though their ends are quite blunt compared to my steel ones.....

Edited by dnhb