New Member from Poconos PA

PoconoFox

Hi all, thanks for allowing me in your group.

Complete novice here, although recently retired and always interested in horology. Just purchased 3 vintage watches inexpensively through Ebay. One is working, 2nd I'm returning and the 3rd I'd like to attempt replacing the  movement of of a Timex Marlin (2010 2469). I've watched some video and believe I should be able to accomplish. My question is where do you source your movements from? Ebay did not seem to have any listings for what I'm looking for, and Esslinger seems to be a bit expensive for a Timex mechanical watch movement. Have to admit I've yet to remove the watch movement, as I'm not sure if I want to invest in some basic watch tools, ie hand puller etcetera if I am going to have difficulty obtaining movements at reasonable pricing. I did remove the crystal, so that's a plus, lol. Is it the case that the movements are hard to obtain and therefor being replaced with compatible quartz movements? Thanks for your help! 

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

Timex watch movements are nothing like other watch movements, it's not a good place to start. I always recommend to start with pocket watch movements (not fusse movements) they are are bigger and the lay out and working are on a much bigger scale. Practice just taking taking apart and putting together. It give you good practise on using your watchmakers screwdrivers correctly using your tweezers correctly and using your eyeglass. 

This might help.    

1033305402_TZIllustratedGlossary(1).pdf

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forum. As mentioned by OH  start on the larger movements before having a go at the wrist watches and leave the timex untill last as they are fiddley to re assemble and can be off putting for the beginner.   I have attached a list of tools for your interest, Not all are required for starters its a case of careful selection.   Also attached is the timex manual for the 24 to give you an idea of what its all about.

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist.pdf timex 24.pdf

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hello and welcome to the forum. As mentioned by OH  start on the larger movements before having a go at the wrist watches and leave the timex untill last as they are fiddley to re assemble and can be off putting for the beginner.   I have attached a list of tools for your interest, Not all are required for starters its a case of careful selection.   Also attached is the timex manual for the 24 to give you an idea of what its all about.

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist.pdf 371.51 kB · 0 downloads timex 24.pdf 4.25 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you, very helpful!

ok so yes Timex are not like other movements from the point of view is that their service method is not like a common jeweled movement.  BUT! I have been collecting and repairing them for over 15 years. So I would first say do not replace the movement with quartz.  That is like putting store bought sauce on your Sunday pasta!  "means you can do it but it ain't the same".

so lets go back to why you are wanting to replace the movement?  Is there physical damage to it?

240822907_524315471989625_370297864652159343_n.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

ok so yes Timex are not like other movements from the point of view is that their service method is not like a common jeweled movement.  BUT! I have been collecting and repairing them for over 15 years. So I would first say do not replace the movement with quartz.  That is like putting store bought sauce on your Sunday pasta!  "means you can do it but it ain't the same".

so lets go back to why you are wanting to replace the movement?  Is there physical damage to it?

240822907_524315471989625_370297864652159343_n.jpg

Jmo, quite pleased you responded back to my post feel like we're neighbors assuming Jersey is for NJ. So true, I would never actually consider replacing a mechanical with quartz. Replacement of movement..., saw a Youtube video and seemed like I could accomplish. The movement more than likely is fine, but just needs servicing. This is where I don't even know where to begin. I'm sure I would have quite a feeling of accomplishment in being able to service. Why the Timex choice, for me relatively inexpensive but dependable. Watchweasol's  attachment concerning tool guidance has been very helpful and between Esslingers and Amazon have many items in a shopping carts but have yet to pull the trigger. I've read other previous posts of yours and enjoy them. Seeing your bench is quite cool and further recommendations are appreciated. 

• Like 1

Agreed  with the patience part, hope I have it.  Just received another Timex Marlin advertised as a 65 with a 24 movement, upon arrival it's actually an earlier model with a 22 movement. Didn't pay a lot so it will probably be good to get my feet wet. waiting for 99 alcohol to arrive to see if I can revive. Probably good to start messing around with as I did not pay much for it.

I tried alcohol for cleaning but never found results better or worse. So I stick to ammonia, water, lighter fluid.  Sometimes I have to use goo gone if the movement has been soaked in oil, wd-40, and or grease.  Yes, I've seen axel grease, olive oil, white lube among others tried.  Gee wonder why they did not work?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

I tried alcohol for cleaning but never found results better or worse. So I stick to ammonia, water, lighter fluid.  Sometimes I have to use goo gone if the movement has been soaked in oil, wd-40, and or grease.  Yes, I've seen axel grease, olive oil, white lube among others tried.  Gee wonder why they did not work?

Thank you, @JerseyMo, for the Goo Gone tip.  Seeing as I can say I've run across two watches that were drenched with Cosmoline (one of them was a beautiful Elgin grade 241) I will remember this...in case there's a next time.  Gad, all the stuff people will hose down their watches with before they make their way to us, boggles the mind I tell ya!

On 8/28/2021 at 1:45 AM, PoconoFox said:

Hi all, thanks for allowing me in your group.

Welcome!  If you are starting out with Timex work, you will find Jersey Mo and a few of our other members to be indispensable resources.  (I specialize in antiques, but those Timex watches cross my bench now and then, so I've been trying to bone up on them.  They have their own little mysteries.)  Enjoy your time here.

33 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Welcome!  If you are starting out with Timex work, you will find Jersey Mo and a few of our other members to be indispensable resources.  (I specialize in antiques, but those Timex watches cross my bench now and then, so I've been trying to bone up on them.  They have their own little mysteries.)  Enjoy your time here.

Yes, they are little marvels.   

6 hours ago, Plato said:

99.9% Alcohol is surprisingly useless for cleaning watch parts. 

Yes. Especially hazardous to watch dials. Keep it for your alcohol lamp.

But I do sometimes use it as a final rinse when I use a water based cleaner as it pulls out the water and replaces it with alcohol, which dries faster.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Yes. Especially hazardous to watch dials. Keep it for your alcohol lamp.

But I do sometimes use it as a final rinse when I use a water based cleaner as it pulls out the water and replaces it with alcohol, which dries faster.

yes, this is how some have explained the use of alcohol in the cleaning process.  It is to be use as a final rinse agent only.