Good Morning - Mark from UK

Emsworthian

Morning all,

I'm a complete novice when it comes to watches, but have certainly caught the bug over the past couple of months.  Started with a 'Build your own watch from eBay parts' (with help from the excellent YouTube videos), and now I've moved on to the servicing/repair of a Seiko 5 with 7009 movement.  I have three observations from my initial foray:

1. If there is an opportunity for anything to spring from the desk, it will
  2. Chances of finding something that has left the desk is about 10%
  3. It is going to take a while to become proficient with tweezers

My passion is repairing and restoring anything vintage, the last project was a 1963 Land Rover - sadly very little crossover in tooling!  For me, the process of restoration is almost more important than the end result.

I would like to find a few more Seiko 5's for repair and would welcome any guidance about sourcing watches for repair.  eBay is the obvious place to look but I'd welcome alternatives, thanks.

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Ohh nooo another competitor on ebay!!! :) Welcome to the forum. :) Watch Mark's videos and read books, its an amazing an exciting territory of life I just recently discovered. Watch your seating position and have a good light. Basically follow the advice is given by Mark or by the books. I was planning to buy a rolltop desk which would catch some of the parts flying, but could not find a place for it yet in the house. I am still rather screwing up watches rather than servicing them and everything takes a long time to master. :) Things which are 5 mins for Mark I can sometime spend 2-3 hours or a few days, beeing on my knees looking for parts, braking them and trying to find another part in my pile, trying to make something but I fail to do so, forgetting something to put in, scratching the movement/dial, ohh and the hairsping is beating even Freddy Krueger. Still its worth it. 

lui

Welcome to the forum Mark I see you have already found some of the problems of watch repair.  I doing somthing trickey and there is a possibility of an escaper like clicks and click springs etc, work in a large plastic bag,       Not you        the watch it limits the distance the bit travel

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.