manodeoro

CUSTOM DECAL DIAL TUTORIAL

On 7/16/2019 at 1:12 PM, morningtundra said:

How do you spray? Straight from the can or some kind of air brush?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @mornigtundra ... and sorry for answering so lately

I spray directly from the can

There's a design program called Inkscape. It's free and there are tutorials for designing watch/clock dials on youtube like this one: 

I have Inkscape but never found the time to use it. I used paint dot net years ago but never for dials

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

On 12/9/2019 at 9:13 AM, aac58 said:

There's a design program called Inkscape. It's free and there are tutorials for designing watch/clock dials on youtube like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si6IcIvv55g

Well worth watching. Thanks. I finally got round to watching the whole thing.

Great for improving your Inkscape Fu.. to. I've learned a new  tricks.

image.thumb.png.e74a74926d24d02ed358ef7e37b9801a.png

This is a still image from the tutorial. As you can see, it has some nicely distributed dial features, all of which are obviously customizable, and only limited by your imagination. 

For those who are unfamiliar with Inkscape, it allows you to create and edit vector images, which are essentially infinitely scalable without loss of definition. More conventional images use fixed size pixels, which introduce artifacts to the image when scaled. What this means in reality is that a vector based design tends to look smoother than a raster based one (subject of course to the limitations of whatever you are printing it with).

Best of all perhaps is that Inkscape is free and open source, so you can simply download and use it.

You can download it from here ->  https://inkscape.org/ <-There are versions for Linux, Windows and OSX (and of course, the source code if you want to contribute to development).

Great thread thanks,. I have read most of the dial making threads. This one looks promising fun and realistically achievable. 

As an alternative has anyone here engraved a dial?

I saw a pad printing setup in a factory clearance, and I couldn't help but think I could make something similar with a Drill Press. Repeatability of alignment would be key. I am also wondering if I could cast bathroom silicon using eggshells as a mould shape to make pads, as some of the newer pads are silicon, although some pads are only £50, ink and rollers are not cheap, nor is the "typeset" dial image, although this setup I saw had a plastic one which I would imagine was cheaper to make.

15 hours ago, manodeoro said:

Plus you can order a 2x2 inches ssteel cliché for cheap there

https://a.aliexpress.com/LsG6SYowf

Or have one laser etched locally

---

Wow.

Those plates look fantastic! All I would need is a plate ordered from them, a tampon for the ink transfer, ink, roller and a drill press, I could at least start playing from there! I need to design a face now! Thanks so much. 

26mmDialV2.2.Orange.thumb.png.85f78758910147fc3f9792e7c02d291f.png

Ive just spent an amusing couple of hours replaying that Inkscape youtube video, and playing with the various options. I've just about got the hang of distributing cloned elements around the center of the object to create various effects.

I must admit it was great fun, and a nice way to while away a little time while a monstrous thunderstorm blew through.

Here is the latest bizarre creation. Maybe I'll have a crack at a Max Bill clone next, or maybe a dial with dials as numerals.