Lost Numbers on Dial

I listened to a listing and used a polydent pill in a glass of water to clean an Illinois Pocket Watch Dial. The dial cleaned all right, including all the second hand numbers. So, any technique to get these numbers printed or painted back or did I just learn a lesson : "leave the vintage look alone".ca372bf97e4b1a21f67c982f02fe589b.jpg Before

64b6856423f6294ff410472d0b3e6305.jpg After

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Polydent technique is a good one which works well but only for enamelled dials. Yours is a printed dial which is much more fragile.

You could try water slide transfer paper for your printer and print a new seconds register, or have the dial professionally reprinted. Otherwise look out for a replacement 

• Like 2

Just now, jdrichard said:

One answer, I'm stupid:)

No, sorry if I seemed harsh in my posting. Time ago I cleaned off five of the minute marks on my Mom's $30 Casio. She's a cataract patient, but the day later she said "I kinda recall there was something more on it" :blink:

• Like 1

luckily for you you have an image of the dial before cleaning, so it would be relatively easy to re-print it. Best results are with tampon printing (youtube is your friend, there are some movies) but you would need some tools first. There is another option to sent it to company which does dial restorations. Just make sure they will do it in the same way as it was, I know that sometimes dials are looking good but are little different than original ones (like font change etc.). This things happens to best of us :).

Generally metal dials are pain to clean, I usually just brush them as anything you do to them will fade numbers one way or another and it ends up in full restoration.

Edited by Rafal
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rafal said:

luckily for you you have an image of the dial before cleaning, so it would be relatively easy to re-print it. Best results are with tampon printing (youtube is your friend, there are some movies) but you would need some tools first.

I think that if there's something well outside the reach of the beginner/amateur restorer is tampon printing. Have you ever done it?

• Like 1

I have not done it yet. I was researching it a bit because I have some dials which would need re-printing. Problem is tooling, as operation itself seems to be pretty straight forward. You would need a plate with printouts, tampon machine with positioning stuf - and thats biggest problem, they are not cheap and has to be accurate enough. Option is to get second hand machine. 

I was confused when I saw the term "tampon printing". Then I realized that you were referring to "pad printing" :biggrin:

Must be a translation thing.

Yeah, there are hand machines available that are not too expensive, but like any printing, it seems to be as much art as science. So, I haven't tried my hand at it yet.  I may try someday.

• Like 1

sorry about the outrage with the  false teeth  cleaner,  just that ive seen it so often.  "the urge to take things apart"  with engines and  all types of  mechanical  equipment.   "learning experience with out apprentise training"  I guess.  vinn

you could send it to india. they do this on every dial.

just kidding.

in my humble opinion, if you absolutely have to have the indices on that dial, than you might have to send it to a restorer. other than attempting to paint them on yourself.  those might be the only options left. - or -

third option - keep your eye out for a replacement dial. if you find one, you could use your existing dial as a test subject to repaint.

• Like 1

you could send it to india. they do this on every dial.

just kidding.

in my humble opinion, if you absolutely have to have the indices on that dial, than you might have to send it to a restorer. other than attempting to paint them on yourself.  those might be the only options left. - or -

third option - keep your eye out for a replacement dial. if you find one, you could use your existing dial as a test subject to repaint.

I think the third option is the best. These numbers on the sub dial are so small, I am sure to screw up a paint job.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk