Rolex GMT 1675 stops , crown comes out.

1 hour ago, Ducati2242 said:

Any chance that it has got magnetised somehow . My wife works on a computer all day and I often have to demagnify her auto watch . It never actually stops but runs very erratically .

actually there is an external computer speaker near the winder where I put the watch, however it's not that near to get the watch magnetized, I think. Also if it was magnetized then it had to run fast but it was running regularly to +5 secs per day. I took it to the watchmaker again, he told he will disassemble it completely.

I took it to the watchmaker again, he told he will disassemble it completely.

I think that's the right thing to do except when one has lost confidence in the person, like it happened to my dad about an Omega. You should have your watch repaired and he be given the chance to maintain his reputation.

It is not a magnetic problem because it is only happening after a period of time. The only way forward is to strip & investigate. If not confident doing yourself then find a good reputable watch repairer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

So after some months I got an update to the story. I took the watch to the watchmaker on 13 of July, he finally gave it back to me on the 29 of November, yes 4 months and 17 days. However, what he did was disassemble the movement entirely, clean it with ultrasonic cleaner and assemble it back (I suppose he oiled the parts etc). He reported he didn't find any broken piece or signs of why it was stopping. So I got the watch, put it on my wrist at 18:30 of the 29 Nov, put it apart at night at 21:00 circa, got back on my wrist the day after at 10:00 in the morning... at 12:30 the watch stopped. WTF! Now I wounded it completely and put it on the winder, we'll see if it will stop again on the winder.

Thoughts?

Edited by chriz74

Just now, jdm said:

Altough it would be fair that you give him another chance, consider changing watchmaker. He did not test auto winding using the automatic arm, which is a standard procedure.

When I called him on 28th to check if he finally finished the job he told "it's done, I only have to put it inside the case (the movement), you can come tomorrow to take it", so I asked "Shouldn't you test it before giving it back?" He replied "I already tested it" ... ??? 

Just now, oldhippy said:

Did this person charge you for any of his work, if he did what was the work undertaken by him?

Actually, to my surprise, when I asked what I had to pay he told "nothing". Why? I don't know. I am positive he disassembled the movement as I went to check the status 3 weeks ago and he had the movement disassembled completely inside a basket ( those you use for ultrasonic cleaning). Now I am thinking maybe he didn't want anything because he wasn't able to repair it and didn't want me to go back and complain. maybe...

When I called him on 28th to check if he finally finished the job he told "it's done, I only have to put it inside the case (the movement), you can come tomorrow to take it", so I asked "Shouldn't you test it before giving it back?" He replied "I already tested it" ... ??? 

His words are words but facts are in front of you. Your watch does not auto wind, either continue with him or send it to someone else.

2 minutes ago, jdm said:

His words are words but facts are in front of you. Your watch does not auto wind, either continue with him or send it to someone else.

Yes I know, I am hoping the watch was not wound before putting it on my wrist and that's why it stopped. I will find out in the next days, usually after wounding it would last on the winder for 48 hours circa then stop. Anyway yesterday when the watch stopped I moved it a little energically and it started moving again, isn't this sign it's auto winding?

I think if I find the problem is not gone I will finally send it to Rolex in Milan and have them repair it, it's really costly but I can't think of giving it back to him and wait 4 months again for nothing or give to someone else in this town pay 300 euros and solve nothing.

Anyway yesterday when the watch stopped I moved it a little energically and it started moving again, isn't this sign it's auto winding?

Not really, there is always some power left so that when you shake a stopped watch it starts running again for a while.
Auto wind is that wih normal activity it last as per specifications.

3 minutes ago, jdm said:

Not really, there is always some power left so that when you shake a stopped watch it starts running again for a while.
Auto wind is that wih normal activity it last as per specifications.

Ok, I'll report what happens. How do you visually understand if the watch is auto winding? When I opened it and moved the rotor I could see the other wheels moving.

How do you visually understand if the watch is auto winding? When I opened it and moved the rotor I could see the other wheels moving.

You can't because some parts are not visible and there can be different failures. Test is done wearing the watch or on an auto arm.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, chriz74 said:

Actually, to my surprise, when I asked what I had to pay he told "nothing". Why? I don't know. I am positive he disassembled the movement as I went to check the status 3 weeks ago and he had the movement disassembled completely inside a basket ( those you use for ultrasonic cleaning). Now I am thinking maybe he didn't want anything because he wasn't able to repair it and didn't want me to go back and complain. maybe...

Sounds about right to me. I would go to a different watchmaker and ask him if he repairers the watch on the premises and can he undertake Rolex repairs, if he sends them away God knows when you will get it back and it might be repaired by some cowboy. 

By the way, there's something else I was forgetting. When he took the watch from the bag where he put it to handle to me he let it fall on the ground... he said: "don't worry it hit the ground in flat position, that doesn't create problems" ... : /

4 minutes ago, chriz74 said:

By the way, there's something else I was forgetting. When he took the watch from the bag where he put it to handle to me he let it fall on the ground... he said: "don't worry it hit the ground in flat position, that doesn't create problems" ... : /

:startle:

Presuming nothing was broken when you dropped it I would have thought it is the auto wind part that is not running freely.  I had the same issue with my Sea master (cal.3135) after I serviced it. It worked perfectly for approx. 9 months then it started to stop now and again. After a lot of research I found that most watch repairers treat the reversing wheels with Epilame (fixodrop). I therefore stripped the auto side of the watch cleaned & treated the reversing wheels with Epilame & it resolved the issue. 

After a lot of research I found that most watch repairers treat the reversing wheels with Epilame (fixodrop). I therefore stripped the auto side of the watch cleaned & treated the reversing wheels with Epilame & it resolved the issue. 

You mean your watchmaker didn't used epilame but you did?

Possibly it,s just what was wrong with my Rolex. If you look at vids of Rolex servicing they do not show what lubes they use & also do not show the Epilame for the reversers so amateurs like myself have to find out the hard way.

If you follow the following service there is question & answer section where the "watch guy" reveals what  I have stated.

http://watchguy.co.uk/repair-service-rolex-oyster-submariner-16610-calibre-3135/

8 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Possibly it,s just what was wrong with my Rolex. If you look at vids of Rolex servicing they do not show what lubes they use & also do not show the Epilame for the reversers so amateurs like myself have to find out the hard way.

If you follow the following service there is question & answer section where the "watch guy" reveals what  I have stated.

http://watchguy.co.uk/repair-service-rolex-oyster-submariner-16610-calibre-3135/

Sorry but I don't know what this epilame is, I guess this guy should know what to do on reverser wheels, I can't tell him what to do. I am not qualified. Anyway watch is still running after 32 hours, we'll find out tomorrow what happens.

P.S.

I didn't drop it, he did.

Edited by chriz74

20 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Presuming nothing was broken when you dropped it I would have thought it is the auto wind part that is not running freely.  I had the same issue with my Sea master (cal.3135) after I serviced it. It worked perfectly for approx. 9 months then it started to stop now and again. After a lot of research I found that most watch repairers treat the reversing wheels with Epilame (fixodrop). I therefore stripped the auto side of the watch cleaned & treated the reversing wheels with Epilame & it resolved the issue. 

I noticed that  as well on Christian's (Watchguy) blog.  I believe Rolex advises treating the reversing wheels with Fixodrop.

The second link explaining how the guy uses Epilame I have tried but did not like the results. The watch would run really great for a few hours but then I noticed the occasional blip when on the Timographer. I stripped the escape and under a microscope I found deposits of the Epilame on the escape wheel teeth. Once cleaned the problem went. This has happened a few times & now I use it on the reversing wheels only. I may be using the wrong method, or using to much Epilame but since reverting back to my old method I have had no issues.