Rolex GMT 1675 stops , crown comes out.

Guys, I fixed the crown, I simply pushed the clutch inside the crown and then pinched the outer part with tongs (pliers, whatever it's called), now it has less spring action but at least it won't split from the clutch and I can pull it out to set the date with no problem.

Edited by chriz74
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, awkward situation here. The new original stem arrived and it's longer than the one that was originally fitted.

Now I am asking myself, should I use the old one or try to cut the new one and take the risk to ruin it?

stems.jpg

... I made the stupidest thing. Cut the new one without trying it before and now even if it's the same length as the old one for some reason it wouldn't hold the first position, the winding position like if it was too short. Could it be that the old one was not screwed completely?

update: So after cutting the damn stem I tried like this, put the threadlocker on it then screw the crown only half and let it rest for some minutes. Then I installed the whole thing and now I can set the time and wind the watch. Sometimes the stem disengages from the winding mechanism, don't know why. Anyway the watch was not running so I touched the balance wheel and it started to run, now it's running. I put it on the winder to monitor the behavior and see if it stops again.

I don't know if the stem solution was the best thing to do, probably not, but it kind of worked and I don't want to spend 25 euros for a new stem right now, not before seeing what happens.

Edited by chriz74

35 minutes ago, chriz74 said:

... I made the stupidest thing. Cut the new one without trying it before and now even if it's the same length as the old one for some reason it wouldn't hold the first position, the winding position like if it was too short. Could it be that the old one was not screwed completely?

Please measure distance E. Seems different to me.

stem.jpg

2 minutes ago, szbalogh said:

Please measure distance E. Seems different to me.

stem.jpg

No, it's the photo angle, it seemed to me too but looking closely they are the same. This is an original rolex 7869 stem. Besides I ended up putting the old one.

Edited by chriz74

Here we go, after 49 hours on the winder I found the watch stopped. I moved it a bit and started moving again. Now I stopped the winder to see when it will stop again, the problem doesn't seem related to the automatic winding. Maybe there's something, some debris that is stopping the movement?

Edited by chriz74

If the watch is stopping and starting I would say it needs at least a clean. As for the stem it could be a matter that dirt has got under a part and is causing the problem, or the old stem has worn somewhere on the shoulders.  You say it does the same with the new stem so there might be wear around the entrance for the stem to go into or it could be dirt, does the stem wiggle around when the stem is in the winding position and in the setting of the hands position, if yes is the answer to one or both this can be fixed by a pro who knows what he is doing but it is very hard.  

Regarding fitting the stem, Hippy is correct regarding cleanliness of the crown and pendant tube.  Once you ensure all is spotless, have a read of this article on stem fitting 

You will find a post specifically on screw down crowns later in the article.

• 1 month later...

Took the watch to the guy that originally made the servicing. He said he had to lubricate the invertors of the automatic device. He added something about Rolex telling these don't need lubrication but he thinks differently. Let's see if the watch will stop again.

5 hours ago, chriz74 said:

Watch stopped again. Invertors are not the cause.

What on earth are invertors. To me it sounds as if he doesn't know what he is talking about. Is he qualified to undertake Rolex repairs.  

13 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

What on earth are invertors. To me it sounds as if he doesn't know what he is talking about. Is he qualified to undertake Rolex repairs.  

I think it's referring to the mechanism that takes care of rotor change of direction.

6 hours ago, clockboy said:

Normally when a watch keeps stopping then the watch just needs a complete service & clean. I would personally take the watch to another watch repairer for a second opinion.

I would do as clockboy has said.

This morning I wound it manually and put it on a winder. Let's see if it stops. I'm thinking maybe yesterday stopped because after getting it back I didn't wound it and had it only for 3 Hours the day before on arm.

Watch stopped again after 48 hours being on the winder. I suspect the rotor is maybe slightly touching the caseback hence not winding correctly. So now I unscrewed the back as much as possible, gave 4 wounds and put it back on the winder. Let's see if it stops.