Hattori And Myota

I've fixed a couple of cheap quartz movements such as these, either when parts weren't needed or i could salvage them from another of the same movement. 

The only reasons to bother (unless just for fun) is if you don't have time to wait on a new replacement movement from a supplier, or if there's a specific reason you'd rather not disrupt the hands/dial. (which you'll have to do if you need to take apart the gear train.)

The reasons not to repair these are simply because, as far as I'm aware suppliers don't bother supplying the individual components, so in order to replace a damaged part you'd need a whole new movement anyway. 

It's just not worth in paid work, to try and save money on a movement that might be only a couple of pounds by spending 10's of extra minutes taking a movement apart in the time you could have just switched the old movement out. 

Edited by Ishima

• 2 months later...

I never bothered with quartz watch repairs apart from fitting batteries couldn't stand them. If the cost of the repair is going to be more then the cost of the watch, that is a good enough reason not to repair it.

Unless the watch is of sentimental value to the customer - in that case, any watch is worth doing despite its value unless it's an impossible task.

I remember stripping and cleaning Miyota 2032 movements all the time. That was when we were charging £15 to service and the movement cost £6.50 or so to buy new. So it was worth the hour it took to strip and clean them.

ed0d0df39a3ce581c54e3945c12e15ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I recently serviced /repaired a Seiko 7T32 and although a successful conclusion it was pain and I did not enjoy the learning experience.. The parts are not only tiny they are very delicate and the replacement parts are very difficult to source. The cheaper movements in my option are not economical to repair just far better to replace the whole movement.

• Like 1

I recently serviced /repaired a Seiko 7T32 and although a successful conclusion it was pain and I did not enjoy the learning experience.. The parts are not only tiny they are very delicate and the replacement parts are very difficult to source. The cheaper movements in my option are not economical to repair just far better to replace the whole movement.

Not an easy movement to work on. Hats off to you.

I never bothered with quartz watch repairs apart from fitting batteries couldn't stand them. If the cost of the repair is going to be more then the cost of the watch, that is a good enough reason not to repair it.

There are quartz movements costing many hundreds, or which are simply unobtainable. Doing what is not economically convenient is one thing (certainly not very smart), working and learning on one's own time for the education and satisfaction is another. Also I think that dismissing a watch just because it has something more that just wheels and gears is snobbish and limiting.

• Like 1

I pulled down and re-assembled a Seiko 7T62, interesting learning experience but what a pain trying to get those 4 magnetic rotors aligned to fit the bridge, little buggers would just not stand up straight.

Max

There are quartz movements costing many hundreds, or which are simply unobtainable. Doing what is not economically convenient is one thing (certainly not very smart), working and learning on one's own time for the education and satisfaction is another. Also I think that dismissing a watch just because it has something more that just wheels and gears is snobbish and limiting.

I never had my workshop geared up for quartz watch repairs. I did manual watches high grade stuff not cheap plastic rubbish. My main work was with antique clocks Longcase, bracket french that sort of work things that took days sometimes weeks to complete, there wasn't enough hours in a day to undertake every conceivable repair.

How times change Oldhippy. You had the best of times. How guys like Mark earn a living with watch repairs; today in a throw away society, one can only speculate.

Tony

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Lol. People do not throw away Breitling Navitimers

With quartz watches so cheap and usually reliable and very accurate (even the Chinese cheapy stuff use Miyota and Hattori movements) then it is, indeed, a throwaway society as Digginstony suggests.  That covers the vast majority of average working blokes who have a watch to wear to work.  Then there's that 10 or so % of the population that can afford real Omegas, etc...  Those watches you DON'T throw away...you fix 'em and watchmakers exist to service that market and the folks who still have much-loved old watches and family heirlooms. 

I did manual watches high grade stuff not cheap plastic rubbish.

That's a bit of a harsh sweeping statement. The inference is that all quartz movements are cheap rubbish, this is very far from the case, there are some beautifully engineered quartz movements around.

Here's an example, and there are many more.

post-124-0-83014700-1457544950_thumb.jpe

• Like 1

I don't think Stroppy was harsh. Pretty much on the ball. Don't forget Omega don't produce quartz watches now and their mechanical movements are now "In House " and you try getting replacement parts from them. Hopefully some enterprising company will start making generic replacements, to keep the independents going. The general trends I think, seems to be in house and everything has to come back to us. Could be wrong, hopefully I am. As regards the "Quartz " Even a no jewel movement has the potential to be as accurate as a well regulated mechanical, by a master regulator.

Tony

• Like 1

I don't think Stroppy was harsh. Pretty much on the ball. Don't forget Omega don't produce quartz watches now and their mechanical movements are now "In House " and you try getting replacement parts from them. Hopefully some enterprising company will start making generic replacements, to keep the independents going. The general trends I think, seems to be in house and everything has to come back to us. Could be wrong, hopefully I am. As regards the "Quartz " Even a no jewel movement has the potential to be as accurate as a well regulated mechanical, by a master regulator.

Tony

I think they were reacting to Old Hippy's opinion of quartz movements, not what you or I wrote.  As to quartz movements...my most accurate watches in my humble collection are all quartz with original buying prices from $100AU to $300.