Hattori And Myota

Even so I appreciate Oldhippies view considering he appears to of spent a great deal of his time working on quality old "Hand produced pieces " as opposed to printed circuitry. Which to repair must of involved making his own parts to affect a repair. Personally I'm very pro quartz but everybody is entitled to their views.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I don't think Stroppy was harsh. Pretty much on the ball. Don't forget Omega don't produce quartz watches now

True, but not since a long time.

If one hasn't ever learnt about quartz watches (high quality ones) here's a good link

https://omegaforums.net/threads/quartz-watches-some-information-some-may-find-interesting.5475/

BTW, Today I've repaired 3 Casio digital watches of the '80s. I have learned few tricks, features of their industrial design, cost of lithium batteries, and enjoyed myself. I think my no prejudiced approach is way healtier than the anxiety of one my mechanical watches "customers" that has been hassling me about pretty much nothing.

Edited by jdm

There are some great quartz movements out there, particularly the early movements  that seemed to have the quartz technology grafted on to a mechanical movement however  as time has passed the pursuit of manufacturing economy has seen that quality diminish.

I recently purchased a quartz chronograph for $7.50 when it was new it cost over $1200 it was a "Loyal" ceramic with an ETA quartz movement.

Loyal watches are manufactured by/for Wallace Bishop Jewelers in Brisbane,Qld Australia, The moral of the story, the watch is in immaculate condition but was sold as having issues, Had it been a Seiko or any other recognised brand it would probably sold for hundreds, as it was I made the only bid.

Checked out the movement for replacement it is an ETA  G15.211 the movement is not serviceable ( the only service instructions ETA provide for their service personnel is on how to fit the hands) the replacement cost is about US$95.00 =AU$127.00 a cost that is not justified for what the watch is worth on the market.

The story has a happy ending, I managed to overcome most of the problems, the only outstanding issue is that the 1/20 sec register does not work, that doesn't worry me as with my eyesight I can't read it anyway, a different story if I wished to sell it.

Max 

It's a good discussion which is fine. Quartz watches were in the early stages when I was a watch/clock maker. Working on a 200 year old clock and one who appreciates a craftsman's work, then looking at a piece of plastic to me there was no contest antique for me was the way to go. The demand for a good craftsman where I lived far outnumbered quartz watches. It was quite common for me to have 4 longcase clocks in my workshop at a time plus all the other repairs. It was so easy to get spares for the mechanical watches. So quartz took off but I understand mechanical watches have made a comeback. I made the right move because I made a really good living, my only regret is I wish I could have gone on longer but health took the better of me. Things I would make I even find it hard to see the ruddy piece. 

• Like 1

For the beginner (like me) I think that it's a good thing to try to repair them.  Not for money, of course, but for skill in working with tweezers and also learning something about watch trains.  The advantage for the beginner is that you get these skills but you don't have to time the watch, which is very difficult for most of us newbies.  Also they're usually pretty inexpensive.  Naturally, one doens't want to remain there and eventually one has to tackle the escapement but as a training ground for working at the microlevel they're great. 

• Like 1