Help Needed Please With Magnifiers

Alaskamick

Can anyone give me advice from their own experiences working on watches ?

Been tinkering with watches for a while and for close work my eyes are quite good but, to just use my eyes, I have to keep taking my contact lenses out as they are no good for close vision.

Loupes I find it impossible and uncomfortable to hold in place without using one of my hands so I'm thinking of getting some sort of magnification which I can wear.

I do have a stereo microscope for really close stuff like looking at jewel conditions or balance staff pivots but not really suitable for just dismantling movements and reassembly.

I'm thinking of getting either the large type of magnifier which fit around the head and come complete with different strength lenses or loupe holders which flip up when not in use.

What have other folks found to be the best to work with? I don't mind spending some money but there are so many available that I might have to spend a fortune before I find the most suitable one.

Any advise would be much appreciated, thanks

Edited by Alaskamick

Can't you use a loupe with a wire that holds it around your head ? When i wore contact lenses and was working really close i had some special made classes . There is a lot of different holding devices for loupes . 

Edited by rogart63

Lately I decided to upgrade and bought the Donegan OptiVisor with both the 2.75x and the 3.5x lenses. In addition I added two of their optiLoupes, one for each eye. This is by far a better tool than my previous ones.

I've tried all kind of optical solutions before: the loupes with and without the wire (wire from Bergeon, mind me). I own several of those from different manufacturers: Horotec, Bauch and Lomb, generic, you name it. I can't stand them!

I also ventured into the stereo microscope and the Donegan double-glass loupe which attaches to the glasses (with two lenses)...also a couple of different Chinese versions with different magnifications....also some sort of Chinese loupes that come in a frame like glasses. No success either!

Of all of those solutions, I believe the only ones that fit the bill for my style are the latest Donegan Optivisor: they are comfortable, -- not like my previous Chinese versions, second place in this "mini" review -- and they offer the magnification flexibility I need.

As a plus the Optivisor can be used with glasses, (the Chinese version too) which I will when my new ones are ready. One down side is for close work at high magnification you have to be careful since they tend to hit things around your bench if they are too close to your work...think mini bench, etc. I will probably buy the 2x or less magnification lenses in the future since sometimes it is all you need or...

My next one will be a round, lighted bench magnifier and see how it fares...

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Bob

PS: The Donegan models of Optivisors include the LX model but those use plastic lenses. I passed on those although the price was attractive. The parts are interchangeable with the regular model using crystal lenses.

• Like 2

I also vote for Optivisors, only thing I would go for is adding more lenses eventually, so far the best thing Ive used. Very comfortable and I can always lift lenses if I dont need it so no taking it in and out - it stays where it is ready for use. Mine are Donegan, wasnt cheap but I think it was worth. I have no idea about Chinese ones, but I did some budget buys in the past and always regret it at some point so I stopped. I cant work with wire loupes - its just annoying.  If I need closer inspection with strong magnification I use it by hand.

Edited by Rafal
  • Like 1

Getting the magnification right for yourself is probably the most important tool to get right. I have tried many loupes & found either the Bauch and Lomb or Bergeon the best. I have a chinese optivisor but personally found it to cumbersome & now only use it when working on clocks.

However santa is getting me a "loupe behr Model 55 double" which attaches to your specs. I will let you know how I get on with it.

• Like 2

Hi Rafal, how easy is it to change the lenses.

I've decided to go with the Optivisor and looking at the cousins photos it seems that they have to be unscrewed to change them.

Is it something that's quick enough to do in the middle of a job without having to fiddle about too much.

You have to unscrew it unfortunately, but if you will find one which works for you its not a big deal. Optivisors offers small addition which you mount to it with movable lens which you can install on one side (dominating eye) and use for having higher magnification, I will try to find how does it look.

http://boley.de/en/shop/6071.headband-magnifier/1838278392.attachable-lens

When purchasing an optivisor, I recommend 2 attachment lenses so you don't lose depth of vision. They are inexpensive and worth it compared with the cost of the actual visor. They will attach to each side of the lenses. I also recommend the real glass (of both, Loupe attachment and actual lenses) ones vs. the plastic version of the same although the Donegan's frame is the same for both, the quality and durability of the lenses make it worth the extra money...although there is not much savings anyway, depending on choice of magnification.

The new Donagan attaching mechanism for lenses is a simple screw and nut that I do by hand and stays put. Older models had some sort of plastic removable rivet that I've heard was a pain...or were since they are 2 attachments one at each end of the lenses. The Loupe attachment simply substitutes the normal screw with a built in, longer one. Easy and effective.

The Chinese copies all have problems with the adjusting screws for the band that goes around your head...they break or won't work and are very uncomfortable. Also, the side tension screws for lifting the visor when not in use, slip and don't really work well. None of this is present in the Donegan optivisor.

This is simply my opinion out of experience and preferences...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

looking at the Donagan optivisor and was wondering what would be the best recommendation for actually working on watches , not inspecting them.

I would imagine the 2.75 and 3.75 mag with a focal distance of 6" and 4" respectively are to close for actual work but great for inspecting movements etc.

I was thinking of the 2.5 mag or even 2 with there longer focal length but would appreciate your thoughts before i purchase one , think i will go for the clip on 2.5 mag attachment as well.

thanks guys for any info before i purchase 

You are right Andy, 2 or 2.25 may be "general use" if you would. I use the closer magnitude they make to 4x -- I think it is No. 10 -- to do certain things...for inspection I agree with transporter, a 10x or higher loupe may be in order!

Ordered an optivisor plus loupe attachment which turned up today , have to say i'm amazed at how superior they are to the plastic lens type one i had been using.

Very impressed 

cheers guys

Optivisor is next on my list of things to buy.

I just got a new very nice loupe from Santa and I am amazed at how clear the vision is compared to the hand-me-down plastic one I had been using.

I also use a SquintVisor from time to time, when I get tired, works great. I made it myself :)

• 2 weeks later...

I use an Optivisor 4x for most of my work on movements. I like it because it can be worn with my reading glasses - to correct an astigmatism and I can wear it for a couple of hours quite comfortably.

I also have the Donegan Eyeglass Loupe which I find very helpful for the 10x and 18x magnifications that can be selected as needed; I use it for shock springs, etc. Although it is very good, I don't use it for prolonged periods of time. 

Dave