canthus

Cannon Pinion Tightening Tool

I seem to be having a run of loose cannon pinions, especially on small calibre (ladies) movements.  Don't have a tool for tightening so would like advice for suitable tool.  I have seen the Bergeon pliers type but wow are they expensive!  Do not want one that needs jeweling tools etc to use it.  Any suggestions/sources most appreciated.

Hi  There are some which come up on Ebay  that are like a small chisel like punch on a small chisel anvil for pinching the cannon.  I have managed it with a pair of top cutters that are blunt but its too easy to over do it. If you have a staking tool you could use that with the appropriate stake and punch.

Thanks for your responses.  I will keep an eye on the bay for a proper tool. In the meantime I have some old nail clippers and have flattened the cutting edges on it.  I might try and drill a hole and fit and adjustable/locking screw for better control (not sure if the material might be too hard to do this.  If not I'll give it a go without.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By arkobugg
      Cheers Mates!

Working on a Omega Cal. 613, have done service, and watch performs well on the time-grapher, but when put dial and hand on, I can see that the

• By Stian
      Hi guys,
      I have been working on an old Doxa antimagnetique that doesn't run, and stripped and cleaned it. However, as I am putting it back together, the cannon pinion, which seemed friction fit when taking it off, isn't friction fit after all. There is an hour reduction wheel on top of it with what I think is a friction collet, but that one is completely loose. See picture below. Question: do I simply bend the collet to make it friction fit again? It feels a bit rough to do so but I assume that's the way to go? This is a Doxa 103 movement, based on ETA 2391.
      Any help much appreciated!
      Stian