Hello from Dallas, Texas!

JJx

First, a BIG thank you to Mark and the team for making these wonderful resources possible for the rest of us!

I'm originally from El Salvador which is a small country in Central America. Due to the war there, I ended up migrating to the US when I was a child, so grew up with my father's brother's family. I eventually married an American - 'my angel sent from Heaven' as I like to call her, since she is the reason I am who I am. I moved to the US in '79. Married in '92. Had our daughter in '94, and she married 2 years ago to an Afghanistan war US veteran who has a wonderful heart and whom I love as my own son.

I have always enjoyed watches, but didn't and don't have the means to have an expensive collection. I started following related YouTube channels and realized that you don't need thousands or even hundreds of US dollars to spend on watches to enjoy them :thumbsu:

I am not sure if I would really enjoy fixing and/or building my own watches, but I am interested in trying it out. Due to my job, I am not able to spend too much time towards it, so I'm here to see if little by little, I eventually dive into it. In the meantime, I truly enjoy the videos Mark and others develop and share!

Looking forward to being part of this community!

JJ

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I have 4 watches and 1 pocket watch (handed down from my grandfather), so I don't have much to share but would love to see others' collections! If you have a list of watches, DO share :Bravo:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• You're thinking metal to jewel in general I guess. Maybe it would be a good idea to peg the pallet jewel hole on the main plate after the epilame treatment. I think that could work as it is my impression that the epilame doesn't sit very hard, but I could be wrong about that so feel free to educate me. I didn't remember that 9501 was thixotropic (thanks for the link). That would mean it's even runnier during impact (lower viscosity) so perhaps it's time I get some fresh grease as mine seems a bit too runny. What I have seen is a whitish surface after washing but it goes away if I scrub the surface with a brush in a degreaser (Horosolv). I don't think it embeds itself in the metal but sticks very hard to the metal. I don't worry too much about the cleaning solution. I just want perfectly clean parts and my solution can be replaced for little money (ELMA RED 1:9). Anyway, I quite often need "to strip back and rebuild" and scrubbing parts by hand isn't exactly the most stimulating part of a service.
    • I’ve had a couple movements where it is clear the previous watchmaker was diligent with lubrication but the old epilam had turned to a fine white powder covering the pallet fork and keyless parts, which can’t be good for parts. I’m spare with epi since I don’t know how long it takes to degrade to that state…
    • I have read some suggestions that it can cause wear , particularly on the fork horns of a fully treated pallet fork. I've had half a kilo of steriac acid powder on a shelf for almost a year now, might have a little play today with a heater and a jar.  I think its because it gets into their cleaning solutions Mike. Theirs or anyone else's that services the watch next time, or if they need to strip back and rebuild. Could preclean but thats all time for a pro. I thought the idea was for the epilame to create a barrier, a wall between the lubrication and anything else, so the lube cant spread.
    • As I'm only cleaning watches in small numbers at home, I pre-clean any significant deposits of old grease and oil before using the cleaning solutions. I scrape off deposits with pegwood and Rodico, and if really dirty, wash parts in naphtha with a brush.  So I'm happy using DX, but can understand why it's avoided by the pros.
    • I think attaching a nut to the lid to pull it off is the least destructive, any damage damage on the outside is going to an easier fix than any created when trying to push it out from the inside. Scratching up the inside of the lid , mainspring or arbor bearing will be risk. Just my opinion.