wls1971

Mercury pendulum tubes

I have a french four glass clock that has a mercury pendulum, I have noticed that the tubes where placed upside down I have placed them the right way up, how long does it take for the mercury to run to the bottom of the tubes because its not exactly free running stuff, I think it would be pointless trying to regulate the clock until it has is this correct ?

Are you sure its a real mercury pendulum?

I've heard of cheaper clocks having fake mercury pendulums, could it be the pendulum was taken apart and put together incorrectly with the pretend mercury parts upside down?

The whole point of mercury is it is liquid and flows freely as Old Hippy says

From what I see the clock is a genuine French Four Glass. Mercury can solidify only with extreme cold. Myself I have never come across these what I will call dummy type pendulums. It would probably be best to replace them. I don’t think here in the UK you can post mercury.

1 hour ago, Tmuir said:

Are you sure its a real mercury pendulum?

I've heard of cheaper clocks having fake mercury pendulums, could it be the pendulum was taken apart and put together incorrectly with the pretend mercury parts upside down?

The whole point of mercury is it is liquid and flows freely as Old Hippy says

No I'm sure these are mercury its a very good quality french clock I dont think they are replacement mercury vials I may put them in some slightly warm water and see if that helps.

6 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

From what I see the clock is a genuine French Four Glass. Mercury can solidify only with extreme cold. Myself I have never come across these what I will call dummy type pendulums. It would probably be best to replace them. I don’t think here in the UK you can post mercury.

Thats the problem they only seem to be readily available in America and I think it would be illegal to try and import mercury via the postal service into England and they are also very expensive.