I have two male cats named Charley & Dexter. Charley is a mouser and very rarely stays in doors but Dexter is more of  homely cat. Very often he sits on my lap while I am stripping a watch or clock. However he is not allowed in my workshop when cleaning and assembling because them cat hairs are a bloody nuisance. 

My cat knows its not allowed on the bench top, but she jumps up there anyhow, but always jumps up on the far side of the bench away from me so I have to get up and walk over  to her and pick her up and carry her to somewhere else/

I'm sure she thinks it is a game.

Here is my cat "Lew" helping me adjust a pocket watch and adding  a hair to places one should never be.
59c7d7c98e01d_2017sep17lewinstudio(2)(Small).JPG.251e75367c88c45a9a90e8c255927917.JPG

I think we should start a thread dedicated to Horologists and their cats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0063.thumb.JPG.3ee003423d0304ae16e2798609e785e2.JPG

This is George. He doesn’t just do watches. Here he’s helping me update the operating system on an iPhone.

5ad4b83cf20b6_20180416_103542(Small).jpg.01544c78e8b2fe6bb7965c70e36071b8.jpg

On 4/13/2018 at 7:24 PM, Neileg said:

IMG_0063.JPG

This is George. He doesn’t just do watches. Here he’s helping me update the operating system on an iPhone.

What a beautiful Cat

20180416_103542 (Small).jpg

Here are my two. They will both be 20 in September. I love them to bits. The long hair is Cookie a she cat and her brother Crumble both from the same litter.

Cookie.JPG

Crumble.JPG

Edited by oldhippy

We have two, in fact we have always had cats that always live to a ripe old ages. Very often I have one sitting on my lap when dis- assembling and the other under the workbench in the winter where there is a radiator. However they are not allowed when assembling them bl**dy hairs get everywhere.

IMG_0063.thumb.JPG.3ee003423d0304ae16e2798609e785e2.JPG

For those who may be interested George is a pedigree Maine Coon bred by my wife in the UK.

13 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Here are my two. They will both be 20 in September. I love them to bits. The long hair is Cookie a she cat and her brother Crumble both from the same litter.

Cookie.JPG

Crumble.JPG

My wife says when she dies I will become 'The Crazy Cat Lady " on the show the Simpsons

My wife says when she dies I will become 'The Crazy Cat Lady " on the show the Simpsons

Every minute you love a cat, you live a minute longer.

Every minute you love a cat, you live a minute longer.

We have 30 cats so I must be gaining half an hour every minute!

Mind I don’t love all of them all of the time. Worming tablets usually involve some blood loss on my part!

3 hours ago, Neileg said:

We have 30 cats so I must be gaining half an hour every minute!

Mind I don’t love all of them all of the time. Worming tablets usually involve some blood loss on my part!

Whoa! A whole colony! 

They stay inside or outside or both?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By OpenHeart
      I recently found a vintage Pobeda wristwatch in my basement, model 1980-1989. Sadly, it is very old and not maintained at all, maybe since the early 1990s. It is mechanical, so I tried to wind it, but of course it couldn't wind. There is a resistant when I try to do it, so I opened its back and checked what's going on. It appears to me, that the Crown Wheel and the Ratchet Wheel are either too tight, or not lubricated/rusty or whatever the reason may be. Also I found out that when I move the watch around, it winds itself, as if it is an automatic one (it certainly does NOT have any rotor, so that is weird). So I was wondering what has to be done, at this moment I don't have any repair tools. If someone can at least give me a direction as to what has to be done, I could search for some tools. I'm not so worried about the watch itself, although it has a sentimental meaning to me, but am curious to find out what the reason for the problem is.

• By ali
      hi everyone,
      today I was working on a watch (the movement was eb8810) and after I was happy with the result I put the movement under a. glass, come back to it 2-3 hours later, still ticking so I put it back in the watch case and after about 15 seconds it stoped ticking as I started to move it around I don't know where to go from here wether or not it needs re-oiling or a new part in the balance operation, this is not the first watch I have experienced this in and didn't end up doing anything with the other watch.
      thanks in advance, 
      Ali
      p.s I am looking for an eb8800 movement in working condition so message me if you have one
    • By salemvii
      Hi all,
      I recently acquired a very busted up AR1798 with all the hands unseated. Initially I assumed that the repair would be as simple as popping off the back of the case, flipping the dial out and reseating the hands. However, much to my dismay it appears that the dial is slightly larger than the opening and cannot be pulled out the back of the watch. I then looked towards the bezel and hoped that popping that off would grant me access to the front of the dial but alas that too proved futile. Though the bezel did indeed come off, there still appears to be no way of prying off the front of the watch - looks like the bezel was just glued on for decoration...
      Any ideas before I throw this into a draw and forget about it?
      Cheers!

Watch back w movement removed

Profile of watch with bezel attached

Profile of watch with bezel removed (There's no seam to use to pry off the front, lighting makes it looks like there is)

• By Matthew
      Good (insert time here) everyone!
           I am relatively new to the world of clockwork repair and maintenence, but have done delicate metalwork, mechanism cleaning, and enjoy fixing things. Just recently, my sister brought home her boyfriends late great grandmothers singing bird in cage automata. For those of you who dont completely know or understand what it is, its basically a spring driven mechanism using bellows and a variable organ pipe to make bird sounds and move a little birdie around and "sing" (Example of singing bird mechanism working).
           His aunt wants it to be operational again, and after opening it up (not yet taking much apart) I have come to the conclusion that it could just use a good cleaning and oiling. But, my question is, what kind of oil should I use and how should I apply it? I don't have any fancy oils except for a bottle of valve oil for my trumpet at my current disposal, but I would like to buy some decent clockwork oil for this project and a sankyo music box repair I have waiting. 

Note: come to find out while writing this, it was made by eschle reuge I'm Germany, probably around the 50's or 40's.

• By Lenj
      Hi All,
      Just a bit of fun.. I ask here about find a replacement dial for my L'Epee, and Oldhippy gave me a contact for repairing, well I wrote off and ask if it could be repair and a cost if possible..Well Today I got a reply saying Yes they can repair it. So what do you think the cost would be?? photo as below..I was very surprised that they could repair it, given the state of this dial..