I have two male cats named Charley & Dexter. Charley is a mouser and very rarely stays in doors but Dexter is more of  homely cat. Very often he sits on my lap while I am stripping a watch or clock. However he is not allowed in my workshop when cleaning and assembling because them cat hairs are a bloody nuisance. 

My cat knows its not allowed on the bench top, but she jumps up there anyhow, but always jumps up on the far side of the bench away from me so I have to get up and walk over  to her and pick her up and carry her to somewhere else/

I'm sure she thinks it is a game.

I make my living as an Artist (as you can see by my question on watch repair "amateur") and my cats love to jump up on my painting table. This is "Three" she got in my Cadmium Red.

painted Three E to W closeup 29 mar 2011 (2).JPG

Here is my cat "Lew" helping me adjust a pocket watch and adding  a hair to places one should never be.
59c7d7c98e01d_2017sep17lewinstudio(2)(Small).JPG.251e75367c88c45a9a90e8c255927917.JPG

I think we should start a thread dedicated to Horologists and their cats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Watchmaker Cat -
DSCF1193.thumb.JPG.c4ad61b63060b3d7ff9e0f1405387d45.JPG
working at our  old set up in the  dining  room.

4f4feca537cde171a7519df920bd273d.jpg
Urrrg. Lighterz, how many times have I told you. Not on my watch repair bench!

IMG_0063.thumb.JPG.3ee003423d0304ae16e2798609e785e2.JPG

This is George. He doesn’t just do watches. Here he’s helping me update the operating system on an iPhone.

5ad4b83cf20b6_20180416_103542(Small).jpg.01544c78e8b2fe6bb7965c70e36071b8.jpg

On 4/13/2018 at 7:24 PM, Neileg said:

IMG_0063.JPG

This is George. He doesn’t just do watches. Here he’s helping me update the operating system on an iPhone.

What a beautiful Cat

20180416_103542 (Small).jpg

Here are my two. They will both be 20 in September. I love them to bits. The long hair is Cookie a she cat and her brother Crumble both from the same litter.

Cookie.JPG

Crumble.JPG

Edited by oldhippy

We have two, in fact we have always had cats that always live to a ripe old ages. Very often I have one sitting on my lap when dis- assembling and the other under the workbench in the winter where there is a radiator. However they are not allowed when assembling them bl**dy hairs get everywhere.

IMG_0063.thumb.JPG.3ee003423d0304ae16e2798609e785e2.JPG

For those who may be interested George is a pedigree Maine Coon bred by my wife in the UK.

13 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Here are my two. They will both be 20 in September. I love them to bits. The long hair is Cookie a she cat and her brother Crumble both from the same litter.

Cookie.JPG

Crumble.JPG

My wife says when she dies I will become 'The Crazy Cat Lady " on the show the Simpsons

My wife says when she dies I will become 'The Crazy Cat Lady " on the show the Simpsons

Every minute you love a cat, you live a minute longer.

Every minute you love a cat, you live a minute longer.

We have 30 cats so I must be gaining half an hour every minute!

Mind I don’t love all of them all of the time. Worming tablets usually involve some blood loss on my part!

3 hours ago, Neileg said:

We have 30 cats so I must be gaining half an hour every minute!

Mind I don’t love all of them all of the time. Worming tablets usually involve some blood loss on my part!

Whoa! A whole colony! 

They stay inside or outside or both?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By ash.bez
      I agree with what you are saying completely. I plan to only keep the case and back and replace everything else. I would have loved to put a mechanical movement in the watch but I think it’s too small (33.9mm x 7.1mm). 
      My plan is to have the case and back replated and have the back blanked of its manufacturers engraving so as I can have a blank canvas to have something engraved on it myself. I was hoping to get advice on what movements could be used and buy the parts ready for a watchmaker to assemble as like you said, I don’t want to ruin the watch. 
      I’ve already started sourcing/ordering parts which was a little silly without any advice so I’ll post what I have ordered below (if rules permit me to do so?). 

• By tucker810
      I just took apart my first working watch and I am having trouble with the three gears. Everything else is easy to reassemble but the three gears leading to the mainspring. How do you guys put them back together? I am new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • By chieflittlehorse
      I used to play chess but haven't in a while.  I just finished replacing a battery on an old Dodger's digital watch as I'm trying to learn watch repair.
      My interests in clocks came to being as I was reading about a clock repairman who banks used to call for him to service their bank time locks.
      My career is as a locksmith and I have changed safe combinations and I'm interested in all things mechanical.
      So after replacing the battery on my watch, the chess clock popped into my head.
      So has anyone here ever worked on repairing chess clocks?
      CLH!
    • By Jrx2
      will hands from caliber 1570 movement fit on the older 1560 movement?
    • By Ullas
      Hi all, this is my first post here. I repair watches as a hobby, and usually work on my own watches. This particular watch, along with two others, were give to a friend of mine, by his father, about three days before he passed away recently. The three watches, hence have an emotional value to my friend, and so, I wanted to get them going again. I fixed the QMax (Replaced battery), Titan (PCB and Coil, new battery, glass), and am working on this Rolex now. Almost all Indicators of a genuine Rolex that I have read of online, are absent, hence making me believe its most definitely a fake. i.e. No serial number or any stamping anywhere on case, no Logo on crown, Dial looks as if its been lacquered, bad finish, bracelet, and most importantly, no markings on the movement, and the movement was not used on any Rolex to my knowledge. Please enlighten me on this, if I am wrong.
      The issue I have now, is that, on the movement, there were no markings whatsoever, of the make or model. There were only serial numbers that read as "34B - 963125". After searching a lot, I realized, its an ETA 963.125, and photos on the internet matched with the movement I have. No marking of ETA on the movement (a fake again?). Its in a pretty rough shape, with the quartz oscillator (forgive my lack of knowledge of its correct name, as mechanics call it a "condenser" here), fallen apart. I did a preliminary  search with the mechanics and spares shop here, and they all said its very old and parts are not available. Only one said, he will get me a scrap movement, but I am a bit doubtful. I was able to get a service manual for ETA 963.124 online. My question now is, is it possible to get these spares, or the whole movement anywhere in Bangalore, India? (my place), or is it possible to replace the whole movement with a different one, with the day and date windows matching with the dial? Or is it possible to reuse the same day and date rings on a different movement? Can anyone advice me on this? TIA. Pictures attached, forgive the lower quality, problem with my mobile cam.