The winding stem on an ETA 2893-2

This movement is a little over my head for a newbie. I wanted a GMT watch so thought I would build one. 

I am baffled by the mechanism that retains the stem and how did I mess it up. The first challenge was removing the winding stem by pressing on the noted spot in the following image:

Stemrelease2893-2.thumb.png.37c495a1fd31c8a6132d0f80fd6d7063.png

This is a mystery to me when trying to find this in the technical document [https://drive.google.com/file/d/1juZKswxGGjhlCn_CD255w7OnV31vqrDF/view?usp=sharing]

Was the stem position an issue when I pressed this release button? A button that seemed to have no movement when pressed. Is there something in the keyless works that got messed up by having the stem in the hand-setting position when pressing the button?

How do I fix it?

The link works just fine for me.

You haven't actually described how it is messed up, what the problem is......

Two things worth mentioning, with the ETA 2824 you should have the keyless works in time setting position when you remove the stem otherwise some of the component parts get out of sync and you have to reassemble them from the dial side. It's possibly the same with the 2893. Secondly, you should only push the button a tiny amount. If you notice the button is set in a rectangular slot. This is so that if you use a 1mm screw driver to push it, it can only push in the right amount and no further. If you use some kind of a pin then it is likely you will go too far.

• Like 3

Thank you. I think that's the issue. I used a pin rather than a screwdriver. I will try to disassemble the keyless works on the dial side.

Where do I find the "button" on the tech sheet?

Oh, the issue is that I can not get the winding stem to stay in when inserted.

59 minutes ago, Erichall said:

Where do I find the "button" on the tech sheet?

Page 8 gives you the exploded keyless works. The set lever (443/1) has a long post on it that fits into a hole on the main plate and around which the lever can pivot. The button is actually the end of that post as seen from the other side of the main plate.

Take plenty of good sharp close up pics as you disassemble the keyless works. They seem a bit daunting if you haven't tackled them before so plenty of pics (take a new pic each time you take something off) will help you to see how everything goes back together. Also make sure that you know which screw goes where because they all look very similar, but getting the wrong screw in the wrong hole can cause you a whole new world of pain...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Erichall said:

the stop lever, 9433, easily fell out of place.

That doesn't sound too good.

Page 7 shows where that goes. It needs to fit in such a way that when you pull the stem out to setting position the hack lever (or stop lever) pivots so that the hook end makes contact with the rim of the balance wheel and stops it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Erichall said:

the stop lever, 9433, easily fell out of place.

2 hours ago, Marc said:

That doesn't sound too good.

Nah, the bridge for the automatic works holds the hack in place and as soon as you remove it, it's free to jump into your shag carpeting. You have to be very careful not to jostle it out of position when the bridge is replaced or you'll be tearing it down again, or worse, looking for a replacement part.

Edited by eccentric59
  • Like 1