Could A Wrong Battery Ruin A Watch?

Update:

Bought a new Silver Oxide battery and fitted it. Nothing happened so I started adjusting the time advancing the hands 48 hours, nothing.

Then I tried pulling the crown fully out and pushing it back multiple times.

EUREKA! it started ticking and hasn't stopped since.

Thanks to ALL the advice given :D

Now to tighten up the loose links in the bracelet.

well done, don't forget even a quartz watch has jewels that need oiling, sometimes they dry out & can stick so need an oil. but more likely a bit of debris in it somewhere.

• Like 1

Links on bracelet all nipped up. As good as new except for where the colour has slightly worn away. Can't wait to return it to her.

Well done mate. I am sure she will love it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

UPDATE

Took the movement out to put case and bracelet in ultrasonic.

Once I was ready to refit, noticed the stem wouldnt stay in.

Took a macro pic and saw a piece sticking out beyond the circuit board. Should it?

Maybe I need to replace movement. How much for a new ETA V8 quartz?

2016-08-04%2013.17.43.png

1 hour ago, ro63rto said:

The arrow points to the dimpled stem release button but whay does the plus sign mean and what is the screw for on the opposite end?

Means positive voltage and the screw likely holds the circuit board in place.

• Like 1

Ok. Just seemed a bit odd that the release button was being pointed out by a plus sign.

Thought maybe the screw was to release the button as it now won't pop back up.

Probably old oil is keeping it down. I barely pressed it to release stem.

did you know that an accutron will run with the battery reversed?   i bought one that  way.  it had been running for months.    the quartz watch may not,BUT  i  don't think reversal of current could damage it.?   vinn

Googling reveals that the ETA 956.114 Has been discontinued replaced with the 956.112 Then I've attached a technical sheet with all the specifications repair etc. should answer a few questions.

Then using a wrong battery usually isn't going to be an issue but it makes a great excuse if the watch doesn't work. Quartz watches have similar problems that mechanical watches have like lubrication dries out. They're considerably more sensitive to foreign matter floating around they don't have the energy of a mainspring powered watch. Then if you can drop the watch or hit it with enough force it's possible to break the quartz crystal than the watch is totally dead. Plus unskilled battery changers have a habit of scratching the coil which breaks the wire.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA-ESA_956_114

613_ETA956.032,956.042,956.102,956.112,956.122,956.402,956.412.pdf

Thanks John but the second link to the pdf doesn't seem to work. It looks like its been lumped into one long string in tapatalk.

Long past the worry about the battery.
Just the setting lever button not coming back up.
Downloaded the service sheet from Gleaves so will attempt a mini stripdown tomorrow.

Over the years if Ive found a battery leak, its invariably been a Renata battery! A search on the web about watch-battery leaks tends to confirm that Renata do tend to leak,--Not good for an expensive movement or a rare coil....

I use only Sony or Maxell myself or at a push, Rayovac, none of which Ive ever seen have a leak--Perhaps though, You know different!...

One thing is certain--Cheapo pound-shop Alkaline batteries have no place in a watch, Reminds me of a seller on ebay with a nice Omega Seamaster with ESA 9162 tuning-fork, complete with an AG-10 pound-shop special--I Didnt bid on it!

Edited by Alastair

On 05/08/2016 at 2:38 PM, vinn3 said:

did you know that an accutron will run with the battery reversed?   i bought one that  way.  it had been running for months.    the quartz watch may not,BUT  i  don't think reversal of current could damage it.?   vinn

An Accutron tuning-fork Always has the positive terminal (main case of battery) Downwards in the movement--giving the impression its wrong way round, they certainly Wont run with the batt reversed--In fact a reversed batt can do damage to the 0.22uF Tantalum cap in the circuit, if its left in the wrong way for some time, a PITA to change on a 218x calibre- In fact, Most things are a PITA with a 218!...

Only the Accutron Spaceview that Citizen re-issued and made 1000 of as an Anniversary watch in 2010 has the batt in conventional orientation--with the pos uppermost...... 

• Like 1