Snap on case back

How do I get a "hard to snap back on" case back on a watch. I have tried a crystal press. Pushing against a desk edge and I have even prayed. This sucker just does not want to pop back on???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

26 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

How do I get a "hard to snap back on" case back on a watch. I have tried a crystal press. Pushing against a desk edge and I have even prayed. This sucker just does not want to pop back on???

How did you remove the caseback? If you used a case-back knife and it came off without unusual circumstances, please continue:

First take a close look at the caseback and the watchcase and see if there is anything obstructing placement. You will  certainly need that crystal press, and choose a die that fits just over the crystal, but doesn't overlap onto the watch case or  especially the lugs--it should sit just around the crystal on the bezel. Place the watch with caseback in position onto the platform. A piece of cloth or paper towel can be placed between the crystal bezel (which is facing up) and the  crystal press die to protect it (mine are aluminum, some are nylon). Micro-adjust things so that the die and the bezel are just right and the caseback is lined up with the watch case. Apply gentle, then increasing pressure until you hear or feel the caseback pop in place.

J

• Like 1

Can't get it back on. I have tried everything

OK then....time for pics of caseback front and back, and a close up of the watch case itself.
J

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

the mvt.  may have moved out of place,  or - if there is a notch in the rim of the case back - it goes over the setting stem,  hope you got this info before it was crushed,  cheers vinn

Knew that but thanks

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

OK then....time for pics of caseback front and back, and a close up of the watch case itself.
J

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

So pi__s _d off at this , I'm just going to visit a local watch maker with perhaps a high end press and just get it done

Richard,

A snap-back case consist of two parts with a 'lip' or even a taper.

What usually causes snap-backs not to 'snap' back in place is a slight distortion in the case back. Place the caseback on a flat surface and see if it 'rocks'. If it does you need to fix it by applying pressure locally. Use blunt tools, sharp tools are no good here. I have use a piece of card-board to fix this. Place a piece of cardboard about 5 mm wide on a hard surface, align the high spot so that that is sits on the cardboard and apply pressure on either side. Finger pressure is usually sufficient.

In some cases, the mating surface on the case and caseback may get bent/distorted so that they don't 'snap'. Judicious tapping with a hammer can usually expand the metal sufficient enough so that it 'snaps'. This is not so common and proceed with care.. you just want it to expand a bit otherwise you'll have problems getting it off in the future.

Finally when it comes to base metal cases... the metal gets eaten away until it will never snap back. The case is junk. I've seen cases glued with araldite, JBweld etc but this is not proper horology and besides, having chemicals next to you skin is never a good ides.

All the best!

Anilv

• Like 2

Richard,
A snap-back case consist of two parts with a 'lip' or even a taper.
What usually causes snap-backs not to 'snap' back in place is a slight distortion in the case back. Place the caseback on a flat surface and see if it 'rocks'. If it does you need to fix it by applying pressure locally. Use blunt tools, sharp tools are no good here. I have use a piece of card-board to fix this. Place a piece of cardboard about 5 mm wide on a hard surface, align the high spot so that that is sits on the cardboard and apply pressure on either side. Finger pressure is usually sufficient.
In some cases, the mating surface on the case and caseback may get bent/distorted so that they don't 'snap'. Judicious tapping with a hammer can usually expand the metal sufficient enough so that it 'snaps'. This is not so common and proceed with care.. you just want it to expand a bit otherwise you'll have problems getting it off in the future.
Finally when it comes to base metal cases... the metal gets eaten away until it will never snap back. The case is junk. I've seen cases glued with araldite, JBweld etc but this is not proper horology and besides, having chemicals next to you skin is never a good ides.
All the best!
Anilv

Great tips. I think it is flat but will have another look. It almost feels like the case back is to big, but I checked and it is the right one.

I had trouble with a ladie's oval snap back of a brand watch once. The issue was that pressing on its center distorted it enough not to fit. Once I made a wood die to press on the sides only, it went in just fine.

• Like 2

I had trouble with a ladie's oval snap back of a brand watch once. The issue was that pressing on its center distorted it enough not to fit. Once I made a wood die to press on the sides only, it went in just fine.

Sounds like my problem

You could try the lipped recess type of dye that you would use on the bezel for the case back. Near the edge but enough substance of the dye on the case back not to splay when pressure is applied.
If not I like the freezer idea

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You could try the lipped recess type of dye that you would use on the bezel for the case back. Near the edge but enough substance of the dye on the case back not to splay when pressure is applied.
If not I like the freezer idea

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I don't have Two large enough dyes to both protect the Crystal and also apply edge type pressure on the case back. The freezer method did not work(darn). I would buy another installer, more professional than my current one. Any ideas.

• 9 months later...

SUCCESS. I visited a local watch repair shop and asked if he could get this caseback on. He said it would cost 25 bucks and I would need to leave it with him. Then he said that the case back was warped and that's why it won't go back on. I had an instant eureka moment. All I needed to do was to push out the center a bit then press it on. So i thanked him for his advise and rushed home. Put the case back in my GS press and pushed on the center a bit so it was just a bit bowled out. Flipped it around with the watch in place and it snapped on with little effort. Ta Da! As a favor to the watchmaker, I gave his son my card as a reference to his son who recently graduated from Electrical Engineering, for a potential job where I work. All good.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:35 PM, jdrichard said:

Knew that but thanks

here is another thought:  when removing the back,  was it very tight?  (and a cheap case or a defective case)?  use a dremel  grinder on the case back lid.    JUST A LIGHT PASS !   "and try again".  vin

here is another thought:  when removing the back,  was it very tight?  (and a cheap case or a defective case)?  use a dremel  grinder on the case back lid.    JUST A LIGHT PASS !   "and try again".  vin

Got it back on as discribed