Omega 1020 used

noirrac1j

Hello and Good Morning, Day and Evening,

I got this a few days ago...

DSCN4787.JPG

Disassembly revealed devastation inder the dial:

DSCN4790.JPG

DSCN4791.JPG

Now you all know (as I am now acutely aware) there is a restriction on all OMEGA parts to material houses. I bought a donor movement for 99 dollars and began assemby. The watch is running fine as the drivetrain was spared from the oxidative degradation. I've replaced all of  the keyless works with one notable exception: The date corrector yoke. Photo Album.jpg

I am trying every trick in the book to clean it up, but have had no luck in freeing the three-wheeled  "star head" to spin freely.

Lemon juice, dark tea, WD40, Hop's gun cleaning solution...nothing works to free it. ebay turns up negative hits on this part. Any suggestions, help, spare Omega part number 1020-1568, would be very much appreciated!

Regards,

JC

Edited by noirrac1j
typo

Hi Joe,

I wish I had the part you need but I'm not into Omegas just now. Sorry. All I can do is suggest this:

fluid.jpg

It is available from Esslinger.

Also, I remember Mark left the parts of a similar rusted Omega in 3-in-1 oil. Have you tried that? I hope it all sorts out fine.

Cheers,

Bob

PS. Did you talk (not browse, but phone) Otto Frei? They might still have some of the parts.

Hey Bob! Thanks for your reply. Just minutes after posting, I managed to free the star-head by placing it into a pin vise and gently moving it. It is now free and soaking in WD-40.....I know I know...WD-40 in anathema to anything related to watch repair, but this is a special case. I also found the part  at another material house in Texas that I wasn't aware of and I did order it just in case. Its a very expensive part--$85.00. Otto Frei no longer has 1020 movement parts. neither does J Borel. Dast-to doesn;t have it, and Hans Eckert no longer has any 1020 parts either! I totally forgot about Esslinger though! Its great to have more than one resource. I'll keep you posted on the progress of this overhaul. I am afraid the yoke will break or bend as soon as I try to  manipulate it once in place, but there's only one way to find out!

JC

I'm glad this part at least is sorted, Joe. I'd say, that "screw loosening fluid" --- no other name for the product or what it actually is -- is "cleaner" than the wd-40. Give it a try. It is not expensive. Esslinger might not have any Omega parts...I don't think they are known as parts suppliers, just tools and other stuff, but you'll never know.

Let me know how it goes with the yoke and yes, let's hope it all turns out OK.

Cheers,

Bob

• 1 month later...
I'm glad this part at least is sorted, Joe. I'd say, that "screw loosening fluid" --- no other name for the product or what it actually is -- is "cleaner" than the wd-40. Give it a try. It is not expensive. Esslinger might not have any Omega parts...I don't think they are known as parts suppliers, just tools and other stuff, but you'll never know.

Let me know how it goes with the yoke and yes, let's hope it all turns out OK.

Cheers,

Bob

Got the part...took a nightmarish amount of effort and late nights to get this one running. Cannon pinio. Needed three separate sessions before it fit correctly. But now its one of my favorites. I got it for $167.00

8a53eb19a134d88971980587025a029e.jpg

78b394400c9a26cce18cb6b710f7705b.jpg

The pictures I took along the way are home, but I can tell you the ENTIRE keyless works had rusted into one crusty mass that was beyond anything I'd ever seen.

J

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Rusting of the keyless works is a direct result of a worn crown seal.

Did you replace the crown? Some people prefer to keep the original crown and keep the watch away from water.

This is OK but something you need to remember as accidents can happen.

Anil

Wow that is an amazing reclamation job!

I feel your pain regarding Omega parts.  I've done one restoration of an out-of-date Omega movement and it took a few months and many material houses to get the parts together.  I think I had parts coming from Portugal, England, Israel, Italy, Argentina, and four of the fifty US states.  In the end it feels good to hoist that trophy high though.

The dial looks pretty darn good too considering the water damage.  Highly commendable work!  :Bravo:

On 11/3/2016 at 11:58 PM, anilv said:

Rusting of the keyless works is a direct result of a worn crown seal.

Did you replace the crown? Some people prefer to keep the original crown and keep the watch away from water.

This is OK but something you need to remember as accidents can happen.

Anil

Hello,

No I didn't want o replace the crown because it is original Omega. I did replace the stem because the original was rusted and couldn't be trusted.

J

On 11/4/2016 at 0:07 AM, RyMoeller said:

Wow that is an amazing reclamation job!

I feel your pain regarding Omega parts.  I've done one restoration of an out-of-date Omega movement and it took a few months and many material houses to get the parts together.  I think I had parts coming from Portugal, England, Israel, Italy, Argentina, and four of the fifty US states.  In the end it feels good to hoist that trophy high though.

The dial looks pretty darn good too considering the water damage.  Highly commendable work!  :Bravo:

You've picked out the zinger in this project! The original dial was too deteriorated to install as it was--although I did think abouit it.

DSCN0559.jpg

I then came up with the clever idea of stripping the old varnish off and redoing the dial.....myself. What could go wrong, right?

Well the dial stripped off well enough, and the applied batons and Omega symbol came out nice and shiny, but all the lettering was gone. What did I do? Well, I got my water transfer paper out and proceeded to print the words using my lazer printer and a good photo of an Omega Seamaster. The results were...well, they were "unconvincing."

I'm so ashamed....

DSCN0560.jpg

:thumbsd:

J

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MilTimeCan said:

They seem to have Omega parts in this online store, if that's any help

Genuine Omega Parts for Caliber 1020 thru 1128

http://www.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=10-Omega-Internal-1020-1128 

Hope that helps.

Yes, this is where I was able to find the y day/date yoke corrector....its expensive,but without it nothing can be set.

JC

6 hours ago, noirrac1j said:

You've picked out the zinger in this project! The original dial was too deteriorated to install as it was--although I did think abouit it.

DSCN0559.jpg

I then came up with the clever idea of stripping the old varnish off and redoing the dial.....myself. What could go wrong, right?

Well the dial stripped off well enough, and the applied batons and Omega symbol came out nice and shiny, but all the lettering was gone. What did I do? Well, I got my water transfer paper out and proceeded to print the words using my lazer printer and a good photo of an Omega Seamaster. The results were...well, they were "unconvincing."

I'm so ashamed....

DSCN0560.jpg

:thumbsd:

J

Well the finish was ruined on it anyhow so I don't see how any risk was involved in trying to fix it.  I've wondered myself what it would take to refinish dials in house as it's difficult to know which refinisher to go with when it comes down to it.

I applaud your effort.  The replacement dial looks fine and since you have the original you can still send it out later for someone else to deal with.  ^_^

Hi Joe ,  Nice watch and good work . I know that this is an older post and you found the parts you were looking for but I would like to mention that the Parts supplier Old Swiss Watches has many available Swiss watch parts . They even had hard to find Citizen 1802 parts there that I just ordered .  They have reasonable prices and shipping costs also ,,

I noticed that they have parts for Omega calibers 1012 and 1022 that seemed to have the date corrector yoke

P/N  10xx-1568 that looks like the part you were needing .

I hope this info will help anyone searching in the future .

5 hours ago, ricardopalamino said:

Hi Joe ,  Nice watch and good work . I know that this is an older post and you found the parts you were looking for but I would like to mention that the Parts supplier Old Swiss Watches has many available Swiss watch parts . They even had hard to find Citizen 1802 parts there that I just ordered .  They have reasonable prices and shipping costs also ,,

I noticed that they have parts for Omega calibers 1012 and 1022 that seemed to have the date corrector yoke

P/N  10xx-1568 that looks like the part you were needing .

I hope this info will help anyone searching in the future .

Thanks Ricardo. Yeah I know the website, and I've tried getting some stuff from them. They answer their emails and are friendly, but they're in South India which makes for a prohibitively high shipping rate. That part is correct...I paid a LOT for a new one...let's just say that it was 53% of what I paid for the entire non-working watch....and it still was worth it!

J

10 minutes ago, noirrac1j said:

Thanks Ricardo. Yeah I know the website, and I've tried getting some stuff from them. They answer their emails and are friendly, but they're in South India which makes for a prohibitively high shipping rate. That part is correct...I paid a LOT for a new one...let's just say that it was 53% of what I paid for the entire non-working watch....and it still was worth it!

J

I have never paid more than $2 shipping with Old Swiss Watches,...even on combined orders .

Aloha Joe , 

Just for cuosity I asked Sudarson at Old Swiss Watches if he had this part , Date corrector yolk P/N  1010 -1568 ...He does and the part costs $75 + $2 shipping .  In comparison you mentioned $85 + shipping at other retailers .

As I had mentioned earlier , I have always paid $2 shipping from them including combined shipping .

Aloha Joe , 

Just for cuosity I asked Sudarson at Old Swiss Watches if he had this part , Date corrector yolk P/N  1010 -1568 ...He does and the part costs $75 + $2 shipping .  In comparison you mentioned $85 + shipping at other retailers .

As I had mentioned earlier , I have always paid $2 shipping from them including combined shipping .

Wow, I should have used Old Swiss Watches! I assumed shipping would be pretty high (at least higher than $2). Thank you very much for this detailed info Ricardo.
JC

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk