Alastair

Whats the best tip you gained from watching Mark's videos?

Question

I think the best tip I got was using a simple piece of polythene-bag over the dial when removing the hands. SO simple and cheap (I Like Cheap!) and works flawlessly!

Stops the possibility of the little buggers flying off into unknown-land with all the other lost parts too!

A big thanks for that tip Mark!

14 answers to this question

I found the one on staffing a balance very informative and the series about using a timergrapher too.

P.S Something that was drummed into me by my gramps was dress your tweezers so every Sunday morning I do just that I have lovely tweezers :D

+1 for the not-forcing-or-rushing

Also: have lots of light and the right tools for the job. Most of my mistakes have been due at least in part to not having the right tool for the job (mainsprings - i'm looking at you!)

The patience that is necessary to tackle working on watches . As was mentioned , Nothing is forced or rushed . 

In one of the videos he was working on a watch that presented a particular obstacle to overcome . Toward the end of the video , after he had completed the repair he said , "That's the Joy of watchmaking ", which illustrates the attitude and demeanor he brings to the table and sharing his knowledge and experience with us .

I like the video about his workshop because he explains which tool is necessary. The most informative thing was using a cannon pinion remover. It Iooks very easy to remove the cannon pinions with it.

How To Align The Hairspring to set the watch in beat. Watch repair techniques

All videos are great information but this video helped me out the most. Without this video I would have never figured it all out, thanks Mark

2 hours ago, toptime810 said:

How To Align The Hairspring to set the watch in beat. Watch repair techniques

All videos are great information but this video helped me out the most. Without this video I would have never figured it all out, thanks Mark

I second the motion .  That video gets my vote also .....

Using pegwood to hold a spring during removal or assembly.  I've replaced a jewel, realigned a few hairsprings, removed and replaced a balance staff, corrected the beat error (via collet adjustment)... the list goes on- all these things I did after watching his demonstration video first.  Using pegwood to hold springs down is the big one though.  Whenever I get impatient a spring goes flying and I think to myself, "that's not how I was taught to do this".

For this complete novice the important things I learned from watching the videos are to be patient and methodical, tweezer skills matter, and watch the videos again. 

Learned as much the second time around as I did the first. (Though that is coming off a minimal knowledge base.)

Mark's videos are a nice mix of educational and relaxing. B)