At what point is a watch not restorable?

mcass

I came across this on eBay (quite possible posting this may put it out of my price range....LOL) and it got me to thinking. At what point is a watch no longer serviceable or able to be restored. Part of me says this looks like a fun long term project and the other part says there aint no way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Mens-JP-Pinguoin-17-Jewel-Formula-Analog-Watch-For-Parts-Or-Repair-/272217539969?hash=item3f616e0581:g:9z8AAOSwD2pXFn~r

1 hour ago, ro63rto said:

At what point does it change from a "restoration" and becomes "Triggers broom"?

For those wondering......

Trigger's Broom:

LOL - you beat me to it, first thing I thought of when I saw the title of the thread was Trigger.

• Like 1

Restoration of a watch like that depends upon the availability of parts or donor movement/s and the cost of those solutions, I have quite a few that are restorable, but the cost of the parts exceeds the end value of the watch.

Not so much a consideration if you want it for your collection, I'm not much into collecting I just like restoring them and cost becomes a factor as I try to sell some on to finance more victims, I would like to get hold of a chrono to restore but I get peeved if I can't find the parts to do so. So I have to consider all those factors before I buy a project. 

So do your research, find out what movement the watch has then search the availability of donor movements or parts if the fault is known and work from there.

Max

It's not a question of removing the rust its what the rust has eaten ,pivots cogs wheels etc and then you run into the cost of replacing those parts it starts overpricing the watch beyond its worth or if your like me begrudge paying £ 15 plus p&p  for a setting lever spring which is 3 times what I paid for the watch in the first place (but then I am a tight Yorkshire man) but if money is no object and you can find the parts needed and its a watch you've always wanted and you dont mind putting the hours in cleaning parts why not.:D