Can you soften the squeeze on a tweezer?

I had to make a tweezer # 5 size but with a longer tip (1-3/4") in order to reach into a movement when assembling. 

#5 I had was too short, so I made one and am good with how it came out.  Only thing is the original I used was a low cost $5 medical tweezer I had.  It is very firm to squeeze and was wondering if there is any advice on a good way to soften the pressure necessary to squeeze it?

PIc attached.

Thanks,

bob

IMG_5597.jpg

• Like 1

Yes you can. You have to thin the metal just in front of where the two halves of the tweezer are spot welded. About 2-3 cm length. The amount to grind off will be by trial and error and personal preference. 

I have some that are very light and some that are heavy. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, bobolink said:

I had to make a tweezer # 5 size but with a longer tip (1-3/4") in order to reach into a movement when assembling. 

#5 I had was too short, so I made one and am good with how it came out.  Only thing is the original I used was a low cost $5 medical tweezer I had.  It is very firm to squeeze and was wondering if there is any advice on a good way to soften the pressure necessary to squeeze it?

PIc attached.

Thanks,

bob

IMG_5597.jpg

Absolutely,  done this many times . Thin the metal at both sides where the handle splits to form the arms.