Ebay Non-Payers

A few weeks ago I put up some old scrap watches that I didn't want, thinking maybe someone else might like them for spares, practice, whatever. Sold them and got paid for all but one, which was only a fiver. Couldn't be bothered to make a fuss over five pounds. Didn't contact buyer or report it. Relisted a bit later and it sold again for 12 pounds. Well I thought, that worked out ok really as I got more for it this time, must be Karma. Except, 10 days later or so and still no payment. This time I politely asked the buyer what was happening, he was most apologetic and said he had checked and the money had just left his account, but that was over a week ago. On my Ebay selling page it does show the hourglass symbol that says payment had been initiated on the 24th Jan and was being processed by paypal. I can't believe it would take this long for a payment to come through. I'm not bothered about the money, I'm not desperate for 10 pounds. I have sent the buyer another message tonight and am waiting for a reply.  I know this goes on all the time on ebay and it's a chance you take but is it worth reporting really? I know I should but sometimes you never know what the circumstances might be, and it's not as if it's a lot of money. Actually I have just had a thought, as far as Ebay are concerned I have made sales of around 20 pounds including postage if you add the two "sales" together. Are they going to take their commission anyway? If so that is another matter. I don't know the ins and outs about Ebay, just wondering what your thoughts might be.

Thanks

Since you said pounds, it wasn't you then, lol;)  All joking aside, I just got a free watch due to similar issues.  I was buying some fixer uppers on Ebay and I won several auctions from the same seller.  He wanted to combine the shipping but the problem was the invoice....I never received one for the other watches and when I went to follow up with the seller, he said don't worry about the 5 dollars. (one was 2 and the other 3 something)  Cool but not cool, I like to pay for my winning auctions as silly as it may sound;)  He said it would've been too much of a hassle to get the funds to him.  (?)  So, I am one of those that will do my best to pay IMMEDIATELY but won't break your leg over it, LOL.

Yeah,  know what you mean. I always like to do my best for people, once I sold a collection of books to someone but the postage was way way beyond what I had estimated because they lived in Ireland and it is then classed as overseas. He thought I was trying to pull a fast one when I explained about the postage. To sort things out I just said, I'll send you the books, have them on me as it was my mistake in the first place.

I don't know why but I am inclined to just send the guy this watch with a message saying you obviously need the 12 pounds more than I do.

• Like 1

Well said mate and it's folks like you that keep me online in general;)  I love being surrounded by great people with awesome attitudes and Ebay is certainly a mixture of ALL KINDS if you will.  I rarely get that fantastic seller that will go to the ends of the earth to make it right but I too am one of those sellers.  A while back, I sold a bunch of VHS tapes on Ebay and long story long, two of the tapes were "worn out and fuzzy".  The woman demanded a refund and asked why I tried to rip her off. (I was completely unaware of the issue with the tapes)  I ended up refunding her money and "secretly" sent her two brand new tapes sealed.  I did receive the warmest thank you but that was all.  What goes around comes around, you'll get yours very soon my good man;)  Now I am no longer curious why I got a free watch!

Well thanks very much, it is very kind of you to say that. I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one.  I don't think that in my heart I could open a case and report someone for not sending me what would be probably 10 pounds after the fees etc were taken off.  I think I would rather just send them the watch and let them ponder over what just happened, and hopefully they might then do something equal. It's all packaged and ready to post anyway.

On the other hand, the way it's going if I keep relisting the watch it's value might keep going up and up :lol:

• Like 1

Hi, I've been trading on Ebay for a number of years both as a private seller but mostly as a buyer. A few times I've changed my mind about buying and it has been dealt with amicably.

Speaking as a seller this is the correct course of action take :-

On the selling page for your item there is a dropdown which allows you to open a case for non payment.

You then have time to contact the buyer, ask again for payment, and you have to wait a few days for him reply.

If you're still not happy then you can escalate the case and Ebay will cancel the sale and not charge you any fees.

All that happens to the non buyer is that he will receive a strike ( which means nothing ) and if it happens too many times he will be in trouble. This is good because if he's making a habit of it he shouldn't be on Ebay.

You mention  " report him " as if he going to be in big trouble. Don't worry this happens every day probably thousands of times and it's no big deal.

Just open a case, get your fees refunded and you've lost nothing.

Certainly don't give anything away to someone who can't be bothered to pay you £12

My opinion, Mike

Edited by Alaskamick
  • Like 3

last january, i bought a seiko case with an exhibition back. it was from a seller in the uk. i can't remember if it had a tracking number or not, but it was never received by me. the seller refunded the money after i told him of the problem. around mid to late april i believe it was, the package mysteriously appeared in my mail box (the state of north carolina has basically third world mail service - i could tell some horror stories). i contacted the seller and let him know i wanted to pay him. he thanked me for being so conscientious, politely refused payment and said to enjoy the case. i thought that was very cool.

as an update, this seller has has more of the same cases and i've been wanting to buy, but i don't want him to think i'm using that as last situation as a ploy to get another freebie, so i haven't bought.

Not Ebay this time, but I had a slightly awkward moment thanks to shipping issues when purchasing tools from "Uncle Larry" in Canada. After some great communication I purchased tools and made immediate payment and the tools were duly dispatched. I had purchased from him before and new it was going to take up to two weeks to receive the tools

After three weeks had passed, I contacted him and he agreed to wait another week before giving me a refund which he duly did. I was thankful to get my money back, and told him if they arrive I would again make payment. After six weeks the tools did arrive and payment was made. I don't know who was more surprised, me for the tools turning up, or Larry for getting paid out after all that time!

After three weeks had passed, I contacted him and he agreed to wait another week before giving me a refund which he duly did. I was thankful to get my money back, and told him if they arrive I would again make payment. After six weeks the tools did arrive and payment was made. I don't know who was more surprised, me for the tools turning up, or Larry for getting paid out after all that time!

These things happens with the posts. When items are really lost in shipping using Paypal gives protection to both buyer and seller if the transaction has all the characteristic of to be eligible.

i still feel that ebay is very biased towards the seller and because of this i get soo worried about selling high value items. they seem to always side with the seller!

Sorry what do you mean? That they side with seller and you're worried about selling ?

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

And fraudulent sellers!  I once purchased a luxury watch for over 1000 and never received the item.  Well, PayPal refunded my money after lots of battling and waiting plus they LET THE SELLER KEEP THE MONEY TOO, which was crazy.  I never received any tracking number plus the seller NEVER responded to me once....why they let the seller keep the money is beyond me.  I'll never forget that transaction, was nuts.

Edited by jeffc83

And fraudulent sellers!  I once purchased a luxury watch for over 1000 and never received the item.  Well, PayPal refunded my money after lots of battling and waiting plus they LET THE SELLER KEEP THE MONEY TOO, which was crazy.  I never received any tracking number plus the seller NEVER responded to me once....why they let the seller keep the money is beyond me.  I'll never forget that transaction, was nuts.

You can't know that he kept the money. If you were refunded by Paypal he didn't, unless he was quick to withdraw the money. But in that case you would have won the claim, and not be refunded because "payapal unabe to recover funds". Then, the next protection would have been Credit card issuer.

I have had two disputes on Ebay and in both cases Ebay sided with me. The rules I now stick to are as follows:

1. Never send an item until you have been paid

2. Only accept Paypal

3. Always send with to be signed for

4. If the item I have sold is of value I only use Royal mail.

5. When I sell I always check the buyers profile & be very wary if they have only been registered for a couple of months

6.If there is a dispute (i.e. I never received the item) NEVER back down stick to the facts & you will win.

I have had two disputes on Ebay and in both cases Ebay sided with me. The rules I now stick to are as follows:

1. Never send an item until you have been paid

2. Only accept Paypal

3. Always send with to be signed for

4. If the item I have sold is of value I only use Royal mail.

5. When I sell I always check the buyers profile & be very wary if they have only been registered for a couple of months

6.If there is a dispute (i.e. I never received the item) NEVER back down stick to the facts & you will win.

as a seller , you always loose... 

ive had watches that have been taken apart and sent back to me - ebay do not care as long as they see *something* has been returned the case is closed.

The women on the other line told me that the buyer said there was parts missing from the watch. and that i said that i have receieved the watch back and that i am saying parts are now missing - they take that as agreeing with the buyer because we both agreed.

wheres the logic in that.  

I flagged my concerns in advance and the women said keep on asking probing questions and i did and it was quite clear this guy was lying from the answers and that he changed his complaint everytime i challenged it .yet they still took my money from my account and gave it back to him.. 

ive had watches that have been taken apart and sent back to me - ebay do not care as long as they see *something* has been returned the case is closed.

I think you had been dealing with Paypal, not Ebay, which are separate companie. The latter does not handle payment money and does not have a claim process. If you sell on Ebay and not accept Paypal (yes that's still possible although strongly discouraged) if you take a non reversible payment methods the buyer can't get money back unless you decide.

Edited by jdm

The key to any dispute is evidence. If you have undeniable evidence then just stick to your guns. In your case pics of the movement before it was sent. I had a dispute a few years ago with a furniture company I got no where with the usual correspondence so I decided to take the company through the small claims court. I then started to get letters from their solicitor showing such things as the costs they were incurring, letters saying they had been instructed by the company to deny all claims and they would defend at the court. So as a precaution I visited a local solicitor & he assured me I would win the case & what was happening was they were trying to scar me off. The reason they do this is 75% of all claimants back off once threatened even when they have a 100% solid case.

The end result was two days before the hearing the companies solicitors offered a full refund + my expenses & the case was closed.

• Like 1

i have seen many auctions where the seller says they will not take returns because of this reason.

for a buyer to remove parts and then return is pond scum. it's a dirty trick and an immoral way to do somebody.

i have seen many auctions where the seller says they will not take returns because of this reason.

for a buyer to remove parts and then return is pond scum. it's a dirty trick and an immoral way to do somebody.

I have seen that to but under trade act you are obliged the take a return "if it is not fit for purpose" 

I don,t know why eBay allow this because of the above.

The disputes I had on the bay was buyers saying they had not received the item despite being sent the item to be signed for. I think some buyers think you will cave in because of loosing your 100% rating

i remember reading a story (either on this forum or another) where the forum member bought a watch on fleabay. he got it at a ridiculous low bid. after some finaggling, the seller reluctantly mailed the watch. but, he apparently mailed an empty box, haphazardly sealed. when it was received, the buyer opened a case because he never received it. if i remember correctly, the buyer got his money back, but the point was that the seller sold it for too cheap and figured he would try that little trick.

pond scum.

I have seen that to but under trade act you are obliged the take a return "if it is not fit for purpose"

I don,t know why eBay allow this because of the above.

Whatever trade act applies only to the country of seller and likely not to individuals. In that sense note that professional selllers on ebay uk must identity themselves with license number and physical address, but that is not the case in my country or the uk.

Remember that both ebay and paypal are just facilitators for transactions that happen between different parties and essentially have no responsibility.