A Strange Waltham (what the heck is this?):

I was directed to look at a pocket watch on Ebay (I've posted a link below) which, on the dial, claims to be a Waltham.  The open-face design seems unusual because the bezel is set in *as though* there should have been a hunter cover.  But there are no signs of hinges at the bottom.  The seller knows little about it; I suspect it is an alarm watch (due to the red arrow hand) but I cannot for the life of me figure out what that round metal plate with the jewel (at 3:00) is for.  The seller posted no pics of the movement.  Can anyone on the forum educate me on this watch?  I confess to being extremely curious about it.  And if it turns about to be a novelty, I may wish to bid.  Thoughts please?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224814502601?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=904b34ef1f2249d9aabf2187cc5c5442&bu=45336855555&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20220130071911&segname=11021&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cut%3Dut%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I was directed to look at a pocket watch on Ebay (I've posted a link below) which, on the dial, claims to be a Waltham.  The open-face design seems unusual because the bezel is set in *as though* there should have been a hunter cover.  But there are no signs of hinges at the bottom.  The seller knows little about it; I suspect it is an alarm watch (due to the red arrow hand) but I cannot for the life of me figure out what that round metal plate with the jewel (at 3:00) is for.  The seller posted no pics of the movement.  Can anyone on the forum educate me on this watch?  I confess to being extremely curious about it.  And if it turns about to be a novelty, I may wish to bid.  Thoughts please?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224814502601?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l1120&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=904b34ef1f2249d9aabf2187cc5c5442&bu=45336855555&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20220130071911&segname=11021&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cut%3Dut%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid

s-l1600.jpg

No idea buy a cool watch

• Like 1

I wonder if the "jewel" is actually an indicator of some sort. Namely, that the alarm function is/isn't set. I.e., when the alarm barrel is wound, it rotates over to a green section or something, and the user can tell at a glance that the alarm will sound when expected.

• Thanks 1

I think spectre is probably right. I'm 100% sure it isn't Waltham though; I don't think they made an alarm pocket watch, and nothing about the quality visible is up to Waltham level. Looks like a "dollar watch"; they would often put pictures of trains on the dial or case to invoke the idea that it was a railroad grade, which most people back then knew were the top grade, but didn't know more than that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

s-l1600.jpg

Buy it and reveal the mystery!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

I wonder if the "jewel" is actually an indicator of some sort.

Something like this is commonly found on some of their eight day watches it's the up down indicator. Supposed to give you an indication of how much power you have.

Then the description where's the picture of the movement? The seller sells watches by now the seller should know how to get the back off So we could see the movement.

The plate with the "jewel" in it doesn't look round...or is that a distortion from the glass? Personally I would avoid but hey, if it goes for $20 then you may want it as a novelty. I agree with the comments above that it is not very old or very Waltham.

13 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Something like this is commonly found on some of their eight day watches it's the up down indicator.

Maybe a picture would help

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

The plate with the "jewel" in it doesn't look round...or is that a distortion from the glass? Personally I would avoid but hey, if it goes for $20 then you may want it as a novelty. I agree with the comments above that it is not very old or very Waltham.

If you look carefully at the pictures on the eBay site especially the side view does that really look like a pocket watch case? Yes casually from the front it looks like a pocket watch but from the side it's not a pocket watch. Look at the description it's big and heavy that's a peculiar description for pocket watch isn't it?

I snipped out a few things for you I still think it's a Waltham eight day clock as they call it. I have some pictures of the movement. The parts list for the supplemental spot indicator as they call it. I even highlighted the disc itself.Then they list this is a 37 size movement which would make it big and heavy.

Then the eight-day clock was found in all kinds of things. Car clock like the image I have attached. Aircraft clocks just Google Waltham eight day clock and see what you find online found a lot of things. Including apparently something that looks like a pocket watch. Seeing as how currently 19 bids and it's up to $66 not goes they it 20 and it's definitely going over hundred dollars for an interesting very large pocket watch.

Waltham eight day up down indicator car clock.JPG

Waltham eight day movement.JPG

Waltham eight day car clock up down indicator.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1