eckky

Hello all, A new but old retired member.

My interest started when I found a old watch with a broken minute hand and tried to repair it. No luck so far but I have got the bug about old mechanical watches . I'm at the stage of taking out the movements and cleaning the cases up but not tried to dismantle the workings yet, not confident that I could get them back together. 

I do have a Felca with a eta 1080 .Its a square shape but does not have a back on it . The workings come out from the front and I got the dial off but have trouble trying to remove the crown and stem as I think the screw or press stud is where I cant get access to. Do I have to take it all to pieces or does the crown unscrew from the stem?

Anyone any ideas I can try

1 hour ago, eckky said:

t have trouble trying to remove the crown and stem

Welcome here. In most cases please post pictures with your question, however your question is one of the most often asked. The answer would be revealed by Google or top right box searches, the watch has two piece stem, either pull crown our or gently wiggle the mov.t while turning the crwon until it frees up.

Then if you want to learn in the best way consider taking Mark's Lovick training at watchfix.com

Thanks for replying ,  I was thinking about the thump bit 

I have attached a pic of it . Cant see a way of getting into the other side of it. There must be a way otherwise how could they have made it.

I've had a look at that video and as I understand its a case of pulling off the crown which just separates from the stem ?.

Is that all to it?

Felca square.JPG

5 minutes ago, eckky said:

There must be a way otherwise how could they have made it.

As answered above...

the watch has two piece stem, either pull the crown out or gently wiggle the mov.t while turning the crown until it frees up.

Wow that was easy , just with a pair of tweezers slipped them in and wiggled and off it popped.

Something else learned today, 

Sorry JDM , I didn't read your first post properly. Another lesson learned 

Thanks for all suggestions.

Now I've a similar problem with a Camerer Cuss tight stem release screw, cant find a small enough screwdriver

camerer cuss.JPG

33 minutes ago, eckky said:

and off it popped.

Keep in mind that if there is any way to put it back by aligning and sliding instead of pressing, that is what you should do,

Now I've a similar problem with a Camerer Cuss

Camerer & Cuss were bespoken "assemblers" in London, using top quality ready mov.ts and cases. Your is an AS mov.t like 11xx, but with rearranged click and bridges shapes.

cant find a small enough screwdriver

You need a full set including 0.5mm for when you'll be working on stud screws and the like. They have to be kept perfectly dressed to deliver.

My smallest one is 0.8 and I find it too big. Had to put a decent face on it before it would even look at some of these small screw.

I see cousins have screwdriver sets , I'll try them . 

Didn't realise the price of some makes  but as they say buy cheap buy twice.

Thanks for the link about screwdrivers and how to get the split stem together again

1 hour ago, eckky said:

Didn't realise the price of some makes  but as they say buy cheap buy twice.

Fortunately that's not the case for screwdrivers, read the last pages of the topic above, Swiss made quality are gbp 2.50 a piece.

13 minutes ago, eckky said:

Going by the link about screwdrivers I think I will buy a cheap set and change the blades for good ones if required 

That works too. But I really vouch for the "unbranded A*F", no further purchase necessary with these. Again, there is a world of difference between a driver that is correct dressed and wedges firmly on the slot, as opposed to one which tip touches the bottom and goes everywhere. It took me a good while to realize this, that's why I keep repeating it.

• Like 1

I'm sometimes slow to respond to posts so bear with me. 

That's the secret of good screwdrivers JDM,  I saw someone with a screwdriver with a tip like a knife blade which was slipping all over the place trying to take out some wood screws and he was blaming the screws. 

Did Spike Milligan not have a character called Eckky Thump in the Goon show mabye? . If not then it was one of those wireless shows I think. 

I keep a Eckky Thump type flat cap in the car for when occasionally the sun comes out and is shining between the sun shades. Never heard of the black pudding fights but as I live in scotland I would use a haggis when their in season.

merry xmas 

Hi Eckky  I believe he was a Millican character along with Eccles etc.  What jdm says makes sense if you are professional the best are aplicable I use some french ones and the others I have had for 50 years. What the make was I cant remember but they work just fine just keep the tips dressed.   Got the flat cap being a Yorkshire exile here in Scotland and love the black puddings.