Watch dial feet soldering machine

I'm in the process of building my own out of an old ATX PC power supply. I would be interested in the specs of the purpose built item to see how close they are to my DIY efforts.

• Like 1

I have 2 dental spot weldind cum soldering machines. One from the 70's and the other only a few years old.

Both are able to melt dental solder which has a melting point of about 700°C. I got a bottle of low fusing solder paste recently but I haven't tried it out yet. With normal electrical solder wire, I managed to get a good joint but not without creating a singe mark on the face of the dial.

It would be good to know the soldering parameters of a proper dial feet soldering machine.

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

It would be good to know the soldering parameters of a proper dial feet soldering machine.

Indeed.

It came with some solder paste thrown in. But I have also purchased some paste as recommended by another BM a long time ago - apologies, cant remember who. And so, we shall experiment and see.

The only real success I have had (no fancy machine,,) has been with solder paste which works at a low temperature . On the dial side I had it resting on a damp cloth.The tricky bit is the correct positioning of the new dial feet especially if it has a date window. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I have 2 dental spot weldind cum soldering machines. One from the 70's and the other only a few years old.

Both are able to melt dental solder which has a melting point of about 700°C. I got a bottle of low fusing solder paste recently but I haven't tried it out yet. With normal electrical solder wire, I managed to get a good joint but not without creating a singe mark on the face of the dial.

There was a discussion on the subject right here on WRT like eighteen months ago,, Someone said he used to solder dial feet all day at a bulova repair center it was, spoke of lower temperature , less than 400 I beleive, emphesised on prep the spot the feet solderes to, used grind stones to flatten the remains of the old feet and dril bit to make dent where the feet was to sit in. claimed no damage to the paint. 

Be nice if I can find the thread.