Picked up this watch, and it's not working?

Hi and welcome to the forum,  as mentioned by jdm photos of the movement  calibre number and make are all relavant when asking for help,  as it enables members to Identify the movement and therefore give an insight as to whats wrong, without this data its basically guess work based on knowledge.        Thanks

For future reference when posting pictures that we can't see you can go to the link below and they will convert it to something we can see. Only because I was curious did I do it this one time for you.

It would help to have a picture the dial like if there's a name on it. If you're lucky somebody will recognize the symbol on the plate otherwise there's probably a number under the balance wheel. Then while you're looking at the balance wheel you're going to notice your hairspring isn't quite were supposed to be. Plus is a clue the gold Spring holding in the balance jewel doesn't quite look like the normal one on a Swiss watch. 

Also you appear to be missing your case screws they look like they were once there now they're missing? There's a lot of scratches around the detent screw it's been worked on before. In addition to the front view we need a side front view because based on the position of the case screws the movement probably goes out through the front.

56 minutes ago, dormantkerosene said:

II'm trying to repair it, but it just doesn't work; It rarely spins, but only for a few seconds. How would I fix this?

46 minutes ago, jdm said:

Be aware that fixing watches is not as easy as changing a tire; you would have to learn, study and practice patiently.

Then in addition to all those other things mentioned above you're going to require a few tools.

https://heictojpg.com/

someone else's mystery watch.JPG

It's a Wostok 2603 or if it has a calendar 2605.

The regulator is as far as it will go over to the "-" or slow side and the hair spring has been pushed way out of round.

First thing to try is to carefully move the regulator back into the centre position making sure that the hair spring isn't snagged between the pins. That will hopefully give the hair spring a better shape and you may find it will then run.

Judging by the state of the set lever screw hole this has been mauled by a butcher or two in its time though so there could be any number of things wrong with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Marc said:

It's a Wostok 2603 or if it has a calendar 

31 minutes ago, Marc said:

It's a Wostok 2603 or if it has a calendar 2605.

I thought it might be a Wostok.  But that poor thing looks like Ivan Denisovich was wearing it during a rough day in the Gulag.  I'm sure it could be restored but there will be a bit of work involved.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

But that poor thing looks like Ivan Denisovich was wearing it during a rough day in the Gulag.  I'm sure it could be restored but there will be a bit of work involved.

2 hours ago, dormantkerosene said:

II'm trying to repair it, but it just doesn't work; It rarely spins, but only for a few seconds. How would I fix this?

Always a clue of quality when they put pretty stars on the ratchet wheel. But the original poster would like to Learn how to fix the watch and because of its quality and availability it makes it a good watch to learn on as getting another movement should be relatively cheap. Now we need to get the movement out of the case and the original poster can start making observations for us and he can learn how to repair it.

• Like 2

17 jewel pobeda movement. If  nothing is broken  it probably  can be coaxed back to life.what tools do you have ? If you have never worked  on a watch there is a very high probability  you will  break  it. Are you willing  to take that chance?

Edited by yankeedog

On 8/22/2020 at 2:00 PM, dormantkerosene said:

Yeah, I picked up a pack of russian watches for 10 bucks on ebay. (6 of them, all pobeda from the ussr.) I would say I'm willing to take the chance.

That sounds like a good price.  Are they all the same type of movement like the one in the picture?  If so, that will give you enough parts to work with if you need them to produce a working movement. 

And this is the best forum I have found to learn where to begin. There are posts and videos about how to strip and clean, lubricate and regulate, and these fine folks are always discussing ways to diagnose problems with watches that don't run the way they should.

And a lot of stuff for beginners has been mentioned in previous posts as well. So sometimes searching the forum can bring up posts about tools needed, and in what order the parts should be removed when stripping.  And we're all here for you if you get into a tough situation.  

So, how are things going so far?

Edited by KarlvonKoln
Edited for clarity