Scooby Doo Working Again After 25 Years, Zoinks!

Ray

I still have my very first watch, a Scooby Doo watch about 30 years old and it hasn't worked for the last 25 or so it's just been living in various drawers for a long time. I finally plucked up the courage to try and get it going again after my recent successes, after all I couldn't make it any worse anyway!

post-318-0-25233800-1423089825_thumb.jpg

Obviously it's a very basic movement in there, no jewels and the dial has bend tabs on it so I'm pretty sure it was never intended to be serviced.

post-318-0-26195100-1423090191_thumb.jpg

There are no bridges, just one plate holding everything in place, it was pretty tricky to line everything back up.

post-318-0-80767500-1423090505_thumb.jpg

post-318-0-16909000-1423090816_thumb.jpg

The ratchet wheel was held on by a copper coloured clip and there's a very odd keyless works in there, everything was a bit alien to me!

post-318-0-37816900-1423091137_thumb.jpg

post-318-0-43606700-1423091286_thumb.jpg

A good clean and he runs again!

post-318-0-12016900-1423091429_thumb.jpg

Finished, very happy. As soon as it started ticking it brought back memories. I remember looking at it in bed with the torch light on a Christmas morning waiting until 5.00am because that's the earliest my brother and I could get up to open our presents! 

post-318-0-90009100-1423091538_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Nice it don,t have to be a Rolex to give pleasure & happiness.

Recently got a cheap quartz watch going for my nephew. It was a football watch, the seconds hand was a clear plastic disc with a football printed on it. He was well pleased with uncle Del

Ray that was awesome mate!!  Love the great pics and story too.

Looks like one of the trickiest movements to service I've seen in a while. You must have nerves of steel.

Damn you Scrappy-doo for ruining Scooby-doo!

Dan B

I second that Dan!  Scrappy ruined everything!!!

Ray that was awesome mate!!  Love the great pics and story too.

Looks like one of the trickiest movements to service I've seen in a while. You must have nerves of steel.

Thanks, I found it was helpful to hold my breath whilst trying to locate everything, think I was seconds away from turning blue!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

My first watch was a Bradley with 5, 10, 15, etc. marked just outside the dial numbers, as it was designed to be instructive to those learning how to tell time. That would have been in the early 1960s, when I was a mere kiddo. I have no idea where that watch went, but I DO have a Seiko that I bought years later while in high school. I wore it through my university years, so it's very sentimental, although now dead... I was majoring in art at the time, and once produced a composition of photorealistic pencil drawings of some of the Seiko's details. I was that fond of it. Anyway, one of the reasons I've taken an interest in watch repair is to get my old Seiko going again; so seeing you get Scooby back on his feet is a big encouragement. Thanks! By the way, you're right about Scrappy. Eurgh...

Gryf