hello everyone....

Ianh

Hi everyone,

I am a newcomer to the world of watches and watch repair.

I recently came across a lot of old watches(and a pocket watch) at my parents most of them timex from the 1970's and thought it would be nice if I could get these going.

I have done some research and managed to get movement numbers and dates from the small numbers at the number six position.

In total I have six watches that I would like to get back to working condition.

I have stripped one down taken dial off and hands and soaked it in cleaning fluid dried it off and it burst into life,just got remember how it goes back together!!

so over the next few weeks I will be asking a few tech questions and hopefully get the others working.

thanks

Hi,

I'm Jon, I'm new here too.

Good to hear you're having fun with taking apart a watch and breathing life into it again. I find the Timex watches hard work to work on, as most of them weren't designed to be serviced per se. They are riveted closed and don't have jewels, even on the pallet fork, they are just metal pins, that's why they have that particular sound. Not to say don't work on them. I got one going the other day that used to be my Dad's with a few drops of oil. You just might find a watch that was designed to be serviced and had a good movement with jewels more enjoyable. I've just bought 10 on eBay for about £30. All mechanical hand winding..

Well, that's my thoughts on Timex

1 hour ago, Jon said:

They are riveted closed and don't have jewels, even on the pallet fork, they are just metal pins, that's why they have that particular sound.

sorry but, I do not understand why this comment of Timex movements being riveted and non serviceable is so prevalent.  I have worked on thousands of them using the guidelines in the service manuals aided by some homegrown techniques. As for no jewels, that is also not on point. Their are serial 17 jewel movements used and even 7 in the electric models.  It can even be said that the end cap on many of the  M24 is actually a synthetic jewel and not metal as the rest of the movement is.

Well anyway, if you need any help with the Timex just LMK.

DSC08732.JPG

quite true that Timex is not easy to work on if you take the traditional approach of a full tear down service.   But, they actually do not require full tear down unless it is confirmed that parts are damaged.  Even at that point I no not recommend full tear downs unless you have a ready supply of NOS parts and are willing for it to end it total frustration :)  Given that there were millions of vintage Timex made it just much easier to find a donor rather that work on a movement that won't quite get back to working order.

1 hour ago, Ianh said:

Thank you for the welcome, I’m about to assemble one Timex as we speak no doubt will need guidence as I never took any pictures before I took it apart!!.

Do I start a new topic if I need help?

Thanks in advance

would be easier to read a new post with just the repair itself.

DSC08598.JPG

5 hours ago, Jon said:

Hi,

I'm Jon, I'm new here too.

Good to hear you're having fun with taking apart a watch and breathing life into it again. I find the Timex watches hard work to work on, as most of them weren't designed to be serviced per se. They are riveted closed and don't have jewels, even on the pallet fork, they are just metal pins, that's why they have that particular sound. Not to say don't work on them. I got one going the other day that used to be my Dad's with a few drops of oil. You just might find a watch that was designed to be serviced and had a good movement with jewels more enjoyable. I've just bought 10 on eBay for about £30. All mechanical hand winding..

Well, that's my thoughts on Timex

yes;  timex pates are rived together.    did you know the early ones were screwed together? this allows  complete dissasembly?  there a few of them still around.  vin

Edited by vinn3
add welcome note

12 hours ago, Ianh said:

Thank you for the welcome, I’m about to assemble one Timex as we speak no doubt will need guidence as I never took any pictures before I took it apart!!.

Do I start a new topic if I need help?

Thanks in advance

If you can identify it's calibre I can probably post it's tech sheet.