Do you see anything strange in this balance wheel?

22 minutes ago, Delgetti said:

Is it possible for you to take of the automatic device? You just need a good screwdriver with the correct dimension and take out the 3 blueish screws of the automatic bridge:

Yes I can do it. Then what?

13 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Red line should turn in one direction regardless of which direction you turn the rotor.2017-03-13_12-51-51.jpg.b06b34353a8b91135f58ea7545cb1e5b.jpg.42e89c9e77f1f924ff0b928962be930f.jpg

What are you indicating with the red line? The  red wheel or the bronze ratchet wheel? Because the red one alternates direction while the bronze one is skipping the click, it seems.

29 minutes ago, chriz74 said:

Any idea of why this skip could occur?

It's difficult to say, but as has already be suggested, my first guess would be wear to the auto-wind mechanism. It would require closer inspection. 

If this was my watch, I would probably find someone like Mark Lovick to send it to, but that's just my opinion. Saves you the hassle of dealing with Rolex who are trying to maintain a monopoly. 

I took the rotor apart and took pictures then I assembled it back. One thing for sure now the ratchet wheel is not moving at all, only by manual winding. It seems to me that the part under the rotor is ok. Do you see anything?

KHjdfPa.jpg?1

sPSH5f1.jpg?1

EJI0M6C.jpg?1

1 hour ago, chriz74 said:

What are you indicating with the red line? The  red wheel or the bronze ratchet wheel? Because the red one alternates direction while the bronze one is skipping the click, it seems.

I mean the bronze ratchet wheel. That should turn when you rotate the rotor? Are you sure you can work on this kind of movements? If you don't understand how a automatic watch  works?

How can you see that the reverse wheels are working? They turn? 

But do they click or engage? And transfer the power from the rotor to the ratchet wheel? And the mainspring? 

There are small little clicks inside the reverse wheels that need to engage the small ratchets on the outside of the reverse wheel? 

Edited by rogart63

I have only seen your video on an iphone, but I think the driving wheel (the wheel with the four holes in it) is turning when you move the rotor. Is it possible, that the connection within this part, the connection between the bronze driving wheel and the little wheel on it, is loose?

11 minutes ago, chriz74 said:

Looking at my second picture it seems like one tooth of the center little wheel is slightly bent, at the top.

Yes, one of the pinion leaves looks slightly bent. Now, if this is true then here is some speculation:

- The auto winder may be broken as a result of extreme force against the winding pinion.

- Either the auto winder tried to wind the ratchet wheel which was somehow fixed, or the ratchet wheel wound against the auto winder pinion*

* looking at the direction that the pinion leaf is bent, I'm wondering if either the auto winder reverser function failed and it tried to wind the wrong way. Or, when manual winding, the auto winder jammed which meant that the ratchet wheel damaged the pinion while winding. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rodabod said:

Yes, one of the pinion leaves looks slightly bent. Now, if this is true then here is some speculation:

- The auto winder may be broken as a result of extreme force against the winding pinion.

- Either the auto winder tried to wind the ratchet wheel which was somehow fixed, or the ratchet wheel wound against the auto winder pinion*

* looking at the direction that the pinion leaf is bent, I'm wondering if either the auto winder reverser function failed and it tried to wind the wrong way. Or, when manual winding, the auto winder jammed which meant that the ratchet wheel damaged the pinion while winding. 

ok but could this bent leave affect the whole auto winding to not work at all?

33 minutes ago, Delgetti said:

I have only seen your video on an iphone, but I think the driving wheel (the wheel with the four holes in it) is turning when you move the rotor. Is it possible, that the connection within this part, the connection between the bronze driving wheel and the little wheel on it, is loose?

good point, I'll disassemble it again and check that. But I will do it in the afternoon. I'll post back.

P.S. let's say the connection is loose, a new wheel is needed or it can be tightened?

Edited by chriz74

Well guys, I contacted authorized Rolex Service center that sits 100 Kms from my home town. I decided to go there tomorrow morning and let them check it. I told them about the auto winding not engaging the ratchet wheel. They told they will be able to diagnose and fix it while I am waiting for as little as 100 euros + parts if needed. Unless a complete servicing is required, which I think it's not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deggsy said:

I am a novice so please excuse my input if it is rubbish. But might the fact that 'something is slipping' point to a problem with the mainspring or problem with it being unhooked? As I say I'm a novice but I read of a similar issue and wanted to share that with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be a good idea if the watch wasn't winding at all, but since it winds and runs fine when hand wound, IMO it rules out the mainspring (I'm also not a pro, so take this with a grain of salt ;) ).

1 hour ago, chriz74 said:

Well guys, I contacted authorized Rolex Service center that sits 100 Kms from my home town. I decided to go there tomorrow morning and let them check it. I told them about the auto winding not engaging the ratchet wheel. They told they will be able to diagnose and fix it while I am waiting for as little as 100 euros + parts if needed. Unless a complete servicing is required, which I think it's not.

Good news! Make sure you ask them what they did after they fix it!!!

Technician inspect the watch carefully, many parts to be changed, proposed full service. Accepted. Regarding the automatic device he told the pinions of the reverser wheel are damaged. Also told the beating of the rotor has to be replaced, one jewel is crooked, other parts worn out etc.

• Like 1

Main Spring unhooked perhaps?

Automatic mainsprings don't hook into the barrel, they are meant to slip to avoid damage to the winding gear. If it was unhooked from the abour, then it wouldn't wind by hand.
Seems the problems been solved anyway, just general wear and tear.

Automatic mainsprings don't hook into the barrel, they are meant to slip to avoid damage to the winding gear. If it was unhooked from the abour, then it wouldn't wind by hand.
Seems the problems been solved anyway, just general wear and tear.

Thanks for telling me. I have not worked on an automatic yet so obviously these a lot to learn [emoji51]

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, the watch was serviced for 640 euros, they gave 2 years international warranty and a 5 years warranty from the lab, they are very confident in their work. They replaced a lot of parts in the movement, reverser wheels, driving wheel, ratchet wheel, some other wheels, the barrel, the mainspring many screws and some other tiny parts. They put a new glass and crown and new gaskets. They also regulated the timing, polished and pressure tested the case. They have a video online of their lab if you want to check it:

Edited by chriz74

9 hours ago, chriz74 said:

Hello there, the watch was serviced for 640 euros, they gave 2 years international warranty and a 5 years warranty from the lab, they are very confident in their work. They replaced a lot of parts in the movement, reverser wheels, driving wheel, ratchet wheel, some other wheels, the barrel, the mainspring many screws and some other tiny parts. They put a new glass and crown and new gaskets. They also regulated the timing, polished and pressure tested the case. They have a video online of their lab if you want to check it:

The price doesn't sound too bad considering all the replacement parts. I hope this finally puts the issue to bed. ^_^