AS2031-57E solar panel - mission: impossible

Checking the condition of a Citizen AS2031-57E , H461 movement, just purchased and stopped for a long time, I found the solar panel of the eco-drive in these conditions (see photo)
Probably due to an overheating or infiltration of water inside, I don't know.

With the new battery the watch works perfectly, I just have no idea if the solar panel is recharging the accumulator.
I wonder if there is a way to verify the correct functioning of the panel

And possibly if I can replace only that or the whole movement.
I've been searching in every way online for two days but I haven't found anything,
both new and used, both the panel and the movement

immagine_as2031.jpg

I wonder if there is a method to verify that the solar panel is working or not,
Just the panel, if it implements its charging function,
I'm not talking about the battery, it's new, working and with some spare charge
Maybe with a tester?
But in what way?

Ps. I found a second-hand solar panel and I'm trying to find alternative solutions by sending it to Citizen assistance, because I would probably go out of budget

pound of curiosity is this a radio control watch? According to Amazon it came into existence around 2012 and that would make it vintage four a quartz watch. The problem with that really complicated citizen watches would be no service information and no parts availability typically. in other words usually there really complicated watches they suggest sending it to the factory.

otherwise for the normal rechargeable watches if you in find the service manual. Often times they would have a test point to check the battery voltage. Then you place it under bright light to charge it up more and see if the voltage gone up.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2024 at 1:50 PM, watchweasol said:

Hi I think you will find all the information you require in the attached pdf a pertaining to the Citizem.

WOW, thanks, thanks a lot 🙂

On 3/31/2024 at 11:42 AM, JohnR725 said:

pound of curiosity is this a radio control watch? According to Amazon it came into existence around 2012 and that would make it vintage four a quartz watch. The problem with that really complicated citizen watches would be no service information and no parts availability typically. in other words usually there really complicated watches they suggest sending it to the factory.

otherwise for the normal rechargeable watches if you in find the service manual. Often times they would have a test point to check the battery voltage. Then you place it under bright light to charge it up more and see if the voltage gone up.

Fortunately, I found the solar panel apparently in good condition at a decent price (20 Euro) that I have already mounted.
Sending it to service would probably be equivalent to spending more than the value of my watch on the used market, and I also like to solve it myself.

Now all that remains is to check how it works. I hope to get help from the manual kindly provided by @whatcweasol 👍

I was thinking of measuring the voltage after a bit of solar charging, on battery, I hope, good charge.
Now, as soon as reassembled, the battery measures 1.3 V
In theory at full charge it should be 1.5 V or more if I'm not mistaken

it is a new battery, probably pre-charged, if the old panel did not work it is correct that it would not be loaded to the maximum.
From the manual it says that 1.3 V is the limit, under the hand clicks 2 seconds at a time, I think it must be at full charge more than 1.5 V

2 hours ago, Albyon said:

I was thinking of measuring the voltage after a bit of solar charging, on battery, I hope, good charge.
Now, as soon as reassembled, the battery measures 1.3 V
In theory at full charge it should be 1.5 V or more if I'm not mistaken

remember on rechargeable watches their using different types of batteries and or capacitors at one time. This means the normal voltages the think of like from a silver cell do not apply

1 hour ago, VWatchie said:

Page 31 in the manual states 1.3 V so that seems good!

yes the top of the page it has a nice description which I'm snipping out

image.png.486700f9e5b073e9bb86b73383063114.png

• Like 1

Hi VWatchie,  not being as active in the repair side as i  was due to the recent covid episode I spend quite some time searching the various forums and sites to gather information to store as in this case it turns up useful. I use the WRT site questions as a direction and then research. this particular manual has been on the system for some time where I picked it up I cant remember.  You are free to ask ant time in case I have somthing you need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Imm going to close the discussion by attaching the photo of my super-titanium after several vicissitudes finally working.
Purchased as not working I replaced the battery and for a stroke of luck I found its semi-new solar panel which, having verified its operation, seems to recharge the accumulator perfectly.
I had taken this watch almost by bet, with 40 euros I brought it back to life. The initial half idea was to resell it to finance another purchase, but.. it's definitely a nice item. It would need to check the impermeability but it's a pleasure to see it on the wrist 😃

IMG_20240429_131309_edit_854933149815898.jpg

• Like 2