Identifying watch for possible radioactive concern

Hi there - recently picked up this watch to practice on. Crossed my mind that I'm not sure how old it is, and if it's 60s or earlier might have radioactive lume? Don't have a Geiger counter and am hoping someone can identify and weigh in please. Dial says "Cornell", movement says "Shriro watch Inc", case back inside says "TK Co, made in France". Any info would be helpful and much appreciated please, thank you!

IMG_5211.jpeg

Sometimes you can see a burn mark on the dial from hands that have stayed in one place for decades, which is a clincher, but I don't really see that here. 

An inexpensive detector could let you know for sure, but considering the dial/hand style and the darkened condition of the dots on the dial in the absence of any clear water damage, I'd give 90% likelihood that there is radium there.  Tritium is usually marked out on the dial, and although it moves to yellow and tan as it ages, it doesn't get as "toasty" as those dial spots based on what I've seen.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Geotex said:

An inexpensive detector could let you know for sure

Definitely worthwhile, if you are working with old watches - just be sure it's an actual Geiger counter, not one of the vast range of scam/fake "Radiation detectors" on ebay & amazon etc. that detect RF or static electricity...

In the mean time, I'd put the dial and hands in zip bags & wipe down the work area with a damp cloth to pick up any dust, then discard the cloth.

The emitted radiation from radium lume is not normally harmful - but inhaling or ingesting a single particle of the material can cause serious long term harm, so do take care with it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks all. I had ordered a Geiger that's showing up today but was hoping someone might be able to identify the watch to help me get ahead of it, so thank you Geotex. I in no way planned or plan to risk my health over watches and will probably trash this to be safe, it just stupidly didn't register for me how old this watch could be before I had opened the thing up. Sticking to explicitly newer watches going forward.

The counter I ordered is a GQ GMC model, which I have seen mentioned and used by many people and seems to be legit. https://www.gqelectronicsllc.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5786

Edited by kr2
Adding info about Geiger counter purchased

Posted (edited)

Well, Geiger counter showed up today and the dial and/or hands were extremely radioactive, reading quickly spiked from a baseline of 10-20 cpm to 100 and was still rising when I removed it. Trashed the whole thing. Thankfully nothing else outside the components was registering - work surface, tools, the paper I had used to clean off some components.... 

And now I have a Geiger counter to use to  check practice watches BEFORE disassembly

Edited by kr2
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1