Hello everyone! I am Santiago and this is the first time for me in a forum. I have always loved watches but since I found an spanish-language facebook group on vintage wristwaches the past year I´ve started to become obsessed with them. They are fascinating.

I came across this forum through the Watch Repair Channel on youtube. I have been searching for a watchmaking school here in Argentina and I couldn´t find any but a couple of places where they give "watch repair" courses. However, I am really interested and until I start attending any of those, I decided to go all by my self in the learning. I´ve been watching youtube videos, reading blogs, and I am even currently reading the Donald De Carle book on watch repairing.

I hope you can all teach me and gide me in the learning process.

I am really happy that I found this forum! 

My best wishes to all of you!

(Sorry for my english)

Hello everybody, thank you for your welcome, It took me a couple of minutes to realize that more than one person had answered my post. I was really happy to read your answers, you´ve encouraged me to start asking, posting and digging into the forum older threads.

Wish you all the best!

And "happy watchmaking" (loved that phrase)

Hello Santiago and welcome from me as well. Posting and digging is the way to go.
The De Carle book is a good guide and lots of forum members have it, including me. When you start your first project, make it on a simple watch with perhaps just three hands and no complications, sometimes a cheap pocket watch is a good idea as the parts are slightly larger and take pictures before and after each part is removed and it helps to get it back together. I look forward to your postings.
Cheers,
Vic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By TonyC
      Hi. My name is Tony. I'm from New Jersey, in the United States. I have a modest entry level collection of quartz and mechanical watches.
           I enjoy repairing electrical, mechanical, pneumatic, and hydraulic equipment. I want to learn how to maintain and repair a wide variety of watches.
           I'm looking forward to learning about watch repair and making Friends in this forum.
    • By Pgram
      Hi All, 
      My name is Paolo Gramigna, I'm 73 years old and I'm from Italy.
      After many years, since I'm now retired, I restarted an old hobby and I'm trying to learn how to repair pocket watches, and probably I'll build a pendulum regulator.
      I'm collecting now the tools, and I'm starting with "easy" pocket watches, not very expensive.
      I hope to find advice and experience here!
      Paolo
    • By kma2018
      I'm happy to finally start posting on this terrific watch repair community forum. I've been a member for almost a year, but have been mostly searching the forum for asked and answered questions that might help me with my novice watch repair techniques. I'm a vintage watch enthusiast with a special love of Timex watches from the 1950s  through the 1970s. I developed an interest in watches about 4 years ago when I rediscovered two mechanical watches (a vintage Longines and a Seiko 5) that my father had left in a desk drawer years ago before he passed. Amazingly, both ran in spite of never having been serviced! I was hooked and began my own mechanical watch journey. I'm looking forward to learning more from this wonderful community.
    • By alanbid
      Hi,
      New to this, but have always enjoyed watches, but now getting more involved with easy repairs..
      Thanks for having me,
      Alan
    • By JCStuyck
      Hello everyone,
      I am french, 64 years old , retired and  leave in Indonesia .
      I always had a passion for watches and start collecting them 40 years ago. 
      I must say that After a very active life I am getting bored and decided to spend time with my passion.
      I am sure I will be communicating with many of you in a near futur.
      Good day to all of you.
      J-C