Transparent Acrylic Manipulation Rods eBey

SSTEEL

Just an heads up really.

HS Walsh has these on eBay, Bergeon branded, and in true form of this brand, expensive, just for one, €11.28 plus shipping...

Bergeon 5206-40 Transparent Plastic C...  

I get mine from here, 6 pieces exactly the same, less than €2. delivered.

6PCS Dia 5mm Clear Round Perspex Acrylic Rod PMMA Circular Bar 25cm Length

15778776844_f00c8495f5_k.jpgUntitled by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Edited by SSTEEL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

Not surprised it is always wise too research before committing to a purchase.
However what are they used for ?

Manipulation of parts CB.  Hold down a bridge with it etc whilst aligning, screwing down etc.  I also use a fine ended one for moving hands into position whilst refitting hands.  I also have one which is refinished like a flat screwdriver tip. this comes in handy too for various tasks.

Agree, I also use peg wood for certain applications.  I also use finger cots.  The clear plastic manipulation tools are really only for presentation, I photo document most of my work, with videos also, and this tool is mostly used as a pointer to highlight an area of a movement which is problematic.

Edited by SSTEEL

While travelling with Swiss I have watched a video in which Breitling only uses acrylic: 

see 7:23 and other sequences.

My understanding is that for production, acrylic is better choice because it does not leave any residue, so is more apt for fast, repetitive work.

Unlike acrylic, pegwood is a fibrous material, observe under magnification how indeed there are chances of minuscule particles being left on the movement, but being more flexible, is better suited for uses where the pressure can vary, or the tip shape must be frequently changed, etc.

So it think in the end the two stick have two different application, but for general watchmaking, pegwood is better.

BTW I found that my BBQ skewers work even better :)

• Like 1

That is smart . I bought some big orange wood sticks that i frequently use for holding down parts with my left hand. But has been thinking of testing some plastic toothpicks to avoid getting those small parts from the wood. But would buy a acrylic bar and test how that works. would be great if they had some color though. So i could see them on the table :)