How to drop oil from moubius bottle

rogart63

Conveniently I can't find the box my Elgin oil came in to show a picture of what they had. So they had if I remember two separate lids the normal lid and another one that had a glass rod with a small ball on the end. So when you inserted into the bottle which was bigger than the moubius bottle you would get a small amount oil out. Using glass like this is nice as it's easy to clean and shouldn't contaminate the oil. Despite the advertisements from moubius at one time promoting their oil lasted forever now the recommendation is tossing the bottles every couple of years I suspect more because contamination in the bottle than actual breaking down. Then I've seen companies like Rolex put their lubricants in a syringe to avoid this problem.

I have asked other watchmakers they use the same method that I use. A very clean pair of tweezers usually like number five as they're small enough. Insert into the bottle when they're closed they will pick up a small droplet of oil. When you open them up slowly the droplet will fall off or run down the ends into the oil cups. They just make sure you clean your tweezers carefully afterwards.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, anilv said:

Hold the bottle over your oil-pot...tap the bottom of the moebius bottle with the back of a tweezer, a drop will...well...drop I suppose.

Not with 9010... it will be an instantaneous spill :blink:

12 hours ago, anilv said:

Hold the bottle over your oil-pot...tap the bottom of the moebius bottle with the back of a tweezer, a drop will...well...drop I suppose.

Anil

That doesn't work on this bottle. The other i hade was a little bigger neck on .That worked great.  Without the tapping. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Take a plastic straw and cut out a strip that is abt half the size of the hole in the bottle and abt 40-50mm long - dip in the oil and then transfer the oil on the curved tip to your oil pot!

If you can find straws with a small enough diameter to fit inside the bottle - just cut to length, dip 1-5mm in the oil - cover the top of your "straw pipe" with your finger - move to oil pot and then remove your finger - viola.