Kicked off eBay

This watch was listed on eBay by my father.  It was complained about by an user and eBay not only cancelled the listing but kicked Dad off for a week for the privilege.  I fared no better even though I obscured the maker's marks, selling only as "Vintage Swiss Valjoux 7730 Two Register Chronograph circa 1969-1972".

Dad says he was informed he was kicked off as the complainant had sole rights for Mondaine.  I have heard of nothing similar and it makes no sense.  Can anyone shed any light?

Re-posted - Definitely only asking for help - watch will be returned to Dad as a Jonah, regardless.

$_57.JPG

Montina.JPG

It's an abuse by the rights holder. They do not have the right to prevent anyone from selling an used watch and calling it the proper name. As if you were to sell a Rolls-Royce and list it as a 'fine British car".  But since eBay is a notoriously tight wallet company just look at the way the entire websites looks and works) they do not bother paying a penny to defend their customers from empty legal threatening, and give it up.

Tell your dad there are better and cheaper way to sell the watch. WUS is free, chrono24 has reasonable rates, local free websites also work good for me.

• Like 1

That's phenominal, thank you JDM; I didn't think it could be right!

I have had some experience of eBay's "cowardice" in the face of issues but this one takes the biscuit.

Thank you for the Site details, I'll pass them on to Dad.

:thumbsu:

This is absolute nonsense. There are currently 206 listings for Mondaine watches and bracelets on eBay UK. Have they all been challenged?

Legally, no-one has the right to claim sole rights on selling second-hand material - otherwise there would be no eBay, no Catawiki, no auction houses, etc.!

Will

• Like 2

I think JDM is probably right.  Someone has complained about THIS listing and eBay, not wanting ANY risk of £££ loss just kicked Dad's listing.  Why they shut him down for a week as punishment we're still at a loss?

I think JDM is probably right.  Someone has complained about THIS listing and eBay, not wanting ANY risk of £££ loss just kicked Dad's listing.  Why they shut him down for a week as punishment we're still at a loss?

Wow. Never heard of this before and I've been selling on eBay since 2002, never sold a Mondaine though.

Any chance of seeing a screenshot of the email from eBay (obviously with sensitive info redacted) - really interesting.

I'm sorry - no.  The old boy's dyslexic and in his anger deleted it.  I tried because it's not beyond reason that he's misinterpreted the reason but he has done nothing that warrants a week's ban.

That's a shame. Selling on eBay is a big part of my life, this scares me so I would have loved to see the real reason if this happened.

Perhaps he didn't delete the copy which is in the eBay messages system.

It's possible but I don't think so.  Dad's had that happen before (Tag Heuer) and I think he would have said, rather than mention licences and rights.

Dad's friend, of old, is renowned and respected in the Watch World, making his living with Smiths, Omega and Rolex.  He's looked it over and says "it's right" but price-wise is too small for his efforts.

I got the name wrong.  It's Mondia, 17 jewel.

SAM_0001 (1).JPG

SAM_0005 (1).JPG

Something like this happen to once. I had a watch called City . It's a swedish brand. That do different kind watches . It was an Oris Diver but rebranded City. Had a Oris movement and case. Everything the same as an Oris. So i called it City diver (Oris) on Ebay . Someone reported it and Ebay removed the listing. I think everybody that nows a little about watches in Sweden? No what the watch comes from. 

It's the same with some Omega or maybe other brands too. 

If say a Speedmaster has the wrong bezel someone report it to Ebay . Why ? Almost every watch out there has been serviced or has some parts changed at some time in there life? 

32 minutes ago, Mark said:

Quite a few Mondia watches on eBay right now. And many have been sold. I guess those sellers were lucky...

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 15.51.24.png

There seems to be an air of disbelief. I'm not making this up. In fact, in the past I've had a Robinson's Golliwog branded matchbook kicked off because it is racist. Browse golliwogs now to see how many are on.

I've also had a carving knife and fork kicked because you can't sell knives. Do a similar check?

It seems nonsensical but I believe eBay don't check but merely react to pedants' complaints.

And when I complained to ebay re the outright fake Mido I was sold they refused to ban the seller [emoji35]

I along with others on a japanese watch forum have been bombarding ebay with demands to remove listings for counterfeit Seiko Bullheads all with the exact same serial numbered caseback. All that happens is the seller removes the image of the caseback and deletes any reference to it in the description [emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35]

here's my gripe: i've complained about fraudulent seiko watches comeing from (big surprise here) india. most of the stuff i've seen is junk. a lot of frankens come from there. i've notified ebay about some of the stuff only to fall on deaf ears.

i usually look at stuff only from the US only because there is such an amount of junk listings from india, it clogs my search.

i've written to ebay about being able to exclude certain countries from searches.

chirp......chirp

When I do a search or buy on eBay, I restrict my search to the UK. When I sell, I sell only to the UK and not to a PO box. When I sell, I check the address on Google maps street view to see where the item is going. I never buy a watch without seeing a photo of the movement. I rarely buy from a seller with less than 100% rating.

I'm not saying these checks are perfect, and I've had (I think) one duff purchase and one non-paying customer in many, many years on the Bay, but (hopefully) the more care you take, the less hassle you'll get.

I have to say, though, that I've not used eBay to buy watches for many months now - preferring to purchase privately by other means.

Did he by chance list it as new on accident? New/Like New are a grey on Ebay (and Amazon) in regards to copyright claims, and manufacturers will bully you around for trying to sell something. Never heard of this for a used item. As someone who manages multiple large ecommerce accounts, you should petition this. There will be a way to, being kicked off ebay is not final.

To those worried, there is no way this is going to become a regular occurance, likely the copyright system flagged something wrong.

I have been following this post with great interest. Sellling used goods is the bases of how eBay functions. So it is a real mystery.

The only time  I encountered something like this was my wife ran a wedding stationary business and she was selling "Pelino" sugared almonds on her web site, but we were contacted by them as a guy in the UK had sole rights to sell them in the UK so we just withdrew them from the site.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry. Those of us with older accounts get more warnings, if it came down to it. But I'd imagine this was an ebay mistake, and OP should petition. Anything used should be a nonissue. Just make sure to list NOS as used, companies like Rolex like to be jerks about that kind of stuff.

Mondia is an old Italian watch manufacturer casing Swiss movements in their own cases.  They are still in operation and they now produce mostly quartz watches for the mid-range market.  Looking today I saw some old Mondias and new ones on the bay (not meaning to disrespect the OP).  Perhaps the OP should appeal to ebay's complaint team, showing links to sellers selling the same brand.  They can't just single him out and let others trade willy nilly.  BTW, you can't be restricted for selling a used item and mentioning the brand, no matter how posh it is.

• Like 1