Copy Stand For Macro Photography

WillFly

Having equipped myself with a couple of Canon 70D bodies and lenses, I tested out using my old Pentax Super Takumar 52mm lens with x1, x2 & 3x converter rings for macro photography of watch faces and movements. The lens, plus x2 converter, seems very good indeed, but the problem has been finding the right height for accurate focussing as the tolerance is quite tight.

Anyway, I spotted a £44 copy stand on eBay the other day and bought it (brand new) from a computer/electronics firm in Kent. It came this morning and, for the price, is very good, robust and well made. Picture enclosed. Watch pics to follow!

post-64-0-48063200-1449662320_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That is what i should need. I am a bad photographer. Have a nice watch but can't really use all the function. That is why i don't take any pictures when i service something. But with that i can have the camera focused on the object and maybe even a nice lamp on the stand.

Just a quick post on some preliminary results. Picture 1 is of the face of my Elgin "Father Time" RR pocket watch - 52mm Super Takumar lens with a x2 converter ring. This was done hastily and the focus isn't quite sharp - my fault, not the lens!

Picture 2 is part of the movement - Super Takumar 52mm lens with x3 converter. Shot in raw and processed with LightRoom.

post-64-0-37037700-1449668767_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-12465600-1449668784_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Bob - always good to get feedback. One of the problems of focus with a manual lens is that the viewfinder view isn't always possible. So I'm using the "screen view" - i.e. the touch sensitive screen on the Canon which folds round to act as a monitor. And because the lens is manual, the autofocus doesn't function, meaning that the focus ring has to be adjusted quite delicately and accurately.

I also forgot to turn off image stabilisation - which is always turned off when using a tripod or stand! I set the shutter drive to a 2 seconds timer to lessen any camera shake when taking the pic.

The camera mode is set to "Aperture Priority", which means that the lens speed is automatically adjusted. I set the ISO to 200 as I wanted as little "noise" (grain") as possible within the light tolerance (I used f11 to give some depth of field). No artificial light here - just daylight from a window by the table. I might invest in a good LED source or two.

And down the path of yet more kit we inevitably dribble...

:D

• Like 1

WOW! that second picture is pin sharp. beautiful.

that mount is a very good idea. my watch photography is something to be desired. i got the basics and haven't seemed to move past it.

one thing i can recommend, will, is to use manual focus rather than auto in such a tight spot. perhaps you are already doing that. i use an old manual canon lens (50mm 1.4) from the FD days and mounted it on an adapter to fit my newer EF canon camera. i got adapter rings for the old lens and have mounted magnifying lenses to it.

it's all manual adjustments because the depth of field it so shallow.

with a setup like you have i would stop it all the way to F22 and set my shutter speed to about 8 seconds in a darkened room. i've found that my focus is a lot better doing it that way.

wow, what i could do with that setup. hey - it only takes money.

apologies - i see you're using a manual lens already. i must have done some speed reading on your post.

Edited by ramrod

Having equipped myself with a couple of Canon 70D bodies and lenses, I tested out using my old Pentax Super Takumar 52mm lens with x1, x2 & 3x converter rings for macro photography of watch faces and movements. The lens, plus x2 converter, seems very good indeed, but the problem has been finding the right height for accurate focussing as the tolerance is quite tight.

Anyway, I spotted a £44 copy stand on eBay the other day and bought it (brand new) from a computer/electronics firm in Kent. It came this morning and, for the price, is very good, robust and well made. Picture enclosed. Watch pics to follow!

attachicon.gifCopy stand.jpg

Looks good Will, in your option would it support a SLR (Nikon D7000) or would it be too much. I have been looking at ways to improve the pics for the forum & using a tripod is not good it just gets in the way.

Looks good Will, in your option would it support a SLR (Nikon D7000) or would it be too much. I have been looking at ways to improve the pics for the forum & using a tripod is not good it just gets in the way.

I can't see any problem in using a Nikon - the mount is a simple screw and knurled wheel, and I assume the Nikon has the usual screw-threaded hole in the base. If not, you might need some kind of adapter.

How far you have to move up or down, use manual or auto focus, etc., will depend on the lens you use.

I can't see any problem in using a Nikon - the mount is a simple screw and knurled wheel, and I assume the Nikon has the usual screw-threaded hole in the base. If not, you might need some kind of adapter.

How far you have to move up or down, use manual or auto focus, etc., will depend on the lens you use.

Thanks Will I will have a look as I can tether the Nikon to my MacBook Pro so this will make life easier.

PS what was the shops name.

I bought the smaller version of this (CS305) some time ago mainly for document copying and portability and it really is excellent, but I think I should probably have got this larger version to make it more adaptable. The CS305 is fine for compacts but is not really high or strong enough to support a camera with lens. Looks like I'll have to get another :D .

Stephen