Omega Seamaster Calibre 1120 Jigsaw Part 1

Geo

This is the most appalling result I have ever come across from a so called professional watch repairer.

A friend asked if I could possible help out a friend of his who handed his Omega Seamaster in for repair and service because of moisture inside the case. He left it he watch feeling confident that he would have his pride and joy back working perfectly. Well a few weeks past and there was no message to say the watch was ready, or that any problems had been encountered. Weeks then became months then a year, a very patient man had had enough and went to the shop and asked for his watch back.

This is what he was given:-

post-124-0-31438600-1442691735_thumb.jpg

post-124-0-04226200-1442691826_thumb.jpg

I said I would have a look and reassemble the watch for him, after all there had only been a bit of moisture in it and the parts didn't have any severe corrosion on them. When I placed all the parts on a sheet of paper, there seemed to be a lot more than there should be. On close inspection, I found all sorts of issues that attributed to the increase in parts none if which could be attributed to slight moisture.

Centre Second Fourth Wheel - The gear wheel was off the shaft.

Escape Wheel - The wheel was off the shaft.

Auto Reversing Wheel - In bits.

Rotor Bearing - In bits.

Intermediate Ratchet Wheel - Separated.

Intermediate Date Wheel - Separated.

Lume on minute hand damaged

Lume on dial stained with oil.

post-124-0-87226400-1442691962_thumb.jpg

I managed save the date wheel by re-staking the gears and will sort out the lume, the rest have been ordered from Cousins. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the parts.

• Like 2

This is the most appalling result I have ever come across from a so called professional watch repairer.

A friend asked if I could possible help out a friend of his who handed his Omega Seamaster in for repair and service because of moisture inside the case. He left it he watch feeling confident that he would have his pride and joy back working perfectly. Well a few weeks past and there was no message to say the watch was ready, or that any problems had been encountered. Weeks then became months then a year, a very patient man had had enough and went to the shop and asked for his watch back.

This is what he was given:-

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I said I would have a look and reassemble the watch for him, after all there had only been a bit of moisture in it and the parts didn't have any severe corrosion on them. When I placed all the parts on a sheet of paper, there seemed to be a lot more than there should be. On close inspection, I found all sorts of issues that attributed to the increase in parts none if which could be attributed to slight moisture.

Centre Second Fourth Wheel - The gear wheel was off the shaft.

Escape Wheel - The wheel was off the shaft.

Auto Reversing Wheel - In bits.

Rotor Bearing - In bits.

Intermediate Ratchet Wheel - Separated.

Intermediate Date Wheel - Separated.

Lume on minute hand damaged

Lume on dial stained with oil.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I managed save the date wheel by re-staking the gears and will sort out the lume, the rest have been ordered from Cousins. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the parts.

Have ID'ed all of the bits now.

Have ID'ed all of the bits now.

Hi CB & Will.

I fully assembled the movement less the broken parts to work out exactly what was required. So I now know where everything goes including all the screws. I have it in bits again, and today will clean all the parts to allow assembly as soon as the new bits arrive. Watch this space!

• Like 2

Oh dear... This guy should not even be allowed to change batteries in cheap quartz movements !!

Wheel off the shaft, really ??? You really, really, really have to try hard to get that kind of result....

Great job Geo, hope it all works out in the end.

Seems hard to believe but, look at some of the pictures of Watchmakers tear downs on the web....

I thought the worst part on my 1120 was the date ring spring area, just under the top right of your picture. Didn't like installing that as it also retains a wheel. Good luck.

Cheers, Chris

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

The Omega owner is fortunate to have you do the work . Good luck with it and I'm looking forward to the finished product . Take as many pics as you can so guys like me can learn from your experience .

I got that same Omega not too long ago , I love it . I just ordered 2 more Omegas ,... a vintage Seamaster and a vintage Constellation . The seamaster meeds a New crystal , but I'll sort that stuff out when the watches arrive .

Well I started assembly yesterday and have discovered some more issues. Once assembled the movement did start to run..........very badly! On close inspection, I discovered that the parts that I didn't replace were exceptionally slack in their jewels. That means I will have to replace every pivot in the watch. So today I ordered a barrel arbour, intermediate wheel and pallet fork. The only pivots that were OK were the on the balance shaft.

Initially I was at a loss to understand how so many wheels were off their arbours, I think I now have the answer. I'm 99% certain that the parts have been soaked in rust remover, and this has eaten away the steel making the pivots rough and smaller in diameter and causing the wheels to fall off.

I'll keep you posted regarding how things go.

Well I started assembly yesterday and have discovered some more issues. Once assembled the movement did start to run..........very badly! On close inspection, I discovered that the parts that I didn't replace were exceptionally slack in their jewels. That means I will have to replace every pinion in the watch. So today I ordered a barrel arbour, intermediate wheel and pallet fork. The only pinions that were OK were the on the balance shaft.

Initially I was at a loss to understand how so many wheels were off their arbours, I think I now have the answer. I'm 99% certain that the parts have been soaked in rust remover, and this has eaten away the steel making the pinions rough and smaller in diameter and causing the wheels to fall off.

I'll keep you posted regarding how things go.

It,s never easy Geo but good analysis  work.  The costs must be mounting towards the national debt. :startle:

That looks like a lot of work but the end result will hopefully be worth the effort. I would have thought that the shop would have at least bothered to put the thing back together before handing it back unless the customer just said "I want it right now!" and that is why they got it back in pieces?

Either way, I hope that you post some pics when it is back up and running again.

I've just finished replacing everything that has a pinion except the balance wheel and the results are looking pretty good!

post-124-0-53374800-1444568408_thumb.jpe

I'll post a set of pictures of the assembly when I finish the watch.

• Like 4