Previous watchmaker was in a hurry I guess.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

Glued?

Yup!  I chipped some off...superglue I think.

7 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

What am I not looking closely enough at?

image.png.e157363eb81bf67383229dd519cc6d6f.png

I discovered this because, I noticed that the hairspring was not centered.  I removed it and performed the centering method I learned somewhere (??).  In the process, the roller jewel fell out!!  So, I had to remove the roller table.  It was quite hard to get off (using my Rex).  Once off, I found this.

I have since reinstalled the roller jewel, though it seems a little small, so I do not know if it is original.  I attached it in the traditional way using a brass holder to transfer the heat and a small chip of shellac.  No superglue.

Edited by LittleWatchShop

I've encountered superglue a number of times. Not always bad either- that's to say things worked pretty much as they should- not to say it'sacceptable. Last staff I had like this with my loupe I was like "oh God they peened the hole in the balance to fit the wrong staff!" But it was just glue. In this case it was to get the hairspring collet to hold.

Really interesting chrono with two vertical clutches.

20231109_150635.jpg

20231012_140051.jpg

Edited by nickelsilver
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, oldhippy said:

cowboy

do you know how many cowboys exist in the state of Texas?

11 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I am a cowboy!

I wonder if it might be easier to count who is not a cowboy in the state of Texas?

3 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Is it only Texas that has cowboys?

oh minor clarification for the world today I don't know may be cowpersons. were in the strange world of where and not sure where allowed to say cowboys anymore or cowgirls where may be cowpeople?

then cow people tend to be found in America other parts of the world they go by other names. Doing similar jobs involving cattle. So anyplace that you have cattle/cows where they need to be migrated or handled or something that's where you'd find these cow people. So basically all across America but Texas is a big state so it stands to reason that there would be a lot of them lurking around their.

10 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

do you know how many cowboys exist in the state of Texas?

I wonder if it might be easier to count who is not a cowboy in the state of Texas?

Having lived in Texas for more than 20 years, I can tell you conclusively that most people in Texas are decidedly NOT cowboys, but want to be associated with them. They used to be called "goat ropers". It's mostly just fashion, and to a lesser extent politics. There are real cowboys in and out of Texas, and fashion ones in the same manner.

Disclaimer: despite my extended tenure there, not once did I ever own, or have any desire to own a pair of cowboy boots or a cowboy hat. 

Further disclaimer: I CURRENTLY own a Stetson, but it's not a "cowboy hat"... shape, and I have it because I'm bald and pale (a lot of you English/Irish know what I'm talking about here), and I frequently have to work on the mountainside in the intense high altitude sun. Also, it was on clearance.

• Haha 1

Surprised about interest in the topic about the great state of Texas!  ...and cowboys.

I own over 45 acres...not all contiguous.  I lease 20 acres to run cows and 25 acres to run exotic deer.  I own a cowboy hat and cowboy boots and a John Deere tractor and associated implements. ...and I play guitar... I drive a pickup truck. 

None of this is incongruent with my watchmaking hobby, my expert-witness work in patent litigation, nor my past work as a college professor and textbook author.

My choice of beer: Shiner Bock. 

If you lived near me, you would find that I am the best friend you could ever have.

• Like 2

Shiner Bock 4.4% ABV. Over  we call that cats p*ss. I don't drink much these days but when I do it has to be 5% or over. My favorite used to be  Carlsberg Special Brew when it was 9%. They stopped brewing it at 9% now it is something like 7% and it is horrid.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spectre6000 said:

that most people in Texas are decidedly NOT cowboys,

that may be true but I went googling to see if I can figure out where I would find Cowboys one site went through heck of a lot of statistics it looks like cowboy jobs are on the way down by quite a bit they didn't of course explain why and the site was worthless because it didn't tell me where I would find a cowboy. So back to another site I find this one and oh dear Texas is number one. So looks like I stand corrected and guessed correctly that the biggest state probably would have more Cowboys then other locations

https://www.thetoptens.com/nations/cowboy-states-america/

2 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

So, is being a cowboy a birthright, a state of mind or a lifestyle choice?

I'm guessing it's not a birth right thing. But it would definitely be the other two things and it's also considered a job by some people.