Seiko 7009A Calnader Retaining Spring

I broke this clip (see pic) yesterday whilst stripping a Seiko 7009A. I have ordered a new one from cousins but my question is is there a special tool for it's removal or is there a neat trick.

I tried tweezers insuccessfully and tried to twist it off from it's front with an old screwdriver but no successs and using two screwdrivers either side to release the clip it snapped.

post-234-0-68574300-1436956399.png

CB, that's a tricky one! The clip presumably slid in flat to the dial. If it weren't a watch I'd use a pair of pliers with one jaw on the two points either side of the opening and the other jaw on the spindle or neck where the clip encircles it, with the pliers perpendicular to the dial. Trouble is that neck may not be strong enough to resist the sideways pressure.

Good luck with it.

Edit: Thinking about what I've just written, if the neck was strong enough to accept the force of putting the clip in place then it should resist the force of removing it. Pad the plier jaws with some PVC tape to avoid scratching. But you knew that!

Edited by clockwatcher

Hi CB.

I would use a piece of peg wood shaped like a screwdriver and push against the open end of the clip. The wood will ensure you do not scratch the disk underneath. At the opposite side where the arrow is, stick a piece of rodico slightly overlapping the clip to catch it from heading towards Pluto! Use the same pegwood to slide the new one into place.

Thanks guys I did try Geo,s method with a screwdriver with a piece of plastic underneath to avoid  scratching but the b*gger would not shift. I might have been just a tight one. Wondering if I had tried a bit of lubrication to assist with the sliding off. 

New clip/s arrived this morning but off the Italy tomorrow morning so will not re-visit this for a few weeks.

PPS the other problem I had with this watch was the dial gasket was perished & they are obsolete but found one in the USA $9.

Thanks guys I did try Geo,s method with a screwdriver with a piece of plastic underneath to avoid scratching but the b*gger would not shift. I might have been just a tight one. Wondering if I had tried a bit of lubrication to assist with the sliding off.

New clip/s arrived this morning but off the Italy tomorrow morning so will not re-visit this for a few weeks.

PPS the other problem I had with this watch was the dial gasket was perished & they are obsolete but found one in the USA $9.

I get my vintage gaskets from VTA or hal0eight (Adrian) on ebay. sent from OZ to UK in 4 days and cheap. Also doing repro parts that cannot be found any more.

http://vintagetimeaustralia.com/

Say hi to Italia for me [emoji1]

That was my first move but no way would the blighter shift. I have removed these clips before using the above but this one was naughty.

I was just wondering if there was a specific tool for this type of clip

The big problem is if you slip with a tool and scratch the indicators. I have a screw driver that is very sharp and gently lever up one leaf, working my way around. Seems to work ok. From memory I think the method is described on the Seiko service manual sheets, but may be for a similar movement though.

• Like 1

Im pretty sure the correct way according to the seiko tech sheets you insert a screwdriver at theopen end and twist, it works for me every time and it stays in shape as well, to refit i slide it down the canon pinion until it clips into place. Hope this helps you out.