Which Clock Have You Got Coming In The Mail (or you are picking up)? Show Us !!!

Michael1962

On 12/10/2021 at 1:04 PM, rodabod said:

Bought the clock it has the original bob also not the right key though need a double key for it bought one like this not long ago but it didn't have a pendulum,bob or the right key been looking on e-bay for one

No. I do not have this coming in the mail.

I am new to this as one can tell from my other posts. If I am not wrong, the hands on this clock are not original. It is a quartz pendulum and I can't tell whether the clock part even has any insides whatsoever. I even think there is one photo which shows a blob of yellow bluetack holding the movement cover on. $199? Nope.

This is right up there with @oldhippy's Russian clock.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/224740079199?hash=item34538d765f:g:-l0AAOSwcChhbiyT

Edited by Michael1962

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

What a pile of junk. I couldn't help but laugh at those hands. No one in their right mind would buy that. 

And that name on the dial: it should be a warning.  
"Made in Germany"!!!  Oh countrymen, my countrymen, why do you make these pieces of Schatz?  What can you be thinking?  
And why do I not see buttons or knobs protruding from the holes in the back cover?  And what is that grey blob that oozes from between the back of the dial and the case?  Has someone stolen the movement and replaced it with modeling clay?  And I laugh at the hands too!  A pair of black sticks, the minute stick being far too long for the dial, and neither one coming even close to matching the aesthetic of the clock!
Even if it had its original hands, I would not buy that.  A Kienzle or Hermle it most certainly is not.  What kind of cheap scheiss comes now from the land of my ancestors?  It is good, at least, that there are little more than two days left to bid and nobody has been foolish enough as yet.

Hi Karl  after the first picture I did not bother to look any further but just had another shufty, The clock looks like its been butchered, the original movement removed and a cheap quartz movement fitted, hence the gos awful hands that dont fit. the original movt would have the knobs on, the bit under the base drives the pendulum rotor and there is no wire either,  scheiss it realy is. It would have been interesting if it was as an origional condition.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a bit of a search around and keep seeing comments about 'raw' and 'boiled' linseed oil.

If I wanted to polish up a clock case, which is the correct oil to use? I presume from another post that I saw from @oldhippy, he said linseed oil first then follow with beeswax.

I think I have that correct?

Hi Michael   I have used both, raw takes longer to dry then the boiled and boiled was what I used on cricket bats tears ago.  I use boiled on the cases for the drying factor    I think the attached site explains it in more detail

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrIQhI0DM5hJBoAQSh3Bwx.;_ylu=Y29sbwMEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Ny/RV=2/RE=1640922293/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fwww.furnitureclinic.co.uk%2fblog%2fraw-vs-boiled-linseed-oil%2f/RK=2/RS=_Wgn.yMfAnQAUvWEEIxaUF6smwQ-

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for that guys. Helps heaps.

On the $5 dollar Grandmother clock that I bought, the main issue that it has not been running is a broken suspension spring.

I thought suspension spring, I have a bit of a clue about these. Have seen lots of photos of them and understand what they do. However, this suspension spring is in two bits. One half is still on the movement. The other half was in a plastic bag of other bits that came from the clock like the pendulum leader as well.

I am not sure how the half that is on the movement comes off. It does not look like a screw so I am wondering if it is a tapered pin. I have found a picture of the suspension spring online. It is a spring steel and plastic moulding. If I am correct, it is an Urgos suspension spring. I have found a place in Queensland that sells them $45 for the spring I am after , $75 for a variety of 6 Urgos suspension springs. I could buy there spring in the USA for $15USD ($21AUD), but then who knows what it would cost to post it. I am not sure whether to replace it with the same suspension spring or to make up another hook part to attach to the leader and use a suspension spring that is spring steel with brass ends as I am more used to seeing.

I am not sure what has happened to the one on the clock, but I am thinking the clock was moved with the pendulum attached and it has twisted the spring until it broke.

image.png.2e0356ecbf93c4b15aada76c9c56fb2a.png

Yes, I found those as well @oldhippy. I was thinking of changing the suspension to a brass one and then modifying the leader. The movement is actually still in the clock. I looked at it through one of the side access panels. The photo in my earlier post is one of a complete spring that I found on a website. The one that I have is in two pieces

On a separate note, I thought you might enjoy this (In a macabre sort of way). Apparently serviced and repaired a while ago but the clock, a wall mounted Junghans, stopped soon after. They then moved and have since given it to me to look at......my first thought was "yikes"! The whole thing needs bushing, there are worn pivots and generally the poor old thing needs a lot of love and attention but I'm not too sure what to do here. I may just use it as a training exercise to practice teeth repair.

Broken Teeth (1).jpg

Broken Teeth (2).jpg

• Sad 1

What a bloody mess. I don’t think I have ever seen such a disgusting poor bodge up as this. Whoever did that they should be ashamed of themselves? I hope they don’t think they are clock repairers.

With all the hammer marks looks like the part that the mainspring hooks on was at some time loose.

13 hours ago, Michael1962 said:

Yes, I found those as well @oldhippy. I was thinking of changing the suspension to a brass one and then modifying the leader. The movement is actually still in the clock. I looked at it through one of the side access panels. The photo in my earlier post is one of a complete spring that I found on a website. The one that I have is in two pieces

You need to make sure that everything is going to be around the same length and with the suspension spring the same strength or very close because this is vital to correct time keeping. I don't know how much you are able to adjust the pendulum bob to compensate the changes you wish to make. You must also make sure the leader is free and no way can it foul up. This sort of change is going to be a trial and error, so best of luck. 

11 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

What a bloody mess. I don’t think I have ever seen such a disgusting poor bodge up as this. Whoever did that they should be ashamed of themselves? I hope they don’t think they are clock repairers.

With all the hammer marks looks like the part that the mainspring hooks on was at some time loose.

I thought you would like it lol. This is the Chiming barrel. The going Barrel has also had repairs - but of a better quality - like the ones to the left of the picture of the bodge.