Which Clock Have You Got Coming In The Mail (or you are picking up)? Show Us !!!

Michael1962

18 hours ago, oldhippy said:

My eyes!!!  

Whew, well, it - um - doesn't really go with anything I have.  And I'm not sure I want anything it would go with.  Does that thing really have one of those little press-in quartz movements?  Sheesh, at least it's a Japanese one instead of Chinese.  But, wow, what a price!  The seller must be feeling optimistic. 

Hi  all nice clocks. The american ones are probably Ansonia  They will keep you out of mischief for some time.  Just be careful with the french ones as the pivots are glass hard and will not suffer abuse at all, but having said that they are beautiful clocks to work on.  The American ones have a look on the net for David La Bounty he is quite an authority on the clocks and has some technical data on them regarding the levers.  Have fun and enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

Both the French clocks are timepieces and are will have good movements, 8 day duration and as watchweasol has said be careful with all the pivots. I need to see the other two clock movements before I can tell who made them again watchweasol has mentioned Ansonia as it is one of the more common makes of American clocks, but there are many all very roughly the same. 

The last two are French as OH has already identified. I have found they are remarkably well made BUT don’t break a pivot. I don’t know what metal was used then but even if tempered drilling to replace a pivot is extremely difficult. Re- joining the two half’s of the last one Can be done using tile adhesive. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, clockboy said:

I don’t know what metal was used then but even if tempered drilling to replace a pivot is extremely difficult

You mean annealed perhaps? For that to be effective the cooling must be slower than just exposition to hair.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Both the French clocks are timepieces and are will have good movements, 8 day duration and as watchweasol has said be careful with all the pivots. I need to see the other two clock movements before I can tell who made them again watchweasol has mentioned Ansonia as it is one of the more common makes of American clocks, but there are many all very roughly the same. 

IMG_20211122_122534237.jpg

IMG_20211122_122327130_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211122_123434384_HDR.jpg

10 minutes ago, jdm said:

You mean annealed perhaps? For that to be effective the cooling must be slower than just exposition to hair.

i won't be doing  any annealing on the pivot's don't have the equipment to replace a pivot i will be very careful and hope i don't break one,or two.

43 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Yes typo annealed. But it really does not allow drilling after this process.

Definitely it should. If it doesn't, either the heating temperature was insufficient, or the cooling too fast. There are remedies for both issues.

I had the issue in 2019 with a french fly wheel pivot. The hole required was .40 and dispute my best efforts the tungsten drills broke even with the aid of a flag to ensure a perfect straight supported cut. However you might be correct with a very small pivot it could have been cooling too quickly and it was suggested to plunge the annealed pivot into sand to slow the cooling. However by the time this solution was suggested I had found a replacement wheel so never tried it. However since then I have drilled with spade drills with great success. 

A & N Paris from what I have found out it looks like A & N bought movements from Paris and assembled them in London. The number is just a movement number. 

The second French timepiece looks like 1882 in the round stamp. As you look at the back plate the 3 numbers on the left is the movement number and the original pendulum would have the same numbers stamped on the pendulum bob. The 3 numbers on the right are the length the pendulum should be, it is in french inches. 

The Ansonia is just a typical common strike movement.  

William L Gilbert clock is the interesting one out of the American clocks. It has full plates which you don't find in most American movements. It is in the style of English and German strikes, the springs are in barrels which with the American clocks they tend to be the open type. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The A & P is the one thats got the same number on pendulum as the movement, unfortunately the other one didn't have the pendulum with it so i need to have a look for one. Yes i was surprised to see the barrels in the Gilbert clock, didn't no that about the full plates though.

• 3 weeks later...