Ingersoll Wristwatch

GHW

• 1 month later...

I’ve had it to quite a few repairers and they all say the same thing, it’s no longer possible to get spare parts.

I’m afraid it may have ticked its last tock. It has no monetary value, just sentimental so unless I can get spare parts/ replacement movement . It seems it will go back in the drawer

2 hours ago, GHW said:

I’ve had it to quite a few repairers and they all say the same thing, it’s no longer possible to get spare parts.

Heheheh.  That sounds like a challenge to me.  Extremely difficult?  Maybe.  "No longer possible"?  Hardly ever.

Did any of these repairers say why they thought it would even *need* parts?  Or what parts it would need?  How do we know a good cleaning and fresh oil won't get her humming again?

2 hours ago, GHW said:

I’m afraid it may have ticked its last tock. It has no monetary value, just sentimental so unless I can get spare parts/ replacement movement . It seems it will go back in the drawer

It would be sad to have to give up on it.  Let's have a go at this.  Send the best pictures you can of the movement, and any numbers and marks it may have.  We'll work with those pictures to see if we can find a sorces for spares.  Meanwhile, if you can describe in what way it is not running correctly, we may be able to extrapolate causes, which can be the first steps in troubleshooting. 

Edited by KarlvonKoln
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Heheheh.  That sounds like a challenge to me.  Extremely difficult?  Maybe.  "No longer possible"?  Hardly ever.

Did any of these repairers say why they thought it would even *need* parts?  Or what parts it would need?  How do we know a good cleaning and fresh oil won't get her humming again?

It would be sad to have to give up on it.  Let's have a go at this.  Send the best pictures you can of the movement, and any numbers and marks it may have.  We'll work with those pictures to see if we can find a sorces for spares.  Meanwhile, if you can describe in what way it is not running correctly, we may be able to extrapolate causes, which can be the first steps in troubleshooting. 

You guys are great! I’ll go back to the last repair shop and ask the questions and try to get some pics.

Thanks very much for offering to help, much appreciated.

I think you will find that Jersymo  is right  watch repairers have to make a living, the ingersoll/smiths is a cheap watch abd spending time would be un economic for what he could charge for a clean/repair.

If his normal rate is £30 ph and spends 4hrs on the job  £120 its not worth it. and I guess £30ph is cheap for some.   A battry change, re seal and pressure test for some dealers  is £320 or £40 just for a pressure test so it all comes back to economics.      When you go back to the shop find out what it needs  what caliber it is and any thing relavant you can think of which may help us define the problem.        cheers

• Like 1

I had a look in the workshop this afternoon amongst my pile of watches and bit and I found an ingersoll watch which works. Its on the bench at the moment and I will check it out tomorrow and will post a picture. It looks similar to yours except I dont think it has the separate bridge for the escapement wheel but the pics will confirm.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 1:30 PM, watchweasol said:

Wats exactly wrong with it.   have a look under the balance wheel for the makers mark and the caliber numbre. On the pictures there appears to be some mark.

On 10/3/2021 at 12:13 PM, watchweasol said:

HI  ere are the two images as promised.  The watch was still running and keeping good time, there is no back plate. I kept it in a plastic bag on its own so condition is pretty good.

DSCF3597.JPG

DSCF3596.JPG

Just back from the repair shop. The watch is actually ticking now but I was told it is very sluggish and loses time and is prone to stopping altogether. Basically the movement is worn out. There are no numbers visible to identify. I’ll post some more pics in the hope someone recognises it. I took a video also but unfortunately it’s not able to be posted on here.

3849CF52-851D-4918-B050-1BDE5980AF99.jpeg

356EAD1E-2E68-430E-A7D2-0D79B87808CF.png

F93FAC52-CB2E-4C0C-8008-0EAB80DFB849.png

Hi  The one I have is a runner but does not have the center sweep hand but it keeps good time.  The diagnosis sounds a bit vague to say the least, sluggish and prone to stopping  sounds to me like it needs a good clean and lube after that re asses the situation.  More like he does not want to spend time finding out if he cannot charge for it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Michael1962 said:

I'm here because of the same reason. Everyone said my Seiko could not be repaired. And yet I found someone that did repair it.

Much of the time (not all, but much) when a technician says a thing cannot be repaired - he has grown accustomed to telling 'the short story' because the long story is "If I, the repairman, tell you how much I would charge to fix this thing and you, the owner, know you paid far less for it once upon a time, or perceive that the thing would not sell for that much, you would only balk at my price quote anyway, so why bother."
And really, a customer should at least hear *some* of the long story, to better understand why we do things the way we do.  It's a value judgement.  It's about the importance of the item to its owner.  If a watch is just a timepiece to its owner, then the owner needs to know if it will be cheaper for them to get another.  If the watch is a family treasure, then the owner needs to know a price in order to determine if they have enough to cover the repair, or if they will need to begin saving back.  Only the owner can make that decision.  But many people need more data, for them to truly understand and make the determination.  Just saying "It can't be fixed" is too little data. It feels like a lazy excuse.  In some situations it may be more accurate to say "*I* cannot fix it, and I can explain why, and then let me help you find someone who can."  Or "It cannot be fixed by *me* because I cannot get the part it needs; let me refer you to someone who knows how to make that part."  It takes longer to be more truthful, but it is better and people appreciate it more.
It has always been a sore spot with me, to hear someone say "That cannot be fixed," because it always leaves me wondering if perhaps I've spoken to the wrong person.  I always want to know why; why can it not be fixed, or why can you not fix it.