Is every thing a lie?

I got this at a yard sale some time ago. $5. IMG_4678.thumb.JPG.565c0216e2069d8e0d88513baefb27d3.JPG I shook it and the second hand started to move.  Later I noticed that the minute and hour hands were not moving.  I just got around to opening it up to see the problem and found it has two movements.  one for show and one for the time.

IMG_4674.JPG

IMG_4675.JPG

IMG_4676.JPG

IMG_4677.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I saw a movement like that in the latest Cousins monthly booklet, It says to be used in conjunction with a quartz movement they retailed at 12£. Now i Know how it is used .  Is it functional or just for show.  The actual movement of the watch looks fixable/replaceable though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clockboy said:

A few years ago my neighbour asked if I could change the batteries in his Fossil watch. 

That below. It's interesting how some people are attracted by this type of "fauxness" but other horrified by the same.

I've seen a couple watches like that.  They're a trip.  They're what I think of as "pretenders"; meant to appear to be a much more expensive and complicated watch than they actually are, and not really copying any particular make.  Generally, they work fine; telling time with a little Miyota movement, and putting on a show with an exposed balance or whatnot.  
If you fall in love with the looks of such  a watch, there's nothing wrong with that, as I see it.  And if anything goes amiss, a new movement can be had for under $10 US.
If you need more than just looks, and want to admire a beautifully made mechanism, you may find this kind a little bit disappointing.